“Beautiful Hotel in San Diego”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #47 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I traveled with my mother and 4 month old daughter to San Diego for a very quick 2 night stay. We had booked at the US Grant with Starwood points and were on the Starwood preferred floor. The hotel was simply beautiful. The room and bathroom were lovely. There was a foyer/closet area in the entry with coffee maker. The beds, linens and pillows were awesome. The bathroom was good sized with a great rain-style shower head and walk in tiled shower, plenty of counter space, big window, great makeup mirror and great towels. We ordered room service for breakfast both mornings to simplify getting ready with a little one and it was delicious (expensive, as expected). The hotel town car was also available for a flat rate fare for our return trip to the airport. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, especially once they saw us with a baby. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Lindsey,

Thank you for noting some of the highlights that our guests have come to expect. The town car service is convenient and well priced, the water pressure is spot on, in room dining is delicious for the price, and we are comfortable for all travelers including the youngest among us! Did our team surprise you with a logo'd US GRANT bib!?

Thank you for sharing and hope you can stay next time once you accumulate more Starwood Preferred Points!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

room felt very luxurious, nice bed, bathroom is too small though, only a shower and not much space around, a bath would have been nice but it is nice. Room was very clean and calm. Well kept for an hotel of that size. Breakfast was very nice too, shame there is no pool or a spa that is really missing for an hotel like this one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings BabyBear,

Thank you for your review! We wish we had a full spa and pool also! To suit our explorers tastes we are happy to feature a spa suite or in room treatments and full use of our sister properties pool only a short 2 block walk away.

Perhaps next time we can win you over fully with these offerings and our same quality guest rooms, service and luxury refinements?

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This was a great hotel for a quick post-holiday get away. We are Starwood members & used points to pay for the room. It was a corner room,well appointed and very large. Staff was very helpful & friendly. Albert, at the Concierge Desk, had excellent suggestions for dinners and for attractions to see. The only disappointment was dinner at the hotel our first night, it wasn't bad, but clearly not up to the rest of the hotel standards. Later meals (breakfast & a second dinner) were better, but that first night influenced our opinion of the restaurant.

Hello,

Thank you for your vote of confidence to our Trip Advisor faithful. We truly appreciate your giving us a second chance with your Grant Grill experience. It is not often that this fails to exceed expectations, care to share more about this first visit? Nathan.davis@luxurycollection.com or 619.744.2024.

We hope you return,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The US Grant boasts excellent ratings on Tripadvisor and is located in an appealing location at the heart of the Gaslamp quarter. The "Luxury Collection" label was another reason to try it. Overall, the stay (4 nights) did meet expectations and at less than $250 for a Legacy Suite it can also be considered good value. The suite was slightly less spacious than the online blueprint suggested, yet the layout was convenient. This come at the expense of the bathroom size, which apart from the shower booth is rather cramped. Fittings close to perfect, lots of character, and bedding second to none. Several drawbacks, however minor, make the grant miss the top grade. Firstly, twice per hour but 24/7 a lound noise was heard in the room (nothing to do with the advertised "ghosts", more like laundry being thrown to the ground floor, or a lift restarting from either top or bottom floors - a mystery yet a rather loud one). Secondly on a couple of occasions, service has been a bit casual, albeit friendly. It's nice to get introduced to the staff but that onky works if you also get your luggage sent to your room without having to phone, especially after a 10 hour flight. Also, when complaining about the time required to make up the room we got a convoluted explanation about the "green options" which simply delayed a simple solution tonour request. Good breakfast and good atmosphere in the grill (can get pricey very quickly).

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Douglas K, General Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Greetings,

We send our sincere thank you to you for reviewing our hotel. We do pride ourselves on our Luxury Collection version of the Heavenly Bed and are very glad you were able to "sleep tight" even in the heart of our downtown location.

We do hope you come visit us in our Grant Grill again as we are rolling out our new menus, Spring cockatails and new website very shortly!

Warmest Regards,

Douglas R. Korn, General Manager

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently on a business trip for a convention in San Diego. The Hotel looks amazing, the decor is gorgeous and the main foyer is picture worthy. The room was basic visually pleasing but no real wow factor. The building is old and the elevators are a bit of a pain because if you stay on the 11th floor only 2 elevators will take you to that floor. I had to constantly sent other elevators away to try to get one to come to me that I can use. The shower was horrible, one of the worst I have ever used. The water would go from extreme hot to cold and would consider this a deal breaker when considering a return visit. The shower glass design was also terrible and resulted in the floor being completely soaked when the shower ran. One last thing I must mention. On the day of my departure I went to the grill to get some food and had 30 minutes to leave to go to the airport. I was seated and the server did not come back for 15 minutes with my coffee, I explained that I was tight for time and was now unable to order a hot meal and that I was disappointed. The waiter came back 15 minutes later with a couple of free pasties. I left unsatisfied. Very poor service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Greetings Aaron,

Thank you for your appreciation of the bones of our historic hotel. Regretfully, the beauty of our decor did not match our service levels. I would like to assure you that this is not typical and hope that we have the chance to bring you back for another visit to prove this.

Safe travels and our apologies for not exceeding your epxectations on this recent stay.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Upon checking in I was told that there were no King bed rooms and that they were sold out for days, this one night was an add on to another reservation for 4 more nights so that did not make me happy. After getting in late at night I went to a room that barely had room to walk past the bed to get to the bathroom, it had a nice entry way but that does not help much. Not a single chair except for the one at the desk which has a non rolling chair, not made to sit and work in. The room was so small you could not even turn the desk to face the TV, there was no space and no way. I guess it might have been better had I just been there to sleep for a night or two. My attempt was to stay there and work at night. I did get a call the next morning as they were nice enough to find me a room that was what I asked for, however, it was on a lower floor and the last room down a longggggggggggg hallway and right across from where they were using the earth movers and jack hammers to tear down the old mall. The good news with that was with all that noise I did not need a wake up call. If you like old and classic, I guess this is the place for you. I would give high marks to all of the staff I encountered except for the one guy that checked me in, I am sure that he was not the one that contacted the manager to get me what I ordered as he could not have been more uninterested in doing anything to assist. The other person at the desk was much more helpful and I would bet that he was the one that reported the issue. It is a beautiful hotel with a great history but did not work out well for my needs.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Mark,

Please accept our sincere apology for not exceeding your expectations. OK is not a word in our vocabulary making this an serious issue in our book. Thank you for taking the time to pen this review and sharing what detracted from your stay. We have our work cut out for us but we will strive to make improvements with the feedback provided.

We hope that you will consider another stay with us in the future. We know that we cannot be everything to all people but we know we can and should have done better by your stay.

Thank you, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the US Grant for 1night just after leaving a 6 star resort in Csbo San Lucas Mx. The reason I mention this is because the US Grants level of service was exceptional & truly put the 6 star hotel to shame that I had just checked out of. At check in we received a super helpful map of the area that highlighted all the surrounding points of interest. The rooms were very clean and surprisingly updated. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone!

Special mention to Valet & Front Desk staff -job well done

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank JELISA
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Jalisa,

Thank you for your 6+ star review. While we strive for 5 stars and know that this means we exceeded our guest's expectations, 6 stars is something else entirely!

Your appreciation and recognition has been shared with the team to celebrate their achievements. The next time you are in the neighborhood, we look forward to hosting you once again and perhaps for a longer stay?

Many thanks,