“swim club”

GreenLeadersGold level
san diego, california
“swim club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

this ancient hotel has a beautiful swimming pool, i joined the swim membership for 6 months. warm and inviting pool. they have interesting programs, we did "maria's wedding" there years ago. the staff is helpful and friendly and always working hard to maintain the premises. very reasonable too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ronan O, Front Desk Supervisor at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
We look forward to hosting you for the next 6 months, it is definitely the best time to consider joining our Swim Club which is available monthly, bi-annual as well as annually. Our website explains all of the details in depth and gives you information on all of the events we have at the Lafayette (Jazz Concerts, Finest City Improv, etc.). We do take great pride in the Weissmuller Pool as it is part of the Lafayette's San Diego Historical Places Resgistry (circa 2012), and maintain it meticulously. Thank you for taking the time to share your convictions, see you at the next pool party!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is the first time I have stayed at the Lafayette Hotel while visiting San Diego. It is centrally located to all the major freeways making it very easy to get to all of the major attractions and beaches.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Lafayette Hotel for your first visit to San Diego, we love the fact that we could be one of those initial memories. Being so centrally located it does give our guests a unique experience in that you are only 10-20 minutes away from all of San Diego's finest attractions (except the SD Zoo, they're only 5). Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach are definitely our suggestions in terms of nearby beaches, Belmont Park is wonderful if you are traveling with children as well. Hopefully you'll be able to plan another vacation out to San Diego to come visit us again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Poolside room was very affordable- I booked for the weekend, and was delighted to find that one of my favorite local music acts was playing the Pool Party that the hotel hosts on Sundays! The staff was very friendly and accommodating despite and the room was clean and nice.

• Stayed May 2014
Ronan O, Front Desk Supervisor at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
That is a great coincidence and I'm sure a very welcome Birthday present! Until Labor Day we will be having our Sunday pool parties, this year featuring one of two live bands (http://www.lafayettehotelsd.com/events/hotel-events.htm) in Rip Carson and Roy Rapid & the Rhythm Rock Trio from 1-5PM. Hopefully you will be able to come back and enjoy another show. Even if you are unable to stay with us that night you have the option to secure a daily pool pass at the front desk. Thank you for choosing the Lafayette to celebrate your 30th - please accept my belated Happy Birthday!
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

What an incredible hotel, from the maroon pylon sign, to the sweeping drive, to the green carpet entry steps, to the lobby with the photo of Bob Hope, so circa 1963 that I felt I should have been in the back seat of my Dad’s Metallic Green Delta 88 when we pulled up. Just beyond the lobby is the swim club with giant pool surround by two stories of cabanas, although they call them bungalows, with doors the width of them that open to the pool for the day - all ready for a magnificent photo opt, professional, mine, or yours.

When I first booked my room, from 2000 miles away, I was uneasy with the price, it was a little too low for comfort. However, when we got to our room it was a full blown two room suite, with modern furniture, two wide screen TVs, king size bed, and each room had double French doors opening to our own private terrace complete with lawn furniture and neon sign for the Red Fox Steakhouse & Piano Bar directly below us – red glow at night was straight out of a Raymond Chandler novel. No, we could not hear the piano in our room, although I kind of wish we could. When we checked out I was sure they would say we mistakenly gave you the wrong room and want double the price, which I would have paid, but they held to the same ridiculous price and seemed perplexed by my profuse thank you’s. Okay, the secret number to ask for is Room No. 242!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HelloJoeOne
It's true, we do have many talented musicians that frequent the Lafayette and make great use of our baby grand piano in the lobby or enjoy listening to the professionals at the Red Fox. Thank you for the thank you's as well, it was definitely our pleasure to have you stay with us! 242 is one of our signature Patio Suites that overlook the front facade of the hotel and are ideal if you're a people-watcher (it's actually a personal favorite). Although, just to clarify, the bungalows are on the side ends of the hotel and are two story town homes with full kitchens - just a short distance from the pool. Thank you for the great review, hopefully you will find yourself back in San Diego in the near future!
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is my third time staying here for the surf and turf gay flag football tournament. Excellent time! The staff are very welcoming. The only part I wasn't a big fan of is the cooler ban. I mean who really can drink just one 6pack per person on vacation? If they would have refrigerators in the room would have helped.

• Stayed April 2014
Ronan O, Front Desk Supervisor at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you very much for your continued loyalty staying with us for the San Diego Surf and Turf tournament. We really enjoyed hosting all the teams again this year and can't wait for next years tourney! In regards to the limitation on alcoholic beverages permitted, the policies are in place as a safety precaution for all of our guests. Our restaurant Hope 46 though does stock a full bar and is open to serve out by the pool as well as the Red Fox Room on property that is open until 2am (except Sundays - Midnight). We do have refrigerators upon request to be placed in rooms where they are not already included (Suze Suites and Bungalows) for a $10/night rental fee. Hopefully that addresses your concerns for next year, we certainly wish to have you all back at the Lafayette. Thanks again!
Rancho Cucamonga, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I reserved 2 suites for my party of six and was disappointed we couldn't raise the slightest wifi signal for our combined iPhones, iPads, and computers. Tried both the front desk and their recommended tech support but their best suggestion was to go down the breezeway to get a connection (wha...?). Then we endured a terrible night of rest (who makes these mattresses--a rock quarry?). But it was the constant drunken yelling and laughter until mid-morning that kept anyone from sleep. I complained 3 times to the front desk but with no results. That was a lot of good money for a terrible experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank weozze-2
Ronan O, Front Desk Supervisor at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Our apologies that you had all of these complications with your stay with us. Unfortunately I cannot offer an explanation on why your devices would not be connecting to our WiFi at that point and time, but I will pass on your concerns to our internet service provider to find a more acceptable resolution for future guests. All of our guest rooms are furnished with Serta's "Perfect Sleeper" mattresses. Our overnight front desk and security team is always very diligent when addressing noise issues, so I will have to follow up with them regarding our protocol in these instances. I sincerely apologize that this was not handled during your stay. Please feel free to contact me should you have any further comments or suggestions, and thank you for choosing the Lafayette.
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

My daughter and I went to visit other family in San Diego. This charming hotel which is close to their small apartment, was just perfect for our visit. It has the ambiance of decades ago - but is updated with modern conveniences. We found the hotel staff to be very friendly and accommodating. Our room was poolside - and we enjoyed the warmer part of some days lounging by the pool. Our room was comfortably spacious and very clean. We did not dine at the hotel, but had an appetizer and wine at the bar. I would definitely stay at this hotel again on future visits to San Diego.

Room Tip: The room we were initially assigned was too small for us - and too far from hotel lobby. The staff...