“Your Experience Could Vary”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My brother and his family live in San Diego so my wife and I often travel to San Diego, and over the decades we have stayed at a number of hotels. We first started to stay at the U.S. Grant a couple of years ago, and it's become our preferred hotel. My last stay was during the NCAA tournament in San Diego in March.

I book through a travel agent who is a member of a large agency (Virtuoso and Casto Travel) and am a member of SPG. As a result, I am probably able to obtain upgrades and other amenities that you may not be able to obtain on your own. It's clear that the reception and restaurant staff are aware of this. I have just read some of the negative reviews about this hotel, and am surprised and disappointed, so it appears that your experience could vary from mine.

In my experience, the staff has always been first rate. The receptionist who checked me into the hotel this time was very pleasant, quick and responsive. Ditto for the bell man. A light went out in my room, and was replaced within an hour. I ate breakfast all four mornings in the hotel, had a late dinner one night, and lunch one afternoon: on all occasions the restaurant and bar staff were first rate, and the food was quite good.

When I checked out, the "computer system was down", so they emailed the bill to me. I emailed in return, noting a couple of mistakes on this bill, which they immediately corrected without question. When I noticed several days later that my SPG account had not been credited with this stay, I called the hotel, and they contacted SPG on my behalf and my account was credited within a couple of hours.

Tips: I receive periodic emails from the hotel about deals, some of which include free parking. So when you call to reserve, ask the hotel if they have any packages which include free parking, or other amenities, such as free tickets to the museums in Balboa park. (incidentally, I have paid around the same amount for parking at the Manchester Grand Hyatt where we have often stayed in the past, so the U.S. Grant is not that out of line.)

It seems most people have had a good experience at this hotel, and we certainly have. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BerkeleyJohn
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Based on the title of your review alone I wasn't sure what to expect from the rest of your review but I must say I was very relieved to read the rest of it! You have written a very thorough review and I like the perspective of not just speaking from your own experience but also comparing it to the likely experience of others that may or may not have different booking avenues and recognition program status as you do. We are proud to continue to be your go to destination in San Diego and hope to never lose that crown! Jared, Director of Front Office

There are newer reviews for The US Grant

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The lobby of the US Grant is historic, classic, and splendid, with marble and crystal and top-notch service. The Grant Grill bar is expensive but worth it. Breakfast was fine but perhaps overpriced.

My room, a Deluxe, was on a corner facing Broadway and 3rd. It was spacious and well-appointed, including a beautiful shower but no bath tub. (The regular rooms are on the small side.)

This hotel is near the top of four stars. To earn a fifth from me the rooms would have to be a bit brighter and a bit better sealed from outside noise, and the hallways spruced up a bit. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I thought the extra $20/night for a Deluxe was worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Crito0

I don't want to give away too many surprises... but our next renovation is coming and I think based on your feedback you will be pleasantly surprised! Look forward to seeing you soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 19, 2014

From check-in to departure this was one incredible hotel experience. The valet guys were very friendly when leaving the car and asked us if we needed help with our bags. When entering the lobby we were struck by how beautiful it looked from the floral arrangements to the actual structure itself everything was flawless. We were greeted with enthusiasm by the front desk staff and checked-in quickly and efficiently. We were again asked if we needed help with our bags to our room. We arrived in our room and were pleasantly surprised by how clean, large, and modern it was furnished for such an historic property. 104 years old and going strong! The dinner and cocktails we had downstairs in the Grant Grill were excellent with amazingly friendly service as well. Slept very soundly with very little road noise for such a central city location. room service breakfast was delivered promptly and cooked perfectly. Same excellent service and efficiency upon check-out and valet assisted departure. My only complaint was that we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: high floor had very little noise and felt very private.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Your only complaint is one I can definitely handle (and solve!). Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.... we truly do appreciate it which is why I take the time to respond to reviews personally and not with generic shells. I will share the praise in our morning lineup as reviews like yours create the continued pride in service to keep us strong for the next 104 years. Thank you again! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 18, 2014

What a story. .. The Grant has seen it all. And thanks to architects, investors, interior designers, us guests and many more after several renovations it is still the best hotel in the center town.
We were very happy with the service, the rooms, the location - excellent food at the Grill.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

We have seen it all and we hope to see everything to come! Our service will get us there and great guests like you will be our partners for the next 100 years. Thank you for being our patron and we look forward to your return. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I used to stay at this hotel all the time when I traveled to San Diego on business and so was very happy to have the opportunity to host a business event in the Celestial Ballroom here. First, this is a beautiful, historic, property. The Celestial Ballroom has a wonderful history and our party theme was a Prohibition Party. According to local legend, which is given credence by the existence of tunnels in the US Grant, bootleggers used to bring booze into the hotel during Prohibition. We had a variety of passed hors d'oeuvres and a pasta station for our event and the food was wonderful. Many in our group decided to dress up in 1920's fashion to go along with the theme of the event and the banquet staff made sure the lighting and feathered table arrangements complimented the theme. (We hired a local dance instructor to come in and teach some of the dances of the 20's, but that was an expensive disappointment as the two people who were sent stayed less than a half hour and ate our food before leaving. The US Grant had nothing to do with this decision, but I mention it as a "Buyer Beware" for those considering something similar.) I would definitely recommend the US Grant as a location for a special event.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for the amazing review and you have definitely been bitten by the intrigue of our past! So Sorry the dance instructors didn't work out but what a great concept and design for your meeting! I am sure it was a huge success and you picked the perfect location for it. We look forward to welcoming you back for business or pleasure. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

What a gorgeous establishment. We arrived with 2 little boys after a 14 hr flight from Melb, and a 2 hr drive from LAX. They got us in the room as soon as possible. The front of house staff were lovely, friendly and extremely helpful. SPECIAL, SPECIAL mention goes to our waitor, Chris. He was fabulous! We stayed 5 nights, and each morning we were greeted with a friendly smile and warm hello from Chris, the kids loved him! He looked after us so well, nothing was too much trouble, he was just so lovely. He really did add that something special to our stay. Thanks Chris!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Alissia M

I can't give this review enough thanks and admiration! You have inspired us to continue delivering the service we pride ourselves in. I will pass your praise to Chris and thank you for recognizing him. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the States! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 13, 2014

US Grant in San Diego is an extremely beautiful hotel and almost the perfect to location if an ocean location is not that important. It is steps away from the Gaslight District and one block away from the in Westfield Horton Shopping Center. Unfortunately it is about six to seven blocks from the ocean/harbor.
This is a Historically Saved Hotel, which is this authors opinion is not a very smart thing to do for a hotel. That does not allow for bringing rooms up to a current day standard, mostly size and modernization. Our room was small and had a mirror propped upright on the floor. It had a small closet but, for our overnight stay was no problem, but for an extended stay would have been much too small.
We were going on a cruise the next day so the full service hotel was a big plus. We did not have to handle our luggage and we had sent a few packages ahead to friends so when we met them we just handed the items off to a bellman and were on our way. We would not have had the luxury of that at a Fairfield or Hampton Inn.
Yes I would recommend the US Grant if you can get a good price, for anything out of a competitive range I would pass it up.
As were leaving to check out a carpenter was entering our room to putting the mirror up.
After checking out and prior to leaving we were sitting in the lobby and had a great conversation with the Resident Manager who told us the history of the hotel. This was a big plus. The history is very full and extremely interesting.

Room Tip: Ask for a Quite room can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Postman83

Just as a postman should, you delivered a great review. Thank you for appreciating not only the charm but also the challenge of maintaining historical elegance (especially to historic register code!) I am glad you got to talk to our staff and learn a bit about the history. It really adds a level of inclusion to your experience! Hope you enjoyed your cruise and hopefully we will welcome you back before your next one! Jared, Director of Front Office