“Beautifully refurbished, but late check-out facilities lacking”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have recently returned from a week's stay at the US Grant. The hotel has been beautifully refurbished, the staff were polite and our room was very clean and comfortable. We would have liked to see coffee/tea making facilities in our room which we thought would have been standard for a 4* hotel. We understand that complimentary coffee was available in the lobby from 6.30-9.00am, but it would have been nice to be able to make our own when we wanted to (especially after arriving at the hotel in the early evening after a very long flight).

We do understand that it is not always possible to extend the checking out time for guests with a late evening departure when the hotel is full, but we did think a hotel of this calibre would have a facility set aside where luggage could be stored for the day and where we could return to freshen up and change our clothes for the climate we were returning to. However, the hotel said they could not accommodate our request, but that they would store our luggage for us for the day. When we returned to the hotel later, we were surprised to find that our cases and jackets had actually been placed in the care of the valet at the arrival and departure point outside the hotel. We asked if there was anywhere we could change our clothes and were directed to the restrooms in the lobby. We found it quite embarrassing having to open our cases on the restroom floor (there was nowhere else to place them) and change in there! We have stayed in many 4* hotels around the world that have understood the need to offer this facilities for guests with a late evening flight (which is often the case for those travelling back to Europe) and believe that if this landmark hotel wants guests to return, either for business or pleasure, they should strongly consider offering such a facility as standard.

Room Tip: Higher floor with room overlooking garden.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lady60290
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for the well thought out review! I was confused at first thinking we did not offer to store your luggage but then realized that it was a changing area or some form of locker facility you were referring to; not the bag storage itself. True this historic area does not have a private lounge or locker facility for changing other than the restrooms. I worked at a beach resort before that had the same issue; I think private changing areas may be hard to come by. It is an interesting suggestion though and thank you for the feedback! I hope your travels were memorable and thank you for being our guest. Jared, Director of Front Office

There are newer reviews for The US Grant

Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is gorgeous! Historic but has all the modern updates that makes a hotel stay enjoyable.
The location is great! The staff was friendly. The room set up was a little strange, we had a suite but there were 2 king beds next to each other. We had no issue with noise but maybe because our view was a rooftop. We were there for business though, so the view wasn't a big deal to us. I'm glad that we didn't have an issue with noise like other reviews stated.
I would definitely recommend it and I will go back!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Love the review! Yes the Signature Suite (with 2 king beds) is well protected from noise nestled in one of the corners of the property but you are right as well that the view is lessened due to the quiet location. The room itself is amazing though; very happy you got to experience it on a business trip! We look forward to seeing you again. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Had the pleasure of spending a long weekend in the US Grant, only needs a short review:

Bad
- $39 a day valet parking seems a bit steep, but in fairness it's in a built up area where parking spaces are at a premium, so I guess it's market rate. Valet team were helpful and professional, with cold bottled water provided as you headed out each day.

Good
- Service, from arriving to leaving, was excellent. Genuinely helpful staff who assisted where ever they thought they could help, without being over bearing. I know the USA prides itself on customer service, but it's often forced or overdone. At the Grant they have it just right which is a rare thing.

- Rooms were nice and felt elegant but also modern, with everything you needed.

- Location, plenty of nightlife right on the doorstep,,,well OK, within a couple of blocks.

Next time we return to SD, we'll be back at the Grant.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you M4rk for the great review! I really appreciate the part regarding good service being forced or awkward but that we got it right. I came personally from a technically "higher" luxury property myself where the service level can be high to the point of intrusive. I have grown very fond of the US Grant "genuine" service model. I am most proud that you too recognized it. We look forward to your return! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and in general a very nice hotel. Good location if you want the gas light district. The hotel is beautiful and historic. Staff at every encounter was very nice and helpful. Room was spacious and bathroom was very nice as well. A few minor annoyances...The wifi from my room didn't work and I had to get tech support to help. Then, the telephone in my room didn't work, and they sent someone to fix it. And lastly, the scale in my room was inoperable because low on batteries. Minor things, but a little extra checking could prevent guest from finding them. Lastly, my room faced 4th Ave. and it was very loud during the night. If you want quiet, ask for a non street facing room.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your balanced review and I am proud that despite some technical issues within the room the staff service level exceeded your expectations! I do know the frustration of minor technologies in the room not working and for that I do apologize. They are small as you said but they are basics. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful upscale hotel. I had a wonderful time here.
I came with my friend- two girls in one room with two beds. Beautiful room. The room was a great size, and very comfortable. Bathroom great size. Seems housekeeping was confused because turndown was always only one bed and one chocolate. Didn't bother me though. What did bother was the noise. We were on the 7th floor in the front of the hotel. It was very loud outside... all night every night. Note: I don't believe any of my other reviews mention noise as a factor. This was quite bad. I used earplugs for the first time in my life.
Valet parking is great offering water and welcoming you back. The valet staff are inconsistent in offering water (which is disappointing bc I don't want to ask) but always quick and friendly. Sometimes very quick, other times not so. Again, not a real bother.
The hotel is in a great location- obvious from Google maps. Public bus to airport stops right outside the door on Broadway and 4th.
There is free coffee and tea in the lobby restaurant from 630-9 ... And it is good! I didn't hesitate to visit in my bathrobe and slippers. Both are exceptional!
There is a great beverage served in the lobby in the afternoon. And the lobby is gorgeous.
The gym is small but really well equipped with new machines and offers individual TVs on machines, headsets, water, fruit, towels, etc.
I really loved this hotel and has a great stay. With more consistency across staff I would have given 5 stars.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

I am glad that it is the consistency of staff that prevented the 5 star instead of outside noise for you. Yes being downtown with our proximity to Gaslamp can definitely make for some late night ambience, especially on the weekends, but I always prefer to focus on the things we can control; the "human element". Thank you for your very fair review and we look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed exploring the hotel. Concierge has a print out of the history and notible relics. It's not heaven, there are quirks that remind you that it's from another time, but it's beautiful, well restored, and you don't have to squint to see it as it was in 1910. I stayed 3 nights and loved it.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Olivia E
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Olivia,

We value your having selected us for your stay and for your taking the time to pen this review! We think that the relationships we create with our guests are the reason for our existence and after 103 years of history in the making, we have some practice with this. We agree that we are not a hotel for everyone but for those that are looking for a hotel with old world luxury and modern day personalized experiences we are the right choice in San Diego!

Please come back again soon and give us the opportunity to earn that coveted 5th star!

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

If your looking for a luxury hotel in the gaslamp The US Grant is it! The decor is fabulous.
We checked on with Johanna who was very pleasant. She gave us a fantastic room on the 7th floor. Sam our luggage assistant was the best. Such a great attitude and very professional. He made our stay so fun.
The room is so nice and comfortable. The beds are magnificent. Wish there was better lighting in the bathroom and main room. But that's the only complaint.
Prime location too. Can't wait to stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank michelelee14
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Ms. Lee,

We cannot thank you enough for your sentiments shared on Trip Advisor about 2 of our most eager to please ambassadors with Johanna and Sam. Even with a spectacular location, beautifully restored old world luxury hotel, and fabulous San Diego weather we know what sets us apart is our service culture. We will celebrate these two for their achievement and hope that you return to build on the relationship you have curated.

Safe travels and many thanks,

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations