“Overall, 9 out of 10”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, BC
“Overall, 9 out of 10”
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Spent two nights over a recent weekend. The staff throughout the stay were unusually friendly and helpful, which is obviously the result of some great training. The location of the hotel, right on the edge of the Gaslamp District, is superb with many great restaurants and shopping choices within steps (including Horton Plaza mall which is directly across the street).

We stayed in a “Landmark Suite” (which is one of their mid-sized suites). The suite was pretty impressive with modern and comfortable furnishings and amenities including a Bose stereo, separate living room, modern marble bathroom, etc. I would estimate it to be around 500 sq. ft. The room decor was fresh and done in an "old meets new" motif with traditional style moldings and carpets juxtaposed against modern halogen lighting and flat panel TVs, etc. Due to the location of the hotel, the view from the room was non-existent (not surprising). Strangely, despite the recent $50 million plus renovation, the room windows are of the old single-pane variety whereas modern double glazing would be helpful in cutting out street noise.

The lobby is beautiful but didn't knock our socks off. I think they could have made it truly spectacular by restoring the old wooden surfaces and Corinthian columns to their original 1910 glory rather than cladding the columns in beige marble and painting the carved tops in a blue distressed looking metallic finish of questionable taste, as they have done. As a result, the lobby, with its huge glittering crystal chandeliers, has an almost Vegas-like grandeur without the historical authenticity that it rightly deserves. Overall though, they have created a modern and comfortable hotel while retaining some of the historical charm of the building. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tjk1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I got this hotel on a deal on Sky Auction.com. My husband and I spent 4 days there and enjoyed every minute of it. The service of this hotel is wonderful. All the staff is very friendly and helpful, some of the best service I have ever had in a hotel and I have stayed some nice places. The Grant Grill is pricey but it was the best food I had all my vacation, the chicken hash is not to be missed. If you like beer, the yard house is right next store and it has the largest draft beer selection in the world. Overall this hotel met all expectations. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed August 2007
LA, CA
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Design-wise, the hotel lobby and restaurant/lounge are nice and decent, but not breathtaking or cutting edge. That's why it's surprising when you walk into your hotel room. It's quite gorgeous, as well as the bathroom. Very nicely decorated, the painted headboard is a nice touch. Some might find the room size a tad bit small, but we had no complaints.

The location is perfectly situated in downtown San Diego. Pretty much everything (Gaslamp, Petco Park, Convention Center, etc) is within walking distance. However this becomes a problem in the morning when the downtown rush hour traffic wakes you up. The hotel's not very high, so it's very difficult to escape the noise.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The street noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank edwardla
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 10, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed there for 2 nights last weekend. I initially chose it for it's history and recent remodel. The hotel is smack dab in middle of gaslamp district with plenty of shops, restaurants, clubs within walking distance. Trolley and bus stops are steps away from hotel doors. Hotel itself is gorgeous! **Ask concierge to view the hotel's archive photgraph book.**
I booked the romatic getaway package for about $300 per night. This was supposed to include king bed room with view, floral arrangement, champagne, and breakfast up to $50. The room itself was fabulous and I was pleasantly surprised as it looked much like the pictures from hotel website. It was also clean and well decorated. It was extremely quiet and I never once heard anyone next door - as is usually the case in hotel rooms.
Now here were my issues: The room had a view of parking structure and a condemned graffitied building behind that. Shortly after we arrived to our room, a maid entered without knocking to ask about turn down service (which I thought odd). The bottle of champagne was probably one of the worst tasting champagnes I've ever had. I certaintly wasn't expecting Dom but I did expect a nice Verve or Piper. The flowers didn't arrive until the second day - halfway through our trip. The breakfast was excellent. I highly recommend their version of hash browns - it's flavored with shitake and the subtle flavor of mushroom infused into the potatoes is very tasty.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would most likely return to visit this landmark hotel.

• Liked — Room was large, clean and nicely decorated.
  • Disliked — No bathtub and no view.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asiangirl007
Phoenix
Reviewed August 6, 2007

After reviewing prior guest’s experiences, I was mixed. However, after my girlfriend and I (in our young 30’s) stayed there, the U.S. Grant was excellent – and I’m very discriminating. The location was close to a variety of restaurants and several clubs. Restaurants were within a couple blocks along with several great bars (busy at the time due to the Red Sox in town). Parking was easy and everyone was very helpful and attentive. We asked the hotel where to go for dinner and several employees were more than helpful, giving us location, directions and advice (we ended up eating at the Yard House across the street – great burger and fries & gin and tonics). The hotel rooms were well decorated and clean; room service was prompt and nice. Did not eat at the hotel restaurants, nor visit the pool or workout room – no opinions there, but will definitely return.

• Liked — Nice and elegant; great location
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esq
Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2007

What a great experience! We stayed at the U.S. Grant for six nights 7/26-8/1. This hotel is absolutely beautiful and the service is top-notch. I highly recommend it. I can't say enough about how nice every hotel employee is. The location is great, very close to some wonderful restaurants in the Gaslamp District and right across the street from Horton Plaza.

I stayed with my husband and two children, 8 and 10 years old, in a room with double beds. Our room was a nice size and well appointed. Keep in mind that there are only showers in all but a few rooms - this was not a problem for us. There are two robes in the closet for your use. I needed more hangers which were brought up within a few minutes after I requested them.

If you are easily bothered by noise, then definitely request an inside room as suggested by another reviewer. Our room was right next to the elevator so we could hear it through the night as well as the people in the hallway. I did not want to pack up and move to a different room, so we found a simple solution to cover up the noise by turning the A/C fan on to low or medium - perfect white noise. Our friends has an outside suite and heard noise until late in the night from the bar across the street. I told them about my fan trick and it worked for them.

This hotel does an excellent job at making their guests feel welcome. We found the staff to be most friendly and accomodating - it is obvious they are out to please. We were greeted with a hello and a smile by every employee that we passed. The doormen and valets even remembered our names. They also make great recommendations for restaurants and give very helpful driving directions.

The only slightly negative experience was with the housekeeping. They often took our four wet towels to replace them with two or three new towels. I had to call Guest Services daily to have them send up more towels - which they did quickly and with a smile. In the sceme of things, this wasn't really a serious issue, especially with the way they took care of it! Also, they let us have extra towels to take to the local beaches!!!

The Grant Grill is quite expensive, about $80.00 for a breakfast for four, and not the best choice for kids (items were too 'gourmet' for my kids!). We found a great local diner - The Cheese Shop - that served the best, huge breakfast. We also had great meals at Hard Rock, Sammy's Pizza, and Croce's.
'
Again, stay at this hotel if you get the chance. You won't regret it! We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2007
2 Thank leeala
san francisco
Reviewed July 31, 2007

The U.S. Grant is a beatiful hotel in a somewhat run down part of downtown San Diego. Our room was nicely decorated, but smelled musty..The halls smelled even worse. The housekeeping was very "sub-par", as one past reviewer noted. They left dirty glasses, didn't dust or wipe down surfaces, and didn't refill toiletries or coffee. The staff was friendly, especially the doormen..and we always got a greeting and smiles upon arrivals.

• Liked — Great decor!
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to daily room cleaning.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple