“Amazing customer service”

The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
Ranked #64 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Best experience at an overnight stay yet. Room was immaculate, extremely clean, atmosphere was innately decorated with a old school aura. Due to a confusion at the post office we had to spend about 4 hours waiting in the lobby after we had already checked out, waiting on a package. While waiting for the USPS three members of management checked on us comped us drinks and even offered an appetizer. with out a doubt I will be back.

Room Tip: Only stayed in basic room but even that was nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Lots of character! Every where you turned there was charm...check-in was quick and easy! Our room was one of a kind, and a balcony out to the swimming pool! We ate at the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner and each time was delicious! Every staff member we met were nice and friendly. Definitely a place we'll stay next time we're in the San Diego area!

Room Tip: We like upstairs with a balcony!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hard to write this review as I've been a Chef at many beautiful and unique hotel locations and I understand the complications of running a full service hotel. Unfortunately, I don't believe the staff at this property does. There seems to be a huge lack of customer service for hotel guests. Our stay was exacerbating and frustrating! Cleaning was spotty and haphazard - at best - over our five day stay. Don't expect them to re-stock shampoo, towels, toilet paper or even replace sheets. We were without a top sheet two of the five days. Cockroaches??? We met the largest one we'd ever seen at this property. Pool is a total no-go unless you choose to be drunk and wild at around noon. "Management" is completely careless about guest requests. Including, but not limited to; room cleaning, requests for toilet paper, map to our room and inquiries about "quiet hours". I felt like an old "ruddy duddy" because at 36, I appreciate a night away with my wife and don't care for drunken ruckus outside my hotel room door. I really think this could be an amazing property with better "vision", and if in the future I plan a wild bachelors party - I may return. Otherwise, not!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Byron M
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel BUT only for young twenties. They open the pool for $10.00 to anyone for the day. Several hundreds of young folks come in for the day to drink and party. Plus a live band so even with our room doors closed the room vibrated all day. The pool party does end at 5:00 but many of the young kids stay the night. So the partying moves over to the rooms. If you love to party then this is the place for you.
The staff was wonderful and very gracious to let us check out without a penalty. We stayed 2 nights out of the 4 planned. We found a more suitable hotel for our age (55 - 73)

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank hhi2
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Layfayette, the room was clean, the staff were friendly, service was very good. Check in/out was a breeze. The beds were comfortable. Both restaurants on site have excellent food. The pool is great! It's close to many attractions.

Room Tip: If traveling with family, opt for the Suze Suite, great value, the kids get their own room with bunk...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Really hard to rate this place. It's so unique that liking it would depend upon what you are looking for in a hotel.
For starters, I usually only stay at 4* hotels. The only reason I chose this hotel is because I was visiting my son who lives walking distance from there.
I believe this is what you would expect from a 3*. The rooms were very clean and decent which is very important to me. They were recently renovated. Everything was standard (not the usual granite/marble and upgraded fixtures I am used to).
This is a party hotel. On Sunday afternoon there is live music and the pool is packed with youngsters drinking, partying, and having a blast. I really enjoyed it ; however, it is not for everyone in the middle age group.
I found the lobby to be soooooo interesting and lovely to sit in even though I spent little time there.
The staff was very, very nice and accommodating.
Wasn't crazy about housekeeping. One day housekeeping never came. When I called the desk they said they would send someone right over (again, accommodating) although since it was so late I didn't want anyone cleaning and just requested towels. The rooms were not cleaned in the way I am accustomed to. (ie empty used cups not removed...just left on dresser making it look a little sloppy/nothing was organized).
I didn't love my bed. Although the linens were white and fresh and clean, the pillows were big and bulky and not to my liking and the bed wasn't that deliciously comfortable. However, it certainly did not interfere with my ability to have a good night sleep and I was there 5 nights.
I didn't spend much time looking at anything else and am not sure of pricing. At a cursory glance it looked like I could have stayed in a 4* on the bay for a similar price which is what I was initially considering. If not for wanting to be right next to my son, that's what I would have done. With that in consideration, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a room with french doors leading out to the pool. Loooooved it. Loved the live music. I'...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mbaker04
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Very good value. Great pool area with both shade and sun areas. secured off street parking. Great steak house at hotel. Or just a mile away is the VERY GOOD GREAT MAPLE restaurant. Don't miss this gem.

Room Tip: Note: there are both pool side/view rooms or street view rooms. So if you are a pool person, ask for...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo