“Great service at the US Grant Hotel”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 21, 2008

We have just returned from a stay at The US Grant Hotel, where we were pleasantly surprised of the accommodations. Service was excellent, pleasant staff. Average size rooms were cozy and quite luxurious. King size beds were very comfortable. Overall renovations of rooms and bathrooms were excellent. Ask for the history tour of the hotel, we found it interesting. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant "The Grant Grill", as we were happy to walk the downtown area and found lots of interesting places to eat. Although the original windows were not changed as of yet, we found out it is in the future plans. Room was a "little" noisy, but not enough to ruin a good nights sleep. Gym in the basement was not too exciting, we did not use it. We would definitely stay there again on any future trips to San Diego.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joseph_richard
There are newer reviews for The US Grant

Reviewed January 17, 2008

Very nice hotel. Building was beautiful... renovations were wonderfully executed. Perfect location if you are looking for a centrally located hotel in San Diego. Service was also very good. The only reason I didn't give it a "5" rating is because there was quite a bit of street noise.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank bluegatsby
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Our family occupied four rooms at the US Grant for three nights. We had two regular rooms, one medium-size suite and one large suite.
The positives: Gracious, helpful, friendly staff. Very helpful front desk staff and concierge. Excellent valet service. Very good catering service and banquet facility. Large, well-appointed suite with huge bathroom and shower. Good location next to the gaslamp district and a lot of good restaurants and shopping. Lovely lobby, restaurant, common areas, great elevators. Good value - excellent rates for the week between Christmas and New Year's.
The negatives: Regular rooms a bit small. It was cool outside(50's and 60's) and despite room thermostat set at 65, rooms were still too warm, so I'm not sure if the air conditioning/heat was working properly. We opened the windows, but it was rather noisy outside. Fair housekeeping (despite the fact that we left a very good tip the first night, they did not always replace towels at evening service, sometimes failed to replace bottled water, failed to clean coffee maker after use, failed to replenish toiletries). Despite recent renovation, some areas in need of paint/stain touchups. Expensive restaurant. Staff (especially concierge) very good but definitely overworked; had extensive wait every time we tried to speak with him/her.

I would stay here again if I wanted to be near the gaslamp district and could get the same very good room rates; otherwise I'd try a different hotel in San Diego.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank IllinoisLovetotravel
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Got a good rate on a Landmark Suite via the hotel's Web site. The room was in great shape and the artistic elements (like the customized headboard) were really amazing. Other than that the bedroom was a little bright at night, the room was absolutely perfect.

Also I thought the hotel had really impeccable service. Everyone was very polite and courteous. People did a good job of remembering your name and making you feel very welcomed.

My wife and I loved our stay here and we'd go back in a heartbeat.

One note on location: I attended a convention and this is a manageable walk to the Convention Center or any stops in the Gaslamp Quarter (although there are certainly closer hotels if that's important). I enjoyed having a little walk every day since San Diego has such great weather.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank T-BoneMN
Reviewed December 23, 2007

Since I tend to get wordy, here is my bottom line: I thought this was a beautiful, glamorous hotel in a great area and I would stay there again.

Service: really great, helpful people, a highlight of the hotel. They
were very gracious.

Rooms: We were on the top floor- we splurged on an upgraded room with a special whirlpool tub- they were beautiful and relatively spacious (coming from nyc at least) but this is an older hotel, even though it has been upgraded, there is no mistaking that this is an old building and therefore did not have as moderna feel as some hotes. We had a view of the city which was beautiful at night. The bathrooms were also nicely decorated, marble, glass and wood.

Food: we didn't eat at the hotel since there are just so many restaurants in the area, the proximity to so many is a bonus. .

Transportation: we rented a car and valet parked- the valets were very nice and helpful and did their job with a lot of professionalism.

this is a beautiful, upgraded hotel and we thought that the service was great. It was not the most luxurious hotel we have ever been in because of the historic feel to the building and the rooms, but it is still very nice. The proximity to things is a plus.

let me know if anyone has questions!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank kkrtraveler
Reviewed December 14, 2007

As always, I searched the internet for the best deals for a weekend getaway to San Diego. The goal: to view the Dead Sea Scrolls. (Read the bottom for my point in telling you that I searched the internet -- you'll love it!)

As a single parent and a high school teacher, I am always on a budget. I do, however, prefer to stay at hotels, not motels, that offers that extra touch of class. Such as the orchid and ti leaf leis that the Westin Maui greets its guests with or the free room upgrade and creamy chocolate mousse drops at Costa Rica's Hotel Grano de Oro. The US Grant is one of these hotels.

We booked the 9 a.m. viewing of the Scrolls and were done sooner than expected. I called the hotel and requested an early check in -- no problem, which is great, especially if you have two teens who felt like they spent way too much time looking at old pieces of scrap paper!

The hotel is aesthetically pleasing. The room we were given was also above average, boasting a flat screen television, marble bathroom, SO comfortable beds with crisp, but smooth, linens. I also love it when the rooms come with plush robes. The toiletries were a treat (Gilchrist & Soames), which may be a small thing to some, but to me, it makes a world of difference!

If location is important, the Grant is the answer! The Gaslamp Quarter, along with a huge mall is directly across the street. Little Italy is about a five minutes drive or 20-30 minutes walk. I wouldn't, though, recommend walking too much at night since I saw a few shady characters and homeless people (?).

There is one negative to the US Grant--parking is a nightmare, which almost forces guests to hand over $30 for valet parking. The other option is paying for public parking ($12-15), but as I mentioned, the characters I saw are questionable.

Overall, the US Grant is a place I will return to.
PS If you are a Starwood miles member, I was able to book this hotel, which can cost close to $300 per night, for 4500 miles + $90. You heard it correctly (I knew I had a story), $90!!! Now is that a deal or what?!

2  Thank datwahine
Reviewed December 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed here over 4th of July weekend
with another couple. The location is excellent as it is next to
Horton Plaza and the gaslamp Quarter. It has recently undergone a 2 year renovation and is absolutely beautiful. A fantasy art deco bar in the lobby/marbled floor entry/ chocolate brown and blue billy haines era furnishings /incredible chandaliers are all part of its charm. The rooms are upscale and tasteful with every amenity-
bowl sinks/glass showers/travertine floors/bose radios etc.

Stayed: July 2007