“Great location and value for MCRD graduation!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport
Ranked #93 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Booked through SATO for Marine Boot Graduation. Excellent price and location. Shuttle for airport as well as MCRD. This worked out very nicely. Close, within walking distance, to Old Town so lots of restaurants to choose from. Hotel and room was clean. Nice breakfast buffet. Desk staff were always very helpful and shuttle drivers were informative, prompt and pleasant. Room size and bath were good size. Pleasant stay and would come back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charshoes7
GMLQOT, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2011

Congratulations on your son’s graduation! We have great amenities and rates for those who come over to see their marine graduate. We have scheduled complimentary shuttles to and from MCRD base, as well as the airport.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Having read earlier comments on this hotel, I was quite looking forward to my stay. However, I left feeling not able to decide one way or another if I would recommend this hotel. It is situated right next to the I-5 North in Old town. Good location for local restaurants and a 5 minute drive/train in to the heart of San Diego. For some this might be useful but for me the constant traffic noise was not appealing. I stayed for 4 nights on business. The staff were very nice, eager to please and responsive to all my questions. The hotel is not very aesthetically pleasing and the fact anyone can walk past your room at any time posting countless menu’s for local restaurants is very annoying. The rooms are a good size, well equipped and to a high standard. There is a small pool but no gym. There is free high speed wifi, which was very useful. The breakfast bar is ok but it’s here the hotel lets itself down. The bread was always squashed and the lack of fresh coffee is something I would have thought most Americans would not be best pleased about?! Additionally, the breakfast room is very small and not an adequate size if the hotel was full. To compound this you are provided with plastic throw away plates, bowls, cutlery etc to use. At $149 a night this is a severe mis judgement by any hotel! Overall, I enjoyed San Diego very much but learnt that there were plenty of much better hotels offering far more amenities at the same price.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Customer satisfaction is our primary goal. I thank you for taking the time to give us a feed back on your stay as we take them in consideration to help us improve our services.

Reviewed October 8, 2010

We like La Quinta! We find them predictable, clean, comfy, and pet friendly. This La Quinta was not clean, not comfy, and basically not fit for a dog. The trim in our room was held to the wall with masking tape, the sheet felt like plastic, and the shower was almost impossible to turn on and then was impossible to turn off because the valve was broken (glad we showered in the morning). If you have an early flight, they can't get you to the airport anyway, so stay somewhere else, anywhere else, sleep in your rental car!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank majiksea

We were concerned about your experience at our hotel. We have fixed the issues you mentioned. Our shuttle hours of operation are still the same 6am to 8pm. we have kept our website up to date to keep accurate information on our amenities to our guest.

Reviewed October 2, 2010

We were able to stay at this hotel for two nights. Due to several reviews that said it was less than La Quinta standards I was somewhat nervous about the quality we would get. But I found it to be a very nice hotel.

It is an easy hotel to find and access due to its location on an on/off ramp of I-5 and near the junction of I-8. Plus it is very close to the Old Town Transit Center so buses and trolleys are readily available to take you almost anywhere in town. Also Old Town is right there and is a great place to visit for an afternoon. With plenty of restaurant choices handy we didn't feel the need to travel anywhere to eat.

The checkin was easy and friendly. The hotel was clean and looked in good repair. The hotel surrounded the courtyard pool. Our room was on the freeway side, but we were not disturbed by any noise from it. The beds were great, good sheets. The bathroom was clean. About the only negative was the limited amount of shampoo. Sometimes I bring my own, but didn't this time. There really wasn't enough for both of us.

The first night there seemed to be a lot of marine groups, parents and their sons and recruiters. The second night was a group of bicyclists. Which is just saying I felt comfortable with my fellow guests. The neighborhood was good enough that we felt comfortable walking to the hotel. Next door is the Courtyard by Marriott and on the other corner was a gas station and small store.

Another plus is the breakfast in the morning. One day for protein there were hard boiled eggs and then next there was yogurt. Instant oatmeal, make your own waffles, a variety of sweet rolls and bread and cold cereal, along with coffee, tea, a variety of juices and milk were also offered. The breakfast room was a little small, and some people took it out to the courtyard area.

There was free wifi. I also noticed a computer in the lobby which appeared to be for guest use. Parking was available, but tight. We didn't have a chance to try the pool, but I got the feeling it was not heated. While this is not a Marriott, it is certainly a good hotel and I would have no trouble staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Old Town is a great place to visit and very safe area. We are please you had a great stay and we strive for every guest to experience on what you experience on your 2 night stay. For future reference we have extra amenities at the front desk and someone is here to assist you 24hrs. Our pool is heated all year round.

Reviewed September 20, 2010

We recently traveled to San Diego for my youngest son's Marine Corps graduation. I wanted to be near MCRD and within walking distance of restaurants. The Old Town La Quinta suited our needs and far more! Our stay was great! The staff was friendly and responsive, the rooms were clean and comfortable. and had new, flat screen TV's. There were shuttles to the airport and to graduation, and MCRD was a only a five minute walk from the front door. There were numerous great restaurants within walking distance as well. The hotel breakfast bar provided waffles, fresh fruit and pastries, cereal or oatmeal, coffee,milk and juices. There is a great pool and hot tub in the courtyard. La Quinta was absolutely the best bang for your buck in Old Town! Many thanks and compliments to Karina and her staff!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

We are a great fit for family and friends who come over to see their marine graduate, since we are only half a mile away. We are extremely happy you had a great experience. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2010

We have a large family and had two rooms for five days. The hotel is small but very clean and nice. The service is absolutely wonderful! No matter what time of day, the staff was always curteous and helpful. Any request we had was dealt with immediately. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Great hotel totally feels like it fits in San Diego. Close off the freeway and easy to get in and out. Staff really made me feel welcome. Nice rooms and comfy beds. Really close to Old Town you can walk to it. Fred's is really close by for a good bite to eat. Had a great time and will diffidently be back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo