“Lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Twickenham
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We booked two king rooms and on arrival to the rooms were given the wrong rooms as they were twin rooms. We had to go back to reception again iThese were changed and then one room in particular must have been the smallest king room in the hotel. The other also had no bottled water in the room. It was slightly disappointing as we have stayed here before and had a lovely room. We had a couple of drinks on the 'happy hour' but each time had to ask for the Happy hour menu as the staff were not forthcoming with offering this. However, the staff are very nice and helpful especially the valet guys.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Sorry to hear about the confusion of the bed types at check in but I am glad the staff and service made up the experience to bring the review back to 4 stars at least! We hope we welcome you back in the future for a 5 star experience! Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful lobby. Comfortable room that maintained its historic ambience. All of the staff were very friendly, helpful, and customer - oriented. Room was well priced. Room service was overpriced. But lots of great restaurants in walking distance. Will definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
With such a positive review, I wonder what we can do to push this review to 5 stars! Thank you for the positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon Elaine and perhaps next time join us in the historic Grant Grill on the lobby level instead of In Room dining. Though the delivery is convenient it is no secret that there are fees associated with that convenience. Thank you again for being our guest! Jared, Director of Front Office
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I've never met a valet like Paul the doorman at the US Grant and I can't imagine a better breakfast.

We got in late on a Saturday night after the long flight from the east coast -- sitting behind people who put their seats all the way back while the plane was still taxiing. Tired. Grumpy. Ready for whatever unpleasant experience was coming next. The cab pulled up and Paul was right there. Somehow, after fifty other Saturday evening check-ins, he remembered my husband's first name. Incredible. He immediately offered chilled water. Lovely. He smoothly took our bags, ushered us to the front desk, and introduced us to the check-in person. Perfect. One employee made all the difference in our moods and set us up to like -- or at least tolerate -- whatever came next.

Because of our Starwood status, the continental breakfast was included. I've had a lot of hotel breakfasts and thought I knew what to expect. But never, ever, have I had a free hotel breakfast that started with an amuse bouche. Three tiny, luscious muffins. And not just on Sunday. Once again, we were set up to like whatever came next.

Great service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Wow CDinDC, thank you so much for your praise and recognition of Paul! As I a sure you know, it really only takes one ambassador to make a big difference in a guests' experience. We are very proud that Paul was able to do this for you and he will certainly be recognized. Thank you for your kind words about the restaurant experience as well; we look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
Morelia, Mexico
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I visited San Diego just for a weekend and decided to stay at The US Grant hotel, and it turned out to be an amazing weekend.
As soon as I got to the hotel Anthony greeted me and escorted me to the Front Desk, once there Danielle checked me in and gave me the great news that I had been upgraded, the Front Desk Supervisor Kaylyn helped me choose a place for dinner and was very kind and helpful.
The next morning the Concierge Albert recommended me an amazing place for lunch, but nothing could ever beat the Waffle Brunch they had in the hotel on Sunday, Alberto and Augusto recommended me the espresso waffles and I have to say, I had never tasted something that wonderful!
I got to the hotel around 2am and Dorian assisted me with my Room Service order, he suggested the Chicken Cobb Salad and I loved it!
The hotel is amazing but the people are who make it a very special place, at the Front Desk Magdalena and Bogdan went above and beyond to make sure my stay was unforgettable and perfect!
This is by far, the best hotel in San Diego!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Mauricette_rd
I had to stop and take notes of all the names you mentioned; thank you for your attention to detail! Though I am sure you are successful in whatever your career is; you would also be an excellent hotel shopper with your attention to name detail. We thank you sincerely for your review and for your support of our historic hotel and hope to welcome you back to our familiar friendly service soon. Jared, Director of Front Office
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The US Grant is a beautiful historic hotel. I really wanted to love it, but there were a few things that I just can't overlook.

For a 4 Diamond AAA property, first of all, my sleep quality comes first. I expect a comfortable mattress. Yes, I got a great event rate: $159 a night (Queen bed) that can't be beat in downtown San Diego, but a discount should not affect my comfort. I must assume all beds are the same?

The mattress was very soft and it was ok the first night when I was there on my own. For the next 2 nights my husband joined me and we ended up rolling onto each other in the "pit" = the center of the bed. As he is bigger than me, I kept rolling onto him. Not comfortable.
We both did not get good rest and our bones and joints hurt from the inconvenience.

The noise did not help. It's definitely not a quiet hotel. Maybe we heard the elevator? Something kept making noises.

The room itself was very nice. Fairly small as in a typical city hotel but nicely appointed. The bathroom was also very nice. Unfortunately, shower pressure was not very good and it took a long time for the water to heat up (as we are in a drought in CA, something to think about to change; might be more effective than offering points to not get your towels changed).

Last, the blinds in the room were odd. While I loved the fact that the windows could be opened at least a little bit from the bottom; once the windows are up, the blinds in the bathroom don't cover the full window. It means that if you go to the toilet, you have to close the window so people from the other rooms (right across a small area) can't see your "bits". I asked the cleaning lady about the curtain and she also could not figure out any other way than to close the window to keep privacy.

I used the gym every day, which is in the basement and small but ok (thanks for all the free water). As a yogi, I would have appreciated a mat as I forgot mine and the workout mats are too thick. Not sure what would have happened if there were 2 yogis, as there would not really be enough space (neither in the room).

Having said all this, the hotel is really nice and what I liked best was the staff. They could not have been kinder, more helpful and friendly (thanks Johanna from Austria and Jonathan). When I left my handbag in the bar one night, somebody brought it up to my room the next day.

Also nice, the free coffee in the morning in the restaurant - and I mean very good coffee. Plus, there was ample free water in our room. Also 2 nice bathrobes, slippers and a safe.

The location is very convenient for the downtown area. We took the water ferry a few blocks away over to Coronado Island. Roy's at the Marriott is in walking distance as was Sally's by the marina. Both lovely restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good mattress?
Green Features: It would probably be more environmentally friendly to have showers that heat up faster and hence waste less water. Also, whlie I appreciate free water bottles, at least the gym could have a water cooler. Best, give guests a free plastic bottle to refill.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natascha T
Thank you for sharing your feedback princess vontrapp! I gotta say I am saddened to hear your feedback about the bed. Generally our beds receive such high praise I am surprised and deeply apologetic that this one did not deliver this time. I wish I could discover which room you were in but the beauty of social media is its anonymity. Nevertheless, I am appreciative that otherwise the hotel was to your expectations. I wish you all the best in your future travels. Jared, Director of Front Office
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a grand old hotel in the heart of San Diego. It's not tall enough to see all the sights, nor located strategically for the views, but it is luxurious and convenient. This older hotel makes for unique architecture and character, and also single-pane windows, so expect to hear the activity of the city or request a room above the fray of the city noise. We have found that being a Starwood guest makes a good difference, if you can be patient and kind. We stayed on the 11th floor and we only heard a siren once during our 4-day stay. They have a great restaurant (Grant Grill) in the lobby, and it is close to virtually everything. I'd suggest parking in a parking lot 1-2 blocks away for $15-20 day versus the $40/day+tip cost of the hotel parking lot. Overall, a grand, romantic stay at a grand, romantic hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew B
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
We are proud to have hosted your grand romantic stay in our grand romantic hotel; love that wording! Thank you for being a loyal SPG member also, we always want to do what we can to recognize your loyalty to Starwood. At one time we had commanding views of the harbor and everything in downtown.... until about 50 years ago when the town grew up around us. Now we stand as a testament to that classic luxury of a time since past (with modern furnishings!) Jared, Director of Front Office
Portland
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We checked in on a Saturday. As a Starwood Platinum elite, we value our suite upgrades. No upgrade. We were given a basic superior. I looked at SPG online reservations and they had three suites available. Landmark, presidential bi level and a penthouse suite. I immediately called for a manager and was told unfortunately the online website was incorrect and the suites were sold out. I also called for water as there was no water in either of the two rooms I booked for my assistant and myself. This produced a comedic routine of whose on third, so I had my assistant call separately while I went to see if a housekeeper could assist. Approximately one hour later two bottles arrived for my assistant, but none in my room. Thankfully at evening turndown 4 hours after my request, water was left on the bed stands.
We noted a fair amount of noise from the streets until after 1 am. Given the hotel is in Gaslamp I suppose on a Friday or Saturday you better expect some noise from all the club goers. I will be in San Diego frequently over the next 6 months with work. Our bank tower is quite close to the hotel and we do receive a corporate rate, but I'm unsure if I want to stay again. I'm usually well received at another property in San Diego and this was a test drive that didn't go so well. So I might need to pass on scoring SPG check ins and points.
In the future I would want to use guaranteed suite upgrades because I was skeptical whether or not I was treated fairly.
Amenities are Remede, rooms were small but comfortable. No bathtub. Plenty of towels and oversize bath sheets. No complimentary coffee or tea maker in room. We called the service express operator and they didn't have a clue, so we finally got transferred to the front desk who said the complimentary coffee was in the lobby.
This is a famous hotel, having hosted 14 presidents. It's beautifully lit at night, has a nice lounge with jazz trio and hosts a lot of corporate events. It also hosts tourist buses which were checking in right after me and apparently they had reserved all the premium rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank PDXStocks
I am thankful for your review and I hope you are able to see this response as I would love for you to come back and have your expectations more closely met. I definitely respect your platinum loyalty and also your repeat business travel. You are right with the suite upgrades... Saturday arrivals are uncommon for our business travelers and most suites are gone by Friday so definitely use your Suite Night Awards if you have them. Midweek can be a lot easier for platinum upgrades but, as the program says, its subject to availability and sometimes only the big specialty suites are left! Sorry about the waters though; that definitely should not have happened. Also, quick note about the coffee that may help you next time: while there is complimentary coffee in the Grant Grill each morning; we can also send a coffee maker to your room. I think the coffee downstairs is better but it is convenient having it there for you. Let us know next time so we can note your profile for your future stays and better serve you! Jared, Director of Front Office