“Beautiful Historic property, excellent service!”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #48 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Booked a room as a surprise for family in the area. Location was perfect, property was gorgeous, staff was good and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

We did have an issue of housekeeping not coming during the day and we were forced to call around 8 pm to get toiletries and the beds made while we had dinner, but this was not a big deal.
US Grant Grill was amazing.

I got a discounted rate so I certainly cannot complain and was entirely satisfied, but I would be hesitant to pay full price, especially with internet, breakfast, and parking not included in the high room cost.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Thank you so much for the fantastic review Josh! Sorry about the housekeeping confusion one of your days but I am glad that the staff, location and Grill made up for that. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Very nice stay but the hotel needs to fix the elevators. Avoid room numbers that end with 04 or 06. Hotel is aware of the problem and the excessive noise that they create. Attractive bar and private dining.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Charliebugs_11
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

04 I would agree with you but only from floors 3-7. 06 on the other hand is actually the largest of the superior double rooms so they do have their advantages! But definitely don't rule out all 04 otherwise you would be missing several floors of suites on the higher floors! Sorry there was some elevator noise during your stay; the reminder of our historic nature. I am glad that beyond this the stay was pleasurable for you and we hope o welcome you back to a 1,2,3,5,7,8 or 9 room! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We really liked this nice old Hotel. Its very Quiet, unless you are next to the elevators. Those old elevators can make a lot of noise in the middle of the night.
But the rest of the hotel has been beautifully redone and the food for breakfast was very good. Next time we are here we going to try the restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

You certainly should try the restaurant for dinner! We look forward to welcoming you back. The bread that comes with dinner is sinful and actually so good I often cant make it to dessert which is a crime in itself. Definitely look forward to you joining us for dinner at the legendary Grant Grill! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Reading the reviews I knew this nickel and dime hotel was not for me, but had no choice as we were part of a group.

Location- Homeless all around the hotel.
Reception- The staff in general is very well trained and friendly.
Breakfast –Not included
Room-For a luxury property and for the price of a 2 double bed, not a queen room, they are on the small size. The last day we also found out some members of the group got fruit trays and some didn’t, even though we were spg members and some weren’t.
Light for reading –Good
Bed –Very comfortable mattress. European style duvet which I hate. Maybe I could have asked for a blanket, but I didn’t think about it. Wee were too tired every night from sightseeing.
Air Conditioning-Very noisy
Wi-Fi- for a fee! Really, round 400 dollars a day and no free Wi fi?
TV-Good size modern
Refrigerator-The kind that if you touch anything it immediately charges it to the room! You can’t store your own stuff. They have a note that there is a limited amount of refrigerators they can bring to your room, but it will cost you in space. We didn’t ask for one.
Room for bags-Very tight even though this room was one level up from superior.
Tea Kettle or coffee maker- None! If you go downstairs to the restaurant there is free coffee very early in the morning. But no one tells you, we found out by chance.
Bathroom-Good size short on counter space. Cheap Angel Soft toilet paper and cheap tissue, no Kleenex here.
Shower pressure-Fair
Cloths line-none
Safety bar in bathroom-no safety bars at all.
Towels-Plenty and very thick. It is a joke that they have no room to hang towels to dry, but they ask you not to change them every day.
Amenities-Good quality, but very basic for such an expensive rate.
Hair dryer-Conair! Not exactly luxury line.
Full length mirror-Yes
Makeup mirror-Yes, but light was broken on ours
Parking-39 dollars a day!
Iron and ironing board-yes
Complimentary bottle water-Yes
Plugs-Good next to the bed
There is too much light in the rooms and they must be close to a fire department because we heard a lot of sirens during the night.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Starviagera

I think your first sentence kind of defined the trip a bit and seems to explain the focus of your review; sometimes its hard to overcome those predetermined notions. I appreciate though that even while recognizing that this type of hotel may not be your style that you still gave a fair review for the staff service itself; truly we appreciate that! Our staff is what we take the most pride in. Starwood has 9 brands for a reason, not every guest fits one mold! Thank you for joining us for your conference and I trust the event itself went fantastic. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The US Grant stood out during our 3 week vacation to the US and Hawai, the excellent Service
the wonderfull Lobby and an a la carte breakfast, not a buffett, first time in years that we got this.
Rooms small, but very nicely decorated.
Whenever my travels bring me back to SD, this will be my place to stay

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for the future business and we look forward to welcoming you back as your new home in San Diego. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed here recently and I was looking for a nice hotel for a special occasion, as I have stayed at many luxury hotels I do realize that older hotels tend to have smaller rooms but make up for it with decoration. I had booked a legacy suite and the room was very nice but the bathroom was tiny! There was no tub to soak in and there was absolutely no space for my cosmetics, toiletries or to blow dry my hair. The in-room dining was very good and I cannot fault the staff. The Valet was extremely nice and so was the front desk staff, the lobby is beautiful although a few of the light blue sofas are looking tired. We enjoyed our stay overall, we had a king bed but it was not the most comfortable of beds, a little on the hard side. I like this hotel but it is not a 5 star experience even the staff who are very friendly were not overly service oriented. I don't think I would stay here again because the room and service do not warrant a 400$ room and 39$ Parking charge. There is also no pool which I did know about but after everything else you realize that the price is just too high with an amenity like that missing. My boyfriend had a massage and he said it was good but not excellent. I had free wifi but it came with my starwood membership. I also would never recommend the Grant Grill for breakfast - save money and go somewhere else. The dinner however was amazing.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amanjeanwill

Fairly accurate in several waysamanjeanwill and I am never one to argue facts! Technically we are not 5 star. many guests go by our star ranking on trip advisor or other booking engines but in reality "true" 5 star hotels are ranked by Forbes and one of the requirements is to have a pool! Since we do not, regretfully we are Forbes 4 star but having worked at 5 star properties myself I can say I am proud of the service our staff offers as on par with those hotels. They may be 90 years newer but we have a charm they cannot build from scratch... it take years of history to accomplish! Thank you for the feedback and praise for the IRD, Valet and front desk staff. We wish you the best in all your future travels! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel! We stayed at the US Grant for 3 nights at the start of a 2 week holiday around California and it was our favourite of them all. The rooms are decorated to the highest standard and all details considered, an extremely comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. We were next to the road and although a little noisy at times it certainly wasn't the hotels fault. The breakfast was one of the best we've ever had, table service, all freshly made and we were made to feel like royalty. The concierge Lee Ann was exceptional at her job and truly made our stay. A great location in the Gas Lamp quarter we walked everywhere and made the most of the local bars and restaurants. The bar is beautiful and they serve a great selection of drinks and snacks as part of happy hour. There's not many places we'd go back to as there's a whole world to see but we'd go back to San Diego to stay in this iconic hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Burrellstravels

We are very proud that Le Ann made such a positive impact on your stay! She is an integral part of the best concierge team in San Diego (that's right, I said it). We look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office