We stayed at the US Grant in San Diego during a 4-day visit (Dec 24 - 27). This hotel is a beautiful historic hotel - it's celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2008, and you can see the sense of history everywhere you go in the hotel. The furniture, the furnishings, artwork, etc. were all chosen because of their historical significance.
Good things about the hotel:
1) Location - it's right across from Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp Quarters, so you have shopping and eating right on your doorstep. There is a convenient store a few blocks up (Rite-Aid). If you don't have a car, the bus stop is right across the street, and the tram is behind the hotel. Very convenient location!
2) History - this hotel is great for history buffs. Ask the concierge for a free tour of the hotel. They'll take you on a private tour (approx 1 hour) of the public and private areas of the hotel. It's well worth your time!
3) Concierge service - this is a Luxury Collection hotel, so you expect the service to be top-notch. I wasn't disappointed! The concierge was very helpful in securing restaurant reservations and more important, the photo safari reservation at the Wild Animals Park.
4) Free wireless Internet in the lobby - don't bother paying for Internet service in your room.
5) Restaurant - the Grant Grill is one of the top restaurants in the city. We unfortunately didn't get to try it, but we heard great things about it from the locals while we were in SD.
1) The room - the room is a bit small, but it's likely because this is an older hotel. The bathroom is at least a fair size so no complaints there. The room is beautifully furnished though - the bed was very comfortable, and there was original artwork in every room (by the same artist) above the bed. The TV wasn't flat screen either.
2) Valet parking - $30 a day (with in and out privileges) to park at the hotel! We thought LA was expensive, but this was worse! There are other parking lots around the area if you look carefully that'll be cheaper, but they might not be as safe.
3) Downtown San Diego - downtown is not as exciting as I thought it would be, because at night, the area gets a bit "seedy". Even the Gaslamp Quarter isn't as lively as expected.
If you have to stay in downtown San Diego and you don't mind a smaller room, then US Grant is a great hotel to stay. You definitely feel pampered while you're there. But if you have a choice, stay in La Jolla instead, where it's a lot livelier in the evenings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Luxury San Diego Hotel offers an exquisite experience in one of America's finest cities. The US Grant has a luxury experience with a historic feel to make your trip to San Diego memorable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The US Grant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Us Grant Hotel San Diego
- Us Grant San Diego