“Easily one of the best hotels”

THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #43 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The US Grant was a sensational place to stay in San Diego. From the moment I walked in, I was instantly "wow-ed." The lobby was stunning and the rooms were clean, fresh and modern but with a classic style suited to the property. The front desk, concierge and valet attendants were wonderful to deal with as well. The location was across the street from Horton Plaza and right in Gaslamp. I only learned of the hotel through Starwood's website and I can't say enough about it. I took a chance and was very pleasantly surprised. The only detraction was the amount of homeless people in the immediate vicinity. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank relaxinto
Jared D, Front Office Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

A gracious review relaxinto and I am humbled by your appreciation of our team and adornments. We strive for the experience you received and it reaffirms why we do what we do everyday. Thank you for taking the time to respond and we hope to welcome you back very soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

Write a ReviewReviews (2,529)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Built in 1910, this is a grand old hotel in honour of the eponymous US president and well-located in the downtown area. The public areas are very well appointed (marble and chandeliers everywhere) and we got a friendly welcome at the front desk (which incidently confirms that Americans are obsessed with the royal baby - the two young check-in staff were about the 5th group of Americans who congratulated us on this trip!). We had rooms on the 11th floor at the top of the hotel and they were light, spacious and airy. The bathrooms had been nicely upgraded with generous supplies of toiletries. The concierge was uniformly helpful. One downside - the hotel is popular with weddings and when we were there we did have a few problems with noisy returners to adjacent rooms in the early hours and the grant grill bar happy hour was lively and noisy. But otherwise a good hotel in a good location and if you like the grand old-fashioned style this is definitely for you.

Room Tip: 11th foor roooms were large and bright
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your visit! It seems you joined us from across the pond. As you already received the royal baby congratulations I will hold mine for now. So glad you enjoyed our classic style and location. yes, we do become a popular venue for special occasions. Glad to see you also made it over to the Grant Grill to enjoy happy hour! it is an incredible value. Hope to welcome you back in the future! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is beautifully renovated and situated in a great central location. The rooms are well decorated, if not a little on the small side, and are well equipped. The service was consistently fantastic throughout our 2 night stay. The staff were extremely helpful, especially the concierge. My only criticism would be that the views from the rooms are quite disappointing. You either get a view over the lobby roof and into the bedrooms on the other side, the hotels on either side of this one or the Horton Plaza, which is currently under construction. The beds are large and comfortable and provide a great quality street. Another contributor to this is the lack of traffic noise which is surprising for a city centre hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of the Gaslamp Quarter, the Marina, the Padres Stadium and (just) Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo. All in all a smashing hotel in an excellent location with unbeatable service in San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

A smashing hotel and unbeatable service?? Yea Baby! Thank you for the kind words James and I think you really understand the city center hotel. I feel that being in the city and picking up that "lively" outside hum always adds to the downtown experience. Although, if I could add in an ocean view I certainly would! But the location speaks for itself and I am proud that the service topped it all off for you. Come back and see us again very soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary and a local event. We can't wait to go back. The hotel was five star all the way. From the moment we checked in to the valet, to the moment we sadly checked out, everything about this hotel was top notch. The room was quiet, so comfortable & luxurious, the bathroom was very modern and updated. The bed was perfect, and the turn down service such a treat! We opted for in-room breakfast which was delicious and a huge amount of food for what you pay. I can't tell you enough how impressed we were by the staff, the valets, the concierge, and everything about our stay. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

No YOU'RE amazing princesita! Thank you for joining us on your special occasion. Your review is incredibly kind and I thank you deeply for it. I look forward to return visits for future special occasions! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Only one criticism of our 2 night stay as part of a wedding group. The rate was fantastic at $179/night. However, they didn't have in room coffee/tea without specifically requesting it. If I hadn't walked by a room with a bunch of machines, I wouldn't have known to ask. The workout room was nice. They give out bottled water at every turn.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your recent visit and I hope the wedding was memorable! It is amazing the transformation that our amazing banquets and production team can do to our ballrooms to make them truly unique memories in themselves. I am proud that if nothing else no one goes thirsty at the Grant! We also serve complimentary coffee in our Grant Grill for hotel guests each morning from 6:30-8:30am. Hope to see you again! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We checked in very late and after unpacking and getting my PJ's on I discovered an issue. I called the desk letting them know I was exhausted but needed a new room in the morning. We got up about 8am and headed downstairs to the lobby as directed to. The reception employee was aware of our situation but said a room wasn't ready, as she wanted to put us in a "more superior" room because of our inconvenience. We went to breakfast and thankfully the room was shortly ready as we needed to shower and get ready for our day. They told us our bags would be right up. We waited in our room for 20 minutes then my husband just went down and got them. The room was on the 11th floor and although had nicer views it was actually smaller than our original room and awkwardly shaped. Large furniture was placed in front of some of the windows making it hard to open and close the drapes.
There was a charge for wi-fi (which irks me), there was a mini bar but no fridge for general use (which I've never heard of before, there was a sign saying we could request one and it might be available ). The closest ice machine was on the 7th floor so this was even more annoying since we had no fridge. Parking was $38 a day. I felt a little nickeled and dimed here.
All the staff were friendly and I have no complaints with them. But I felt parking attendants were literally running to open my door just for a tip. I guess some people like this type of service but I felt it was too much.
The hotel was very pretty and has a lot of history. If you can go to the basement and check out the ballrooms and old speakeasy.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

All in all I am very thankful for your review llamaface. (I hope that is an Emporer's New Groove reference, if so Bravo!) I love that you were able to make it down to our historical lower lobby and experience some of the history we keep here at the US Grant. You are definitely right about the ice machines; a very unique design from the historical nature. Just like the fridge, we are happy to deliver anything to you room including ice! I am proud our staff pleased you and that you were able to make it up to our historical 11th floor. We hope to welcome you back again. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and I really liked it a lot.

At first I thought the hotel was a little pretentious because when I checked-in the front desk reservationist seemed a bit condescending, but he seemed to open up after a while. My room wasn't ready when I tried to check-in at 2:45pm so I decided to go out and get lunch.

I was attending a conference at the conference center, so although the hotel is not close, the conference had busses shuttling people to/from. The hotel is located at 4th and Broadway, so it is convenient to the Gaslamp section as well as Little Italy. The Zoo and Sea World are a short taxi ride away and the airport is about 20 minutes from the hotel.

The lobby of the hotel is very ornate and beautiful with historic touches throughout. This would be a great venue for large meetings as the hotel has large meeting rooms through out. A big concert was held on the second floor while I was there.

When I came back about an hour later, my room was ready and I had been upgraded to a suite. My bags were brought up to me and although the room was nice, the suite was small and only had one window that faced the airport landing path (which was alarming at first). The room seemed dark to me as the lighting was very dramatic because of only one window and the room had a lot of dark woods and black furniture. However the room was nicely appointed with unique artwork and a comfortable bed. The room had a lot of quirky touches and was comfortable.

The fitness center was in the basement and quite a walk from the elevators. No windows and ample, but not great equipment.

There is no pool at this hotel, which was really disappointing, but you are allowed to use the pool at the Westin Gaslamp which although is a nice touch, it is a 2-block walk and you have to take all of your belongings over to the hotel and change in the bathroom (not ideal).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

I would say that overall this is a very fair review dfc! You really touch on alot of great points in your stay and I am happy that so many things were memorable for you. I love your description of the "quirky" touches in the room. We do maintain the historic nature and style of the hotel in the rooms and the hallways which can be quite a contrast to some of the modern big box hotels. I am glad you found some of those aspects charming! The pool is definitely a unique situation as well but we are thankful for our partners across the street. All in all, glad you liked us and most importantly thank you for your business and the business of your event as well! We hope to welcome you back for leisure or future business! Jared, Director of Front Office