“Old Town style at a reasonable price”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #45 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Wendover, Nevada
“Old Town style at a reasonable price”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed here three nights for a conference with work. The rooms are a little smaller than most, but the hotel is 103 years old. The renovations must have been fairly recent since everything was there. And everything was very well maintained and beautiful A lot of real wood and comfortable elegant feel.The restaurant was excellent and the hotel staff was very friendly. Out of the way to make you happy kind of friendly. I was not too impressed with the cleaning staff, running around speaking Spanish the whole time and they seemed to be in the way as I went up and down the hallways. They are narrow, but they could have a better plan. Overall, the stay was great.

Room Tip: I had a king bed and it completely filled the sleeping area. Not much room to walk around, but I lo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your mostly positive review RonGiovo. yes our housekeeping does work those hallways as they have quite the job to do keeping our hotel pristine after 103 years of standing proudly in San Diego. Thank you for sharing your great experience and we look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Pocatello
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was our first time staying at this beautiful historic hotel. I was very impressed with the grandness of it. My room was beautiful and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The valets were so nice and gave us service fit for royalty. As they were the first people we encountered upon our arrival we appreciated be made to feel special and welcomed. I felt genuinely pampered during my three night stay. Although they do not have a pool, they have partnered with a hotel across the street that has a pool. As our hotel is a historic icon I completely understand why they do not wish to put in a pool. This has been the best experience I have ever had at any hotel. The turn down service was great, having never had that before. Although my husband ate all the chocolates! ;) The service was outstanding, the accommodations luxurious and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you to all the staff for helping my first visit to San Diego be so
wonderfully memorable!

• Stayed July 2014
Wow, just wow. "The best experience I have ever had at a hotel". I don't know if there is anything more I can say other than thank you so much! Jared, Director of Front Office
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I went with my wife to the US Grant and we felt like we were treated like royalty. At the US Grant it seems like everyone loves their job. They always greet you with a smile and they always show you the utmost respect. They show you that you are the guest and they will do anything it takes to make your stay the most enjoyable it could be.
We used the valet parking. It costs $39/day (unlimited in & out). You have the ability to text down to have your car brought out to you. When you get to your car they will greet you like valet should and they will open the door for you and your passengers. They also have a fridge full of cold water bottles available to you if you would like. No other valet I've ever dealt with has ever treated me in the same manner.
I went to the US Grant for my anniversary and the reservations manager (Magdalena) did all she could to make sure that the room I got was the best they had available, with the best views. We got a corner room with an amazing view of the bay. The hotel has an elegance to it that I havent seen in any local hotel. My deluxe room was spacious and nicely decorated, from the moldings in the room to the way they set the beds it was all top-notch.
Our room had turn-down service which I had never experienced before, but now that were at a different hotel my wife is asking "where are they, shouldn't they come to turn-down the beds"?
We had wanted to upgrade to the Signature suite but none were available. They did allow us to see the suite and we were actually happier with our deluxe room (which had a much better view).
If I'm ever back in San Diego the US Grant is the place I have to stay.

Room Tip: You want a room facing the bay on a high floor. Our room was at the end of the hall and therefore th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MDrills
Thank you so much for the great response and I will share your great feedback with our sterling valet team as well as recognize Magdalena for her efforts in securing you a great view! We thank you for celebrating with us and look forward to your next return. Jared, Director of Front Office
SoCal
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The U.S. Grant has definitely seen some changes since opening its doors over 100 years ago! Situated directly across from Horton Plaza in San Diego's Gaslamp District, the U.S. Grant offers a trip back in time - that is, if you had some coin. Part of Starwood's Luxury Collection, the hotel has 270 guest rooms among 11 floors. A recent renovation features updated bathrooms and original artwork by Yves Clement as headboards in the rooms.

We recently stayed overnight on a government rate and I'm pretty certain that our room assignment was a direct correlation to our rate. The room faced another bank of rooms, where we could wave to other guests without any problem. And while the room was beautifully appointed, it was very compact. Combined with the lack of light from our window (since we had to keep the drapes drawn for privacy), it felt very cramped indeed. Stocked with Remede toiletries, a writing desk, TV and CD player, and 300 thread-count sheets, our room was definitely luxurious... I just wish it had 50 more square feet! I also wish that the rooms were a little more soundproof, but given that this is an historical property, it's somewhat expected.

The staff was helpful and the public areas were beautiful. The hotel also houses the Celebration Fine Art Gallery, with works by many renowned artists, as well as a Fitness Center. Valet parking, while not a bargain at $39/night, is extremely convenient and they are very attentive. There was a complimentary coffee and juice bar in the morning, as San Diego was hosting the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. Beautiful areas to lounge in the lobby and sip your coffee or read a paper. I would recommend this property based on its historical significance, location and luxury. However, I would definitely suggest you book at the regular rate!

Green Features: The hotel should be commended for its dedication to conservation (both energy & water) as well as its waste minimization program. They also have organic and fair-trade food offerings, and have eliminated threatened seafood species from their menus.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your storied reply! it almost seemed like i was reading it from a novel! yes our historic nature does at times lead to smaller rooms (can you believe at one point this property had over 350 rooms?? In the same size building!). Thank you for recognizing the luxurious appointment of our current 270 rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Once we found this hotel we keep going back to it. It is an amazing historial hotel in the gas lamp district. We have been three times in the last year. Many many restaurants right out the front door. We have also enjoyed happy hour at the bar and the breakfast is great.
Bed's are very comfortable and the turn down service is a nice touch. Very welcoming staff. Suites are room but so are the standard rooms. Ask for a corner room if you can get it and ask what the view is like out you rooms window. Love this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
This is exactly what we aim for! Consistency and excellent service over multiple visits. That is the true test of luxury hotels! Thank you for recognizing us this way and we look forward to every stay coming! Jared, Director of Front Office
Studio City
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed 3 weeks and was completely satisfied with every aspect of the hotel, service in all departments was top rate, some small overcharges on parking were corrected without any discussion. restaurant can get a bit noisey but still was entirely satisfactory.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are spacious and have lots of light during the day although street noise can be a probl...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
This review I am particularly proud of.... 3 weeks is a long time by anyone's standard so to see that our consistency held true makes me proud to go to work every day. Thank you for your review! Jared, Director of Front Office
Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed two nights at the US Grant and we were very impressed with the service. The check-in service was fast, friendly, and they put us in a very nice room with a very spacious bathroom. Even the housekeepers stood out -- they were super friendly, came around to offer chocolates and extra water. The turndown service was also very appreciated.
The valet parking staff were excellent and they also offered to provide directions and advice on travel. The location of the hotel was awesome -- right in Gaslamp district with walking distance to a lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: Get an American Express SPG card.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I love it when a good stay comes together! (Shameless A Team plug) Thank you for your amazing review and for being our guest. We look forward to welcoming you back for an even longer stay next time! Jared, Director of Front Office