“My first boutique hotel and I love it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
Ranked #54 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“My first boutique hotel and I love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

The customer service in this hotel is excellent! I came around 7 pm to check-in and there was a short line. One of the guys (maybe he was the manager....I'm not sure) made sure that everyone of us could check-in in no time! He made sure that we were assisted right away.
When it was my turn, Amy (I think that was her name) offered an upgrade to a suite right next to the swimming pool (first floor) at no additional cost! Of course I was all for it!
Amy also mentioned that the body care products that they have are organic.
One thing that I would like to have added in the room though is a mini fridge.
But, my fiancee and I really enjoyed our staycation at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 467123Patty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Huntington Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I love the concept of historic or boutique hotels. But not when they have the same furniture & decor as they did 50 years ago. I was excited to have a rate of $209 to stay in the Penthouse. But when we got into the room, I realized why it was so cheap. It smelled AWFUL. There was a really heavy perfume/air freshener that was being used to cover up the smell of old age. The sectional sofa in the parlor of the Penthouse looked like it came from the Salvation Army or a garage sale. It was dusty & broken. The floor in the penthouse was also broken & uneven under the thin old carpet. The decor was really sparse. I wish I would have taken a photo of the barren shelves with a set of encyclopedias on them! The bathroom was clean but extremely dated. The bed was comfortable, but I was disappointed to see a large yellow stain on the comforter. I'm glad we only stayed one night in the Penthouse, I don think I could have taken another. As for the rest of the property- I didn't really look around much. The lobby was cute/funky & the pool looked peaceful. Good concept at the Lafayette, but not excited very well.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Miss_A_Bennett
Josh L, General Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club & Bungalows. I understand that your experience was not what you deserved as a Lafayette Hotel guest, please accept my sincere apologies. I have addressed your concerns with the proper hotel Management and Team Members to ensure we have a better plan of action in place for our deep cleaning and inspection processes. Recently, The Lafayette Hotel has made a tremendous investment back into the property which included the majority of guest rooms, public spaces, and restaurant. We have plans in place to improve the design and décor of the Penthouse Suites in 2014. If you would like additional information or if you would like to comment further, I will happily make myself available. Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club & Bungalows, we welcome the opportunity to create a perfect memory in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

LOVED staying here! The property is beautiful and gives such a great old school feeling. Such a fun place to stay! GREAT STAFF!!!! Everyone was so friendly and attentive to our needs! We stayed here for a weekend get away for my boyfriends birthday! The restaurant has a delicious menu, and great staff! The front desk employees are friendly and helpful. Just a great weekend and I can't wait to be back!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms!
Green Features: They are really green, you can tell they make extra efforts to go that extra mile to be green friendly hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I thought this hotel was great. It is full of character from the 50s and has an excellent restaurant linked to the hotel (which was imported from England). They play live jazz every night which was a bonus for a single traveller. The parking is in a secure basement garage which was also comforting. Nice open space in communal areas.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Not only is this hotel located in a great spot, it has the largest in ground pool in san diego county, there is always something going on and all the prices are very reasonable! They are very great with large group events and their pool parties on the weekends in the summer are always a ton of fun! The hotel is kept extremely clean and that includes the public bathrooms around the bar, restaurants and IMPROV show area which is hard to do but they do it! The rooms are large, cozy and comfortable with your not the common hotel feel. They truly try to take a step up to customer service and everyone on the staff is extremely helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone! Simply a true step above

Room Tip: If you do not like music and a lot of people talking on a saturday and sunday outside your room, do...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Lafayette Hotel. I have taken the time to share your comments with the appropriate team members and I cannot thank you enough. Your recommendations for the room types are completely accurate and I know that there will be much value found from other guests seeing your candid comments, who are also seeking to stay in the San Diego/North Park area. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, please reach out to me directly if I may assist with future reservations.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Every time I come here, I am always pleased. It has a great atmosphere and staff! It is like 1920's Hollywood meet modern! It is always a good time here! I definitely have had a lot of people stay here from my recommendation!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your positive and candid comments. I have shared your feedback with our hotel team and I cannot tell you how grateful they all are! This team works night and day to perfect the art of creating and executing lasting memories, we all love what we do. If I may be of assistance now or anytime in the future, please feel free to contact me directly. Thanks for the memories.
PARKER
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Wow! The Lafayette has undergone a transformation that throws the vibe into the era of Hollywood yesteryear! I used to live in this San Diego neighborhood, so I've seen the hotel go through some tough times. The is the best I've seen it in 25 years! I'll start with the staff--upon check-in I was greeted by the very friendly Amee. I told her I was in town to celebrate my birthday with friends, and asked if there might be an upgrade available. (Mind you, I had already booked a very reasonable internet rate.) With the approval of her equally nice supervisor Ronan, I spent my weekend in the Penthouse Suite! What a nice treat! Large and spacious, it is "old school glam" and while the furnishings and décor are simple, I felt like Hollywood royalty! The adorable bathroom even had a walk-in shower AND large soaking tub. I had one meal (breakfast) at Imig's Kitchen--both the food and service were excellent. The menu is "fun and funky" and the atmosphere matches. I'd call it "casual funk". And of course the The Red Fox Room steakhouse. A San Diego staple for many years, it still has consistently good service and food. I have been there many times over the last 30 years, and have yet to be disappointed. It "shares" a corner of the hotel, and is not to be missed. The lobby and conservatory areas of the hotel are appropriately decorated and very comfortable. The pool/courtyard...WOW...I can't say enough good things. Beautiful, well-furnished, relaxing. All in all, I'm ready to move into the Lafayette as a permanent resident! Value, location, staff, accommodations...The Lafayette Hotel is spot on!

Room Tip: From their location and awesome balcony/patios, I'd select a poolside rooms upon return.
Green Features: In addition to the usual notecard about having a choice of fresh towels or daily changed linens, my room even had a recycle container in addition to regular wastebasket. That impressed me. The hotel also uses motion-sensitive light switches. Well done Lafayette!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club & Bungalows! After closely reading your comments, I understand the hotel team exceeded your expectations at every touch-point. I have shared your specific comments with the team members you had mentioned, they were so grateful. It is through candid comments and suggestions such as yours that truly allows our team to grow and develop through positive reinforcement. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you have the need for future hotel accommodations. I appreciate you choosing the Lafayette Hotel, thanks for the memories.