“A truly historic hotel - but rooms are bit small”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #46 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“A truly historic hotel - but rooms are bit small”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

We stayed at the US Grant in San Diego during a 4-day visit (Dec 24 - 27). This hotel is a beautiful historic hotel - it's celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2008, and you can see the sense of history everywhere you go in the hotel. The furniture, the furnishings, artwork, etc. were all chosen because of their historical significance.

Good things about the hotel:

1) Location - it's right across from Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp Quarters, so you have shopping and eating right on your doorstep. There is a convenient store a few blocks up (Rite-Aid). If you don't have a car, the bus stop is right across the street, and the tram is behind the hotel. Very convenient location!

2) History - this hotel is great for history buffs. Ask the concierge for a free tour of the hotel. They'll take you on a private tour (approx 1 hour) of the public and private areas of the hotel. It's well worth your time!

3) Concierge service - this is a Luxury Collection hotel, so you expect the service to be top-notch. I wasn't disappointed! The concierge was very helpful in securing restaurant reservations and more important, the photo safari reservation at the Wild Animals Park.

4) Free wireless Internet in the lobby - don't bother paying for Internet service in your room.

5) Restaurant - the Grant Grill is one of the top restaurants in the city. We unfortunately didn't get to try it, but we heard great things about it from the locals while we were in SD.

Not-so-good things:

1) The room - the room is a bit small, but it's likely because this is an older hotel. The bathroom is at least a fair size so no complaints there. The room is beautifully furnished though - the bed was very comfortable, and there was original artwork in every room (by the same artist) above the bed. The TV wasn't flat screen either.

2) Valet parking - $30 a day (with in and out privileges) to park at the hotel! We thought LA was expensive, but this was worse! There are other parking lots around the area if you look carefully that'll be cheaper, but they might not be as safe.

3) Downtown San Diego - downtown is not as exciting as I thought it would be, because at night, the area gets a bit "seedy". Even the Gaslamp Quarter isn't as lively as expected.

If you have to stay in downtown San Diego and you don't mind a smaller room, then US Grant is a great hotel to stay. You definitely feel pampered while you're there. But if you have a choice, stay in La Jolla instead, where it's a lot livelier in the evenings.

• Liked — Historical significance, service
  • Disliked — Small rooms, expensive valet parking
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pactio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed March 5, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at The US grant as part of a longer road trip for two nights. I booked the hotel based on the excellent reviews it had received on trip advisor, and the general appearance from travellers photos, and indeed the hotel was lovely and the pictures did it justice.

Unfortunately, we arrived later then expected, and being on a road trip, we arrived rather more scruffy than the average clientele. This was reflected by the man at the check in desk who took a very snooty attitude to the way we looked. I have stayed in quite a number of 5 star hotels, and haven't always arrived looking smart, but I have never received the sort of look I did from this man. We took our own bags to our room - no bell hop was offered.

The room was nice, if a little small, it was only just possible to open the bathroom door, as the bed was in the way. I had booked a superior room, but would be interested to know what the difference is between the the room I booked and a standard room, as it can not be size. Bathroom also had no bath.

The other issue I had were with the lack of things in the room. I had to call guest services to get a coffee maker, somewhat of a standard in most hotel rooms, and then coffee mugs (which didn't come with the coffee maker) and then wine glasses. It got a little boring ringing down, especially when I had to do the same thing again the following day, as everything had been taken away.

I also felt uncomfortable about the homeless people in the park right outside the hotel. I am an early morning walker, and if the overriding smell of urine wasn't bad enough, the pan handling was very pleasant especially for a woman on her own.

This hotel seems to cater more to the business person on a short trip, and if I was visiting San Diego again I would choose to stay somewhere else

• Liked — grandness of the hotel
  • Disliked — area
2 Thank justpastone
California, USA
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I stayed here for one night in December 2007 while attending a holiday event at the hotel. The Grant is in a great location, on Broadway and across from the Horton Plaza shopping plaza. Very close to most downtown sights; lots of restaurants, clubs, etc., within walking distance. Valet parking is a bit difficult to find, but service quick and efficient. Big lobby with lots of couches and seats. Check-in/out a breeze. Had a very nice corner room on the 4th floor overlooking Horton Plaza. A word of warning: if you are bothered by street noise, you may want to ask for a different location. Room was average size with a big closet in the entryway, very comfortable bed, desk, chair, bureau. Nice LCD TV and very nice clock radio/stereo. Old style bathroom, refurbished a year or so ago. Nice amenities, including robes and slippers. The room - and the hotel - maintains the feel of a 20s style grand hotel updated to the 21st century. The hotel bar is itself something of a landmark and is not to be missed. Overall a nice high end place to stay if you're interested in downtown SD.

• Liked — Old style hotel with modern updates; great service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank DavandNat
Denver
Reviewed February 25, 2008

A wonderful hotel that met all of out expectations for a quiet, luxurious long weekend.

The rooms are beautifully appointed with downy, crisp bed linens, fluffy towels, beautiful rugs, and two large flat screen TV's--one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. Since it was our anniversary, we splurged on a junior suite. Additionally, in the sitting room, the TV was connected to a Bose audio system on which we were able to play our DVD's.

The hotel itself is elegant, old world style, with a helpful, friendly staff, great bar and restaurant and a grand lobby with lots of places to sit and just observe the world go by. The hotel is steps away from a large mall, the Gaslamp District, and lots of restaurants. We used the services of the concierge, who was gracious and gave us great dining recommendations.

A few small nits: 1. The bathroom in the our room was small (albeit lovely) with literally no place to put a cosmetic bag; and 2. the housekeeping was a bit spotty. The housekeeping staff didn't get to our room to change towels and make up the bed until 4 o'clock each day, when we had returned from our daily sightseeing and wanted to rest. The housekeeping staff was great, though; looked to me like they didn't have enough staff to get the work done earlier.

All in all The Grant is a great place to stay. Our stay extended from a weeknight into the weekend. The hotel was populated by business people during the week, which made for a very quiet time. During the weekend, some families showed up which raised the noise level a bit. Not alarmingly so, but I notice business people tend to be quieter at night, and don't spend a lot of time talking loudly outside one's door in the corridors acting like they're the only ones in the hotel.

The hotel is expenisve; our room costing close to $400. The hotel taxes are steep, though, so you might want to factor that into your price point.

• Liked — The luxury of the hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank Revere
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our first trip to San Diego. We are quite picky with our choices and were very pleased with this hotel. Our big "musts": cleanliness, location, ambiance, and as close to 5 star quality as possible. CLEANLINESS: This hotel was impeccably clean. Not one complaint. LOCATION: located in the Gas Lamp district of San Diego. Buses run by the hotel. Across the street from a great mall with outdoor walkways. Restaurants galore in the area, including a great bar restaurant across the street with over 100 different types of beer on tap, very unique. The USS Midway is a 10-15min walk down Broadway to the pier. At the same pier at the end of Broadway you can also catch a ferry to Coronado Island. From the hotel, a quick 10min taxi ride and we were at Balboa park and the zoo. AMBIANCE: my husband and I dislike fussy and overly ornate décor. The hotel is exquisitely decorated. Tones of beige and cool blue with touches of chocolate. The hotel has great presence, completely renovated it has a new feeling and old world charm. Great photos of the hotel in the early days are on the walls in the lobby area. This hotel is quiet and pleasant to return to after long days of site seeing. The staff were always pleasant to talk to and frequently asked for any way in which they could be of service. Friendly doesn’t do enough to describe the staff there, they made the experience top notch. The hotel bar is very nice and dining at the Grant Grille was delicious. Great food and drinks along with amazing staff. ROOM: The room was wonderful & completely new. The linens we nice, crisp white and there was a huge painting for the headboard wall. The room also had a gigantic framed mirror leaning up against one wall. We had a medium sized flat screened TV, a desk and nice sized closet. Coffee and tea pod maker in the room. The bathroom was wonderful. Marble countertop, huge step-in marble shower.
The hotel personnel were a highlight of the stay. From the doorman, to the concierge, to the front desk, to the room service, etc. Every person we interacted with had the 5 star hotel communication hat on. They were great! The hotel was perfect and we really enjoyed our visit, we will stay here again.

• Liked — Renovations, so it was brand new! Amazing Staff!
1 Thank Top-notch-Tastes
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed February 14, 2008

I generally enjoyed my stay at the U.S. Grant in San Diego. The hotel is well located in the central downtown area directly across the street from Horton Plaza, a nice semi-outdoor shopping complex that includes a Nordstroms and Macys. I was in San Diego for a meeting and was able to walk to the convention center in about 15 minutes.

The hotel is quite impressive from the outside. It is a classic design and has the presence of an established landmark. The inside is equally impressive with an expansive lobby. Check in was smooth and efficient.

My room was visually appealing with a nice king size bed, a side table with CD clock radio, a 32 inch LCD, etc. The bathroom was somewhat modern with a great basin although there was only a shower and no tub available in my room.

The Grant Grill is their only restaurant. I enjoyed the food there and everything seemed well-prepared. There are many nearby alternatives not only at Horton Plaza but all along the Gas Light District as well as near the convention center. I was able to easily find a Mortons, a Flemings, a Rock Bottom, and many local establishments.

The health club is fairly nice although small. The equipment appears quite new and includes built-in television feeds.
a
Just for reference, there are a few issues that should be noted. Although I find the nearby areas interesting, there are quite a large number of homeless people even directly across the street. One morning, I counted at least 30 homeless types (sleeping bags + carts) well within 50 yards of the hotel’s front entrance. I was never bothered by anyone, but if you have anxiety after dark in those situations, you might just want to be aware of it. In addition, there was an error on my bill that developed because the minibr fridge automatically charges you when the items in the fridge are moved. I told them I was just seeing what was in there, but it would be nice for them to confirm the use before charging since the sensor seems quite sensitive.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. I would likely consider staying again although I might opt for the $100 suite upgrade that was offered to me when I made my reservation. Since I was there by myself, I declined. However, with more than one person in the room, the extra space would be nice.

• Liked — The classic atmosphere
  • Disliked — The somewhat rundown surroundings
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
11 Thank dukektown
addison,texas
Reviewed February 5, 2008

The US Grant is a nice hotel located conveniently downtown. The valet/bell service when we arrived made us feel welcome. Check in was easy and we loved our room on the top floor. Nice spacious bathrooms and luxurious soaps were a nice touch. The linens were wonderful but the beds were a bit hard for me. The room was a little stuffy but we couldn't keep the windows open since it was quite noisy outside. Room service was good and the only drawback to the Grant was the $30 parking fee. Would definitely go back and stay for a longer visit!

• Liked — location and rooms
  • Disliked — parking fees and internet fees
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family