“Really Nice Place, Impeccable Service”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #47 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed here for business was really impressed all the little touches. Everyone in lobby from the bellman to the front desk staff are incredibly professional and helpful, really driving home the "Luxury Hotel" experience. It is a historical hotel so things are on a smaller scale than you find in huge new hotel, but it is still such a beautiful place. When I found that the door to my room on the 6th floor was right there in the elevator lobby area, I was disappointed and worried that it would be a noisy spot. But it wasn't AT ALL. The hotel was at capacity and I never heard anyone coming and going outside my door or any elevator noise at all.
The staff come around about 6pm to offer free water and cocktails and turn down service, which is a really nice touch.
The lobby bar is very nice and a perfect spot for an after dinner drink. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask what your room view looks at when checking in, some are looking out about 20 feet to other room...

Reviewed November 29, 2012

hot water did not work. I had to take a lukewarm shower the last couple of days. I called immediately when this happened and the management sent someone up to fix the issue but it was not fixed. Instead, I was given a $100 credit towards my bill which was nice. Taking nearly cold showers is not fun.

The location is good if you're interested in staying downtown near the Gaslamp District. However right outside the hotel, the area can be sketchy and noisy. There are lots of pawn shops and check cashing stores close by which bring a bad element to the area. Once you walk past that area further down 5th Ave. then it's fine. Another thing is lots of drunks at 2 am yelling outside. If you plan on doing partying and drinking in the Gaslamp District, then the US Grant is a good choice. If you're more interested in Sea World or the beaches, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.

The hotel iteslf and rooms are very nice. The staff is pleasant and valet service is prompt. Breakfast in the hotel was excellent as well. Lots of good things to like about this hotel but some things to be cautious about too. I'd given it 4 out of 5 rating if the hot water had worked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street noise
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here for business recently and found the service, rooms, and restaurant an outstanding combination. The lobby has been beautifully restored and is lovely to walk around in. The Grant Grill restaurant had the best hotel food I've had in many years and the service was impeccable! I had a grand deluxe room on the top floor and noise was not a problem from the street. Room service and valet parking were also fast and efficient. All and all, a wonderful stay on business and I'll gladly stay again when in San Diego.

Room Tip: High floor is good.
1  Thank Happy_Vacationers2
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We overnighted at the US Grant after our Panama Canal Cruise. We chose the hotel on-line as it was in the Gaslamp district, which we heard was an entertaining area to stay in ,close to shopping and restaurants with a reasonable price ($142.00) per night. The hotel is a 100 years old, but has been beautifully restored. Our room was comfortable, clean and was completely updated.
Staff were very courteous, professional and helpful.
Unfortunately the day we arrived was American Thanksgiving, so all the stores and most of the attractions that San Diego is famous for were closed. We did not eat in the Hotels Restaurant, as it was completely booked, so can not offer a comment on the food other than to say the menu looked enticing, but be prepared to part with at least $200.00 if you order an appetizer a main and like to enjoy a bottle of wine with your spouse.
We still enjoyed our stay, and would recommend others explore using this hotel

Reviewed November 26, 2012

stayed at the US Grant Hotel for a week. The staff was friendly and very attentive. My one issue was noise from outside. The odd # rooms face the street, and it can get noisy. In the future I would request a room not facing the street. The matress and and quilts made the bed one of the most comfortable that I ever slept in.

Room Tip: have them give you an inside room, less noise
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The US Grant is a 19th century downtown San Diego landmark. It has been carefully restored to a cool, subtle, elegant state. The staff are friendly and efficient. The rooms, although on the small side, are quite comfortable.

The bathroom has some problems. The shower yields just a pathetic dribble of lukewarm water.I called engineering in the quest for hot water, they came up, measured the temperature to be 98 degrees and pronounced it hot enough for anyone. In Canada, residential water heaters are set at a default of 130 degrees. It's possible that if there were hot water, some cold water could be mixed in and possibly generate a little more volume. The single lever tap on the sink was defective, and the significant effort required to move it resulted in it banging loudly against the sink. We never succeeded in getting hot water out of it either.

We were attending a conference, and the food provided was hands down the best conference food I have ever experienced.

It is unlikely you will leave the hotel for an early morning walk or an after dinner stroll. There are derelict, boarded-up builindgs on three sides of the hotel, and the sidewalks are populated with an unsettling mix of low-level drug dealers and homeless people. The women in our group were generally afraid to leave the hotel, and two of those who did were followed.

Room Tip: ICheck the functioing of the tap on the bathroom sink and the shower before accepting the room. If y...
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Because I can't retype all that transpired, here is my letter to management. We checked in on the day before Thanksgiving.

To Whom it May Concern,
I will be interested to see if you actually read these responses or not.

I am completely dissatisfied with our stay at the US Grant hotel.

If you look to see when we book, we booked about 2 hours before we arrived. We live in Los Angeles and decided to spare us the drive down to SD for Thanksgiving and go for a night in a LUXURY 5 STAR hotel.

We arrived near midnight, checked in . I made casual conversation with the front desk, he said that the hotel was about 50% full.

We were awoken by a very noisy guitar blazing rock band in the morning. I thought I had overslept because the noise was so loud, but shocked to see it was 7am.

I called the concierge (I think her name was Marcella, you can check the staffing at 7am on Thanksgiving to be sure)
and she said she would move us. She said she couldn't hear anything in the lobby.

So, I thought she would just move us over towards the lobby.

In a daze, we packed up on a few hours of sleep and then went up 10 floors. Only to be welcomed by the same sound level. There was a marathon or some event in the streets below . My comment to Marcella was that next thanksgiving just place folks on the other side of the hotel, or let them know!! We asked to be MOVED AGAIN. I dont blame the hotel for the noise, but being mindful next year is all I said.

After 20 minutes, no one came to rescue us. So at this time, we are wide awake. We called Marcella again and she was very apologetic. She said she would like to extend $50 in breakfast or room service. We asked her to waive the valet parking and she said she would.

When we checked out, we told the front desk gal, I didn't get her name but he had dark brown hair about the situation and that we would like the $50 off the room charge instead of breakfast.

Its Thanksgiving, we were staying over just to see our family fresh in the afternoon. No point in eating at the hotel. Of course I am not stupid and know that $50 in food and beverage (high mark up) is not the same $50 out of pocket, didn't matter to us though.

She was frazzled and said she could not do anything for us. I told her that Marcella had offered and we started to both be irritated. I told her I would take matters to the manager...which is when she authorized removing $50. With a smirk on her face, like it was killing her to do this, she with pure hesitation said she would remove $50.

We left, with invoice folded in hand, and at the Valet parking, noticed she removed $50 but NOT the $35 valet. Wow, she really duped us....what in the world. THis is supposed to be a 5 star resort??

WHY OFFER US SOMETHING AND NOT GO THROUGH WITH IT!?? They said valet at $50 off...

So I asked Mark, the manager of valet to take care of it when we stepped outside. I was so bothered. Its about the principle, not the measly $35. He went back in (I know he's a 3rd party) and could not resolve anything.

We drove off upset to our first thanksgiving together. My husband and I just got married and we were already off to a bad start to see our family but it gets worse.

We drove out to Poway when I realized that I did not have my camera bag with me. It must have not gotten packed up in the daze. We called, and housekeeping said they didn't have it. I quickly remembered that I had brought along for the holiday our ONLY copy of our wedding DVD. We were going to play it today...and suddenly really panicked. I called again and spoke to Leann at Concierge. I explained the situation and she called back2 minutes later and said she retrieved the bag. I will say, Leann was awesome.

We drove back to the US Grant (again, its Thanksgiving) and met with Leann. I asked to speak to the manager and Mr Nathan Davis happened to be there.

Told him my story.
Broke into tears with my frustration.

NOW, here's the part I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND Mr. Davis. ...at this point, he should have NOT hestitated and just gave us the $35 valet fee.

Why??? Because why would i make up such a story??
Instead, whomever else this letter will go to if this i not resolved, instead of taking care of business Mr. Davis said he needed to "discuss" this with all parties involved.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This is a 5 star resort?????

I explained that i understood the hotel had no bearing on the noise, but once Marcella offered something, she needs to keep her promise. I never asked for anything, I never asked for 20,000 points , never asked to be comped, NOTHING.

So , here is my complaint letter. My last words to Mr. Davis is to "DO THE RIGHT THING." He took my email because I needed to leave the premises, as it was now 2AM on Thanskgivng and I am completely and beyond frustrated.

DO THE RIGHT THING. I will continue to complain and make waves . Its the principle of the matter. This is so ridiculous that it deserves to be spotlighted. We wasted our time, had added stress about a missing camera bag with $10,000 worth of gear and all I wanted was $35 to be removed.

Absurd.This is absurd to write this all out at 1:36am, but its ok becuase now all I have to do is copy and paste on TripAdvisor, fromers, Expedia, Starwood.

Of note, Leann text to offer us a free dinner tonight. That was a kind gesture, but an easy offer because we would most likely decline as I told her we were in town for family.

Disgusted,