“The best of the best”

Ranked #47 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The best of the best”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the US Grant on vacation with some girlfriends and could not have been more pleased with the service, the room, or the location! Steven and Jared in the front office took great care of us during check-in- helping to make our short stay as memorable as possible. Brooks at the concierge desk was also wonderful- suggesting Cafe 21 for lunch was spot on and easy to walk to! I will never stay at another property in San Diego!

Room Tip: I haven't stayed in a bad room yet..suites and guest rooms are spacious and beautifully adorned.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for your exceptional recommendation and review. We truly appreciate your sharing the sentiment on our 3 ambassadors that made the difference for you during your stay!

We hope that we can count on you to assist with writing our living history with another stay in the near future? Although we have been here for 102 years, pelase do not allow this much time to pass again prior to your next visit,

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I hosted a getaway for my 3 brothers and their wives in San Diego for a 3-day stay at The U. S. Grant Hotel. The hotel was the best in every way.....the rooms, the personalized service, the centralized location. It is incredibly obvious that their staff members (from the room cleaning crew, to the concierges, to the front desk) were customer-service trained to the highest standards. The rooms that my family guests had were very cozy, very clean, and very well maintained. The beds were very confortable and throughout the nights were very quiet. Staff throughout the hotel and throughout our stay proactively acknowledged us in a personal and friendly manner. The only issues to us were (1) the $38 daily cost of valet parking (a requirement if you drive and park at the hotel) and (2) the very poor service from the hotel's lobby restaurant (The Grant Grill). Our stay at this hotel was beyond our expectations. My family members and I were VERY impressed with the hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ArneL534
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
So kind of you to leave such a glowing review and what an opportunity you gave us with hosting such a family gathering at our historic property! Thank you for bringing everyone together and making us your destination while in San Diego. I apologize for the lobby service and assure you that is not the norm. Hopefully the food and drink quality itself did exceed your expectations as everything else did during your stay. We look forward to welcoming back any of the family in the future! Jared, Director of Front Office
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel. Right on the edge of the Gaslamps Quarter. Bars, shops, and restaurants of the Gaslamps all within easy walking distance. Had a car but can easily get around on public transport. Rooms extremely well appointed, large bathrooms. Exceptionally comfy beds. Will be my first choice of hotel whenever we go to San Diego.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your fantastic experience with the rest of the e-world Mark! The Luxury Collection may not have given their bed system a fancy name but its still very very comfortable. So glad you enjoyed it and thank you for your future patronage. Jared, Director of Front Office
Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is old... it smells old defiantly not a 5 star hotel. The room is clean, the bed is comfortable and the hotel location is good. But there is not a bathtub and water pressure in the shower is low.
The bottom line, I think that you can get a much value for money in other hotels in the area, a few years back I've stayed in the Omni hotel which is rated as 4 stars and it was much much better than the US grant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We agree that we are not for everyone. Being a 102 year old historic hotel makes us who we are and though many appreciate the history and luxury woven into the experiences we deliver, we know others prefer the more modern finishes.

We do appreciate your balanced feedback and wish you the best on your travels,

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

First, let me start out by saying this: Yes, the hotel is beautiful, historical, etc, etc. My problem wasn't with the architecture, my problem was with the staff and what I feel to be out of control prices for rooms that are incredibly small. I wouldn't suggest going here if you want a whole ton of space. We stayed in a Grand Deluxe (both those words are misleading in terms of size) room for our honeymoon after we had spent a couple days in a FREE travel resort with rooms three times the size of this one.
The first issue was the cost of valet. We parked at the airport for four days, and our parking cost was cheaper there than for one night at the US Grant. If you're going to charge nearly $400 for one night, it might be nice of you to include the valet parking.
The second issue was the additional $200 hold they placed on my credit card the night I checked in (yes, I read the fine print about a "fee for incidentals" being held, but I think $200 is a little steep for that). This additional charge effectively ruined that Friday night for my honeymoon.
The third issue is the fact I was charged for a lunch that was included in my room rate which I had already paid. I have called this hotel twice today, and both times got transferred to the "accounting department" where I get nothing but an answering machine. Four hours after my first call, I still have not received a call back telling me the issue with this charge has been resolved.
If you want to spend $400+ dollars a night to stay in a historic hotel, and you have enough money for the "incidentals", then this is probably the place for you. The hotel itself is quite beautiful, but I was certainly underwhelmed by the customer service here, especially considering the customer service at my FREE resort was easily 60% better than the customer service at the US Grant. The old saying "You get what you pay for" certainly did not apply to my stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am certainly disheartened to hear your experience was less than satisfactory for your special occasion with us Sabrina! I know that on these once in a life time events all expectations and emotions are heightened which gives us a great opportunity to knock it our of the park and build loyalty beyond reason; clearly in this case it didn't happen. It is true about hotels taking holds on your card for incidentals, a common practice in hotels and the amount does vary by hotel to hotel but I am saddened to hear that the hold ruined your stay. Parking prices are creeping higher in all of San diego regretfully. You probably received my email reflecting the credit for the lunch that was included in your package already, so sorry for the delay in that. Thank you for the kind words about the hotel being beautiful and we wish you the best of luck in all of your future travels wherever they may take you. Jared, Director of Front Office.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2013

You can't beat the location, just off Market right downtown walkable to Westfield/Horton Plaza and the Amtrak Station. This Grande Dame is a little tired, but the lobby and rooms are well furnished. Great Wifi connection and the common areas are all connected.

The Bed and Sleep were excellent on par with the Westin Heavenly Bed.

US Grant Bar/Restaurant was fine for breakfast and very nice location. I noticed a great looking private room in the restaurant that would seat 10-12 persons.

Overall you cannot beat the location if you need to be downtown and not as hip, but certainly classier than the W Hotel San Diego or the Westin/Sheraton options.

Room Tip: Try for a Suite upgrade with Living Room seperate.
Green Features: You can choose to have your sheets NOT changed daily with bonus points.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I would say that is a solid honest review Lawrence! Truth be told we are on Broadway between 3rd and 4th Ave (I don' t want people getting lost on their way here!) but Market St. is just a few blocks away. Everything is nice and central here in America's Finest City and I am happy to say we are right in the mix. Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to share your insights with the online community! Jared, Director of Front Office
New York
Reviewed August 25, 2013

From the moment we pulled up to the valet at The US Grant, we were made to feel as if we were the ONLY visitors to this hotel. The one on one service was great. Check in was smooth, the first concierge we met - Lee Ann - was a HUGE source of information. Her mark up of the local map was most helpful, as was her suggestion of places to eat and people watch for the afternoon. Our room faced Broadway and we had a nice view of the park, although there was no landscaping done yet - it looked like it will be a beautiful lush addition to San Diego. This is the quieter end of the Gaslamp District, which suited us just fine. Short walking distance to a multitude of bars, restaurants and Petco Park. Comfortable bed, quiet, great shower. Ipod docking station, in room safe, big huge mirror, comfy slippers, plenty of closet and drawer space and of course - the afternoon turn down service - all nice touches. The bar is wonderful - thank you Chris for a faaaaaaaabulous dry dry dry dirty martini and the dinner on our last night was superb. From the mock turtle soup to the duck entrée - it was all delicious and the staff was professional and courteous. Also have to give a shout out to the concierge Mark - who was so sweet to put up with my gushing of the artwork we bought that afternoon. All in all - if we return to San Diego - this will be our choice of hotel.

Room Tip: This is a big city - always helpful to have a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so thankful for your review mslalite! Your kind words for Lee Ann, Mark and Chris will circulate the hotel to recognize them for their great efforts to exceed your expectations. We are very excited to welcome you back soon! Jared, Director of Front Office