“My memorable stay”

THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #42 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The minute I walked into the lobby I thought I was in the wrong place. Way too fancy for me. But I was in the right place, and what a place. I was treated like a king and being a project manager for an Australian company I was noy used to such luxury.

The staff were some of the nicest and most professional people I have ever met. I didnt know that such a level of excellence existed in the hospitality business. My country has a lot to learn and I would use The Grant as a bench mark any day of the week.

Congratulations on your fine hotel . I will be back in three weeks when I go back to Australia to pick up my 11 year old boy. We are going to stay for a few days and they will be the two days he will remember for the rest of his life.

Yours sincerely,

Stuart biggins

Room Tip: Check out their website
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
NFBD, Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Mr. Biggins,

We are anticipating your next stay! To travel so far it is an honor to be your hotel of choice and to have you want to share this experience with your family is priceless.

Please do reach out prior to your arrival so that we can welcome you in style!

Many thanks,

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,530)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

A one of a kind hotel with great ambience and charm. I found myself wondering around the lobby and surrounding areas like it was a museum. Room was very comfortable and impressive with artwork. Room had the old world feeling yet was updated. Service was generally superb with a glitch. Check in was smooth and friendly yet I just got a feeling they were not completely sincere or genuine. Even though there is a parking charge, the valets were very nice, helpful and top notch. Was disappointed with the easy chair in the room as it was nasty dirty. Was going to eat at their restaurant but was met with indifference upon entering and was turned off. Yet their gift shop/ coffee shop lady was so nice and helpful with a great cup of coffee it was unreal. A great location, walking distance to shops, restaurants and the sites. But be aware of the homeless outside the door as it could be a bit unnerving.

Room Tip: If you get a room facing other rooms you will need to keep blinds drawn for privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Greetings Randy,

thank you for taking the time to populate this feedback! We appreciate your balanced approach and know that given this feedback, we have some work to do with what you speak to. We have no room in this industry for indifference and will most certainly focus dilligently on our "eager to please" culture.

We hope that the next time you are in San Diego you will again consider a stay with us! Our team is always striving to improve and your loyalty will give us the chance to show this to you personally.

Safe travels and we will be waiting for you,

Sincerely, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stay at W and Westin SPG properties because they usually leave nothing to be desired and US Grant was no different. Beautiful facility, historic charm and very well appointed. The historic photos in the lower level are very interesting so go take a look! Also, the Crystal ballroom is so beautiful and hidden in the LL. We were upgraded to a suite based on my SPG status and the room was absolutely fabulous. Thank you!

My first visit to downtown San Diego and I was a bit taken back by the number of homeless people around. I suppose though if I were homeless San Diego would be a good place to be. It doesn't feel unsafe but I wouldn't be comfortable wandering about alone at midnight.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We checked into the Grant on Friday. It is a great hotel, full of history and situated near the famed gaslight district. We had a great rate, great service and when our return flight to Newark was cancelled, we were able to check in again at the same rate. Mark and rest of the staff was always pleasant and most helpful. And the complimentary coffee! Superb. I would stay there again w/o hesitation.

A. McLean

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Upon our arrival for a romantic getaway, we arrived around 4:30 PM on a saturday. Upon checkin, the front desk helped us with the check in. Seeing we were there for special occasion, he offered to put us in a higher floor (7th floor) as opposed to the available floor (3rd floor). That was indeed a nice touch as it is a "SPG member floor", not sure what that means as nothing is really special about that floor, aside from being further away from the street noise. The "arrangement" wasn't done until 30 min or so later because the prior guest had a late check out. The front desk offered to buy us drinks at the bar while waiting. We politely decline as we decided to go to town and get some medicine as my bf is not feeling too well. We also left our luggages with the front desk who told us that they will be delivered to our room.

Upon coming back from the pharmacy, we waited for additional 15 min as they are getting our room ready. We were told to go upstairs and our luggages will be ready in our room. We went ahead and took the elevator and arrived in our impressive room. Great decor, clean and.....small little imperfection (e.g. slighly torn shades) until we open the bathroom door. There's a smell of sewer. According to my bf, the smell comes from the sewer system and it can be toxic. The smell is caused by some bacteria (yes, he is in the waste water business). He cracked the window open to air out the room. He told me changing the room will not impact much as probably the old sewer line was not treated properly, hence the odor.

After arriving for 15 min, the luggages still have not arrived, and we decided to call the front desk again and it was delivered 15 min later. Apparently there's a miscommunication between the front desk and the bell boy.

After unpacking and trying to get a nap before our dinner, there's a hard knock at our door. Complimentary chocolate from the hotel for our anniversary, which was a GREAT TOUCH. Except, it would have been MUCH better, if it was left in our room before we arrive. Delivering it hours later, will interrupt any activities that we would be doing (napping, getting ready etc) or will have missed it if we have left the room and would have not had the element of SURPRISE and ROMANCE.

The bed was very comfortable and plush. we were having great night sleep until, early morning cry by the kids next door woken us up. We just realized that we have connecting door to the next room and the walls were pretty thin.

Upon checking out and trying to pack away my stuff, I decided that I needed more laundry bags, more than the one bag that they provide hotel guests in the closet. The great thing about US grant is that they also provide hotel guest with carrying tote (with US Grant logo printed on it) for your laundry bag. I was excited and thought it was a great touch.

I decided to call to ask for more laundry bags as well as the tote bags. I called housekeepings twice and no one picks up the phone. I ended up having to call customer service to request for those items and were told that they will be delivered to my room. 30 minutes later, items are still not delivered and I decided to call customer service again. This time, I was told that they will be delivered to my room AGAIN.

Another 15 min went by and finally there's a knock on my door by a lady, who doesn't seem to be in the housekeeping as she is wearing a vest. She handed me the wrong bag, she handed me trash bag. I showed her the bags that I wanted and also pointed to her the tote bags that I want. She told me that she can't give me the tote bag as she's out of them. I was confused as I don't know how they will replenish the bags that I took from the closet of they are out of it. I insisted and told her to please find me those bags as I need them to carry my dirty laundry. She finally came back with several. I was upset that I had to go the extra length to just get those extra bags. Those small items should be made available to hotel guests without questions especially when requested and considering how much the hotel charges.

That left me with a bitter taste in my mouth with my experience with US Grant. Love the decor, Love the Valet staff, Not too crazy about front desk, ok with the bellboy, DEFINITELY not OK with the housekeeping.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floor to avoid traffic noise. Try to get rooms without the connecting door...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is one of my favorite hotels. The staff makes sure that every detail is perfect including the water at valet to the slippers by your bed at night. We stayed on the Starwood Preferred Guests floor and were treated very well. Breakfast at the US Grant Grill was delicious and the entertainment in the evening was very relaxing and fun. Having the Halloween costumes outside just made it even more fun, especially the Walk of the Dead. I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in San Diego.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Greetings Carol,

thank you for your stay with us at THE US GRANT! We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay over such a ghoulish holiday! Our global explorers are a diverse group who find delight in sometimes the strangest of places and yes indeed, these can be found right outside our very door depending on the season you visit whether that be from Halloween to Comic Con!

Please do come to visit again and help us in turning another page in the history of THE US GRANT!

Sincerely, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Reviewed October 31, 2012

First time we stayed at The Grant Hotel & had a great experience. We really were treated like VIP's! Everything was perfect, from the valet to the front desk & everyone in between. The room was done up to perfection, the bed was turned down (as requested) with a mat & slippers on each side of the bed. Nice robes hung in the closet & all the other amenities throughout, including complimentary bottled water. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. I can't image not being impressed with the hotel & staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple