“Beautiful hotel, pleasant stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

The US Grant
Ranked #47 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canandaigua, New York
“Beautiful hotel, pleasant stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in San Diego for a conference in October. I was late signing up to the conference, and the regularly designated hotel was full, so I was recommended the US Grant as the "overflow hotel" nearby. Boy, did I luck out! After spending time in sessions in the regular hotel and talking to participants, the US Grant was a much better choice.

The hotel itself is gorgeous, extremely well kept and clean, and the staff are helpful, polite and courteous. All the common areas are comfortable and the lobby in particular is just gorgeous. There's a nice restaurant and an art gallery on the main floor.

My room was on the first floor of rooms (I think 3rd floor overall) and was large, beautifully decorated and clean. The bathroom is stunning and spacious - very clean and updated. There was a tiled shower, but no tub for those that might be looking for a tub. Bed and linens were comfortable.

Downsides: 1) The usual lack of plugs in the room. I was working on a laptop on the desk, and ended up having to unplug a lamp on the bedside table and string the cord part way across the room. With historic properties, this always seem to be a problem. 2) There was a fridge in the room, but when I tried to put my leftovers in it, I discovered a huge sticker on it that said if I removed ANYTHING from the fridge, I would be charged for it. There seemed to be some kind of weight detection system for determining if you moved things. No room for leftovers, since it was full of overpriced drinks already. The note also mentioned you could rent a fridge from the hotel if you needed one. The whole thing just seemed unnecessary and unfriendly. Why not leave a little space for guests? 3) My room looked out over the roof of the lobby and right into a guest room a short distance across from me. There was little privacy and I kept the curtains drawn.

The upside of being on the lowest floor and right over the lobby was that I could access the free wi-fi signal from the lobby in my room! So I didn't have to pay for wi-fi each day. The signal was good and I had no problems with it.

I will say too that the water in San Diego tastes awful. I tried to drink tapwater, but just couldn't manage it. The hotel provides FREE bottled water - they put several bottles in your room each time it's serviced, and you can always ask for more in the lobby.

In all, it was a great stay, just with a few quirks I could live with. And a definite A+ for the staff!

Room Tip: The rooms right above the lobby (3rd floor, I think), can access the free wi-fi in the lobby. But w...
Green Features: Recycling is available everywhere, which was a bonus.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Wow that was quite a detailed review! I appreciate the depth in which you review and can only imagine that thoroughness has brought you much success! I like your note about San Diego water also (I won't argue, have you ever lived in Colorado? Their water is amazing) but glad our services exceeded your expectations in many ways. Always great to stumble across our property while on business! Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed a total of five days and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The hotel is centrally located but quiet for in the city. All staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, particularly the concierge staff.

Room was clean and spacious with nightly turn down service. We stopped in the bar for a nightcap and to listen to the jazz band which was a plus. Being at the edge of Gastown allowed for unlimited dining choices within a close walk. If I had a beef it would only be the somewhat pricy daily charge for in-room Internet access which I find annoying everywhere I stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind review and for recognizing our concierge staff. I selfishly like to think of them of the best in the city but that could be me just being a "proud father" (no seriously they are great). Glad you enjoyed many aspects of our hotel and we look forward to your return! Jared, Director of Front Office
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

A very beautiful classic hotel. Our first time in San Diego. A bit pricey with parking and valet but overall a nice experience. The lounge was lively and had a great jazz band! Walking distance to the waterfront, restaurants. Concierge was very helpful. Our room was large, with a comfortable bed!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
A couple of reviews in a row about our comfortable beds; I like where this is going! Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts about us (that sounded kind of hippie-ish) and glad that you enjoyed our live music in the Grant Grill. They are there every weekend; we look forward to seeing you soon! Jared, Director of Front Office
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I had the privilege of celebrating our wedding anniversary at the US Grant. It was a quick getaway from the kids and we were hoping for a memorable night away. The staff met our very high hopes and expectations seamlessly with a great room upgrade, a customized welcome note, bottle of wine, and strawberries. The next morning, we had a chance to talk to Jared, the very friendly and accommodating front desk director, who helped make our stay an amazing one that lived up to all of our already high expectations.

The hotel is classy and elegant, harkening back to an era of top hats and tails, without feeling stuffy or gaudy. We had breakfast at the Grant Grill and were able to apply funds from our Platinum amenity continental breakfast towards other options on the menu, which was a great option. The location is great with many restaurant and night life options just steps away.

For a romantic night away with an attentive and welcoming staff, you can't go wrong with the US Grant. Thanks to the staff for making our anniversary celebration so special.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I feel kind of awkward responding to this review when I am in it but all I can say is a very humble thank you for letting me curate your experience. I very much appreciate the kind words but also appreciate one specific part of your review in which you speak to our luxurious service without feeling stuffy. I really take pride in our team's ability to convey this sometimes complicated notion. Thank you for recognizing it, for bring our guest, and for leaving your feedback with the digital world! Jared, Director of Front Office
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Thanks to Judy who called me after I requested the information on the brand of mattress used in the US Grant guest rooms. We had one of the best nights' sleep during our stay at the hotel. I read a tip on buying a new mattress to call the hotel where you had the best sleep. So I called and Judy from housekeeping returned my call and left me a message. We don't have access to the hotel luxury line, but the point is she called me! Everyone at the Grant gave this type of service and always in a friendly manner. Loved this hotel for the luxury, commitment to historic restoration, the service and a wonderful night's sleep. Thank you all!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
There may be no greater compliment that bringing our own merchandise into your own home! Only downside is now your bedroom is in direct competition with our hotel guest rooms. Prepare for battle! Thank you for the great review and (hopefully) see you soon! Jared, Director of Front Office.
Albany, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

This hotel is unbelievable! It is on the Natl. Historical Register and has been completely renovated in recent years. There are a lot of historical pictures around the hotel and wonderful artwork. The headboards in the rooms are hand-painted creations! Gorgeous! The room we had was of generous size as was the bathroom. The brunch on Sunday was also excellent. This hotel is located in a very good place in downtown San Diego.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Not just a guest... a connoisseur! Our deepest appreciations for your fervent praise of our luxurious adornments and historic elegance. I am proud you mixed both the classic luxury with modern culinary endeavors of the Grant Grill at our Sunday Brunch as well! Truly this hotel is a place where your cake (or more accurately... waffle) can be not just had, but savored, saved and revisited for seconds; now that is luxury. Jared, Director of Front Office
South Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Great historic hotel with gracious staff. We were there for a PBS fundraise and spent the night. Staff were efficient and attentive. Valet Parking a must since there is little parking in downtown San Diego. Located in the heart of the Gaslamp district with lots of restaurants surrounding the hotel. Rooms were small but clean. Although renovated the bathroom need more counter space, the rooms need more outlets and the only mirror is in the bathroom (one sink) so making preparations to go out (for a couple) was a challenge. The lobby was beautiful with many displays highlighting the Native American's who once inhabited this area featuring the artifacts they produced (pottery, baskets etc) and their cultural history.

NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Your description paints a scene of our hotel that will hopefully assist others with finding their way to our storied halls. The KPBS event was a highlight for us and we hope that our relationship continues to evolve over the many more years ahead.

Lastly, though you enjoyed your experience we hope to have you return. Perhaps on this next visit we will be able to earn that coveted 5th star!

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations