La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Berkeley, California
“Cheated Again”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I've decided to start keeping track of all the hotels that cheat. They quote a rate, I ask for all other charges and I'm not including taxes here, and still, when you show up or check out there are extra charges that they insist are required.

I don't care if it's a big fraud or a little fraud, it's still a fraud. And this hotel cheated us, charged us for fees that they refused to reveal in advance. So I will not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank lookupatthesky
GMLQOT, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
We do not have any hidden fees. When guest check in we have them sign a registration card, the registration includes the room rate and fees, such parking and in room safe. Would you give me a call please? I would like to find out why you feel cheated. 619-291-9100 Karina Winkler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My stay at La Quinta Inns was great. I met up with some friends and we hung out and I was so pleased with the service we got. Nina was working on Saturday and I musta asked her a zillion questions....where's this??? where's that??? She was so helpful and always had a smile on her face and though I'm sure she gets asked those questions every day by every guest she never made me feel like I was bugging her and I think she made the stay extra special.

The gal that was working on Sunday, November 23 (I don't know her name) was also very very nice and I left feeling I wish everyone in service could be as good as they were.

Thank you Nina and gal I don't know your name for making our stay way more then pleasant and made me want to come back.

Elaine Hirsch
Huntington Beach, CA

Stayed November 2008
3 Thank princesselaine
GMLQOT, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
I am so thrilled to find out that our staff answered all your questions, especially Nina and Belsa. Guest service is our #1 priority. I’m sure that you and your friends had a blast in Old Town. Give me a call to book your next reservation. Always at your service; Karina Winkler
Smartypants1471
Reviewed November 25, 2008

We stayed at La Quinta Inn San Diego (Old Town) for three nights and had a very good experience. The hotel is practically across the street from the airport, but we could not hear it. We found everything to be in order, with particularly comfortable beds. The hotel is only a few easily walkable blocks from Old Town where we found good Mexican food and a fair number of goofy touristy shops. Complimentary breakfast was good. Overall, a positive stay for us.

• Liked — Comfortable bed and big room
  • Disliked — Our room got cleaned quite late in the afternoon each day
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Smartypants1471
GMLQOT, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport, responded to this review, March 26, 2009
Your right about our location! La Quinta Inn in Old Town is very centrally located. We are in walking distance to the Old Town Trolley Station, restaurants, museums, shops, and much more. Now we have complimentary Airport Shuttle as well. Our beds are super comfortable and we are glad that you had a good night sleep. Thank you for your review. Karina Winkler
Orange, California
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We booked this hotel because we had a great experience here last summer and they did not let us down. Friendly, helpful staff, great FREE breakfast, in-room coffee. Walk to Old Town, 2 miles from Sea World. Sparkling pool, immaculate room, comfortable bed. We will always stay here when we go to San Diego!

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Tiny parking spaces
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Island_Hopper2733
GMLQOT, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport, responded to this review, January 6, 2010
We are delighted to hear that you and your family have had wonderful experiences at our hotel for the past 2 summers! Please give me a call to help you book any future reservations. Karina Winkler
New York
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We got to the hotel in the evening and found it easily. It is right off the highway. The area is pretty isolated from the rest of the city being that it's very near the airport. The street that it's on is pretty dark and there are no mini-marts within walking distance. I don't think that it was dangerous, just an isolated street. I certainly wouldn't walk around as there's nothing really close to it that I can remember.

Reception was very friendly. We got to our room - it was in great shape was neat and clean - didn't look rundown. There was a slight musty smell at the writing desk - probably whatever rag they used to clean it. The rest of the room was okay.

The safe was not working so we had to hide any of our electronics when we went out for dinner.

This hotel is great if you need a place to stay for one night. It's very close to the airport so if you're arriving late and leaving the next day, it works out well.

Parking was not free but only cost $8 for the night.

The continental breakfast that was available in the morning was more than what I had expected. I was expecting to just see some cold muffins, some bread and stale coffee that's been standing around. Instead, there is a room with tables and chairs in it where you can sit down to eat. There is a waffle station where you make your own waffles using a special machine complete with a measuring cup for batter, breads, bagels (there's a toaster), danishes, muffins, coffee and tea.

You need to drive a small distance to get to some fast food places.

• Liked — Close to the airport, very clean, free wifi, parking under $10
  • Disliked — Location was isolated
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colmmoo
Old Town is a very safe place to walk around any time of the day. I wish we could have had better communication to better serve your needs and making sure the safe worked properly to avoid any inconvenience. We are glad you enjoyed our deluxe continental breakfast.
Orange County, California
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We have just returned from this hotel. We were there for July 4th weekend with 2 small kids. Location wise, this hotel is probably perfect. About 10 minutes walk to the Old Town restaurants and shops and the Trolley.

Hotel was ok. Room was as requested, 2 double beds. Clean, ok size for 4. Could have used a bit more space tho. Walls are paperthin. You can hear everything in rooms on either size especially the bathroom.

Breakfast was average hotel fare. We got enough to eat each day. The biggest problem was the dining area. It was really too small for the amount of people staying. You were lucky if you got a table. People were sitting out by the pool, even on the wall. The queues for the bagel toaster and waffle maker were ridiculous. One morning there was at least 15 waiting.

The pool is small and only has 4 loungers. Was fine the first day we got there, only us there, but busy after that. It was supposed to close at 10.30pm but doesnt. So people (mainly kids) were still in there until 12am or 1pm, even 3am one night.

We were on the ground level and were lucky I guess that we weren't around the pool. One room is 2 foot from the spa. If you go to this hotel, I would ask for 2nd or 3rd floor room or definitely one away from pool area.

Its not one that I will go back to quickly.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Kildare5
Bonn, Germany
Reviewed June 1, 2008

The "La Quinta Inn Old Town" offers a good value, if you are able to walk about 15 min. to public tarnsport. But them you can go to every Spot in the Area. They have a nice pool, mostly not very crowded, because many guests only stay for a stopover. Close to the bars and restaurants of "Old Town", the Hotel is ideal for a short walk to some good food and refreshing Margaritas. We recommend the "Alamo" and the "Old Town Saloon" for some drinks.
Nice, that they offer free breakfast, but this is a bit dissapointing, because they do not offer any Yoghurt or fruitsalad. If you stay more than two days, it's boring.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business