“Not just an excellent hotel but also an even better restaurant...”

THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #42 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Tried to check in early and didn't have any luck, but had a bit of adventure with the luggage that day and the bellman didn't make it for the appt. to take it down for check-out. But that's all as far as it goes for not excellent. Grant's Grill is outstanding. If my beef tenderloin with marrow had been hot instead of warm I may have been more impressed, but the cut was the best I have ever had. Everything else was a good as it gets, including value and service. Outstanding wine pairing deal for dinner.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to deluxe for a quiet night. Beds are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,530)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I had a great getaway to The US Grant Hotel in San Diego. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, and has so much character. I think that is what distinguishes this hotel from the many many choices in the area. The rooms are beautiful and clean, the lobby is gorgeous, and every person on the staff we met was helpful and very accomodating. People who complain about paying $30 for parking... get over it; that is the price you will pay at any hotel in downtown. The US Grant is the most upscale hotel in Gaslamp in my opinion and you cannot go wrong if you decide to stay here.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a very good hotel in a great San Diego location. The mall and the Gas Lamp Quarter are across the street. You won't lack for the variety of shopping, eating or drinking to be sure.

The lobby is beautiful and restored perfectly to the hotel's historic roots.

I found every employee I encountered to be friendly and professional.

The stylish room where I stayed was very good and big enough for our needs. The bathroom, equipped with the latest and trendiest hardware (faucets, shower heads, door knobs, etc), was excellent. The bed was good although I've slept in better hotel beds (the Waldorf Astoria for example).

I have deducted one star from my rating due to the loud HVAC. Yes, the street noise is loud--I heard emergency vehicles, the street cars rambling down Broadway, and the homeless quarreling in Horton Plaza, all these the hotel cannot control. But the HVAC I assume is new and therefore shouldn't be loud. Another reason for the deduction are for the small things that if fixed, could really plus the hotel for better a guest experience. These small things include: (1) Windows need to be dual pane as other have mentioned. (2) There was a lack of drawer space to store clothing, forcing you to use your luggage as an ad hoc dresser. This gets tiring if you stay more than a couple of days. (3) From what I can tell you had to pay to print your boarding pass. It's a good thing the airport is close. Still, printing a boarding pass has been a free, routine service in every hotel I've ever stayed in.

All in all, my stay was very good and I would recommend it to others.

1  Thank DonJulioAnejo
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have just returned from a holiday travelling througth California and stayed at the US Grant for our last 3 days. We found the staff to be really helpful through-out our stay. The concierge was really helpful and gave us great tips for local restaurants to try all of which were great. The hotel is in a good location and it is easy to walk to the local area's/restaurants. We had a great time and will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and this gave us a good view of the city.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The US Grant has served as a romantic getaway for my wife and I for several years. It has never disappointed!! It is one of the most Historic and Romantic places you will find in San Diego in addition to exceptional service, immaculate facilities and beautiful rooms. Not to mention close proximity to anything downtown, 5-10 min walk (or bike cab), 15-20 min to SD attractions. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes quality.

While there are plenty of dinning options downtown, and I've tried plenty, the Grant Grill is in its own special category. Alberto, the Grill manager, knows exactly what the restaurant experience should be and doesn't disappoint. Make sure you strike a conversation when he approaches your table and ask him to recommend one of the Grill's own coctail creations. You can spend your entire stay at the hotel if you so desire...as we did.

The US Grant is absolutely amazing-without question!

Room Tip: Ask for a view to Horton Plaza.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I had the opportunity to spend the weekend at the U.S. Grant. The hotel is in an ideal location, downtown. There is really no need to use your vehcle once it is parked. Great restaurants and shops are within walking distance of the hotel. The staff at U.S. Grant is friendly, helpful and professional. The U.S. Grant staff seems to anticipate all of your needs and address them promptly! The rates are very reasonable for the ammenties that this hotel offers. In short, my wife and I had a wonderful experience at the U.S. Grant and couldn't be happier with the time that we were fortunate enough to be their guests!!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We spent 3 nights here last month. Service was impeccable. Valets offer to fill your ice chest when leaving and provide bottled water for your trip. Turndown service at night. Right across street from bar which has something like 135 beers on tap. Did not have a pool. Room was good sized and comfortable. Bathroom was nice, included robes and a scale. No pool, which was a downer. Great location. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends