“Enjoyable non-chain option”

The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
Ranked #62 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here for three days in February. If you're expecting high end, you will be disappointed. But look beyond the expectations of typical chain hotel atmosphere, and you will find an affordable, charming hotel at a reasonable price with many options. The grounds are relaxing, the rooms are all you need (do you spend all day in the room?), and the restaurants offer plenty of options. Or, you are within 5 minutes of some great neighborhoods, eateries, coffee shops, etc. This is definitely worth a second look and serious consideration.

RD

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RCD1313

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I save 5 circles for exceptional, but this was the perfect place for my visit to my brother. It was within walking distance of his home and convenient to lots of interesting places. I highly recommend this for anyone - well, not so sure about families, since I didn't see any children. I didn't get to enjoy the pool since the weather didn't cooperate and since the primary reason for my visit was to spend time with my brother. I really wanted to have a drink at Imig's but never had the chance. Too many other wonderful things to do. Next time. One caveat, use the hotel to get a cab. See my review of greenride.net as a warning to you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EBapps
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a special deal on a one-night weekend stay at the Lafayette. We had been to the lovely "old-school" Red Fox Lounge next door several times and wanted to see if the hotel matched the character of the restaurant. The room was a good size for an older hotel and there were reminders of it's old Hollywood connections everywhere. The Olympic-size pool is a big draw, and although it was too cool in November for us to venture in, others were enjoying a swim while we basked in the sun. Great service, too!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikeywaz
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Would love to have stayed longer. When ever possible we try to stay away from the chain hotels, so started looking for non-chain close to the airport for a one night stay. Looked good on the internet, decided to give it a try couldn't go wrong for one night. We were very pleased with everything from the check-in to the check out. Everyone was friendly and very helpful. We stayed in poolside (upstairs) which had been newly renovated and could not have asked for more. The hotel has an "the way it used to be feel" which was very much appreciated. The pool is BIG and has a rocking porch overlooking. One of the most comfortable beds I have slept in a hotel. Was nice to be able to take a walk around a neighborhood instead of a parking lot. Had dinner and breakfast at Imig's Kitchen & Bar, both meals were very good. The hotel is 4.4 miles from the airport and it took us 10 min in am traffic to get there.

Will be our go to place when in San Diego in the future.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ldianne
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We loved this place! Booked 1 night, decided to stay 2. Andie and Marti and all the staff at Imig's were super friendly and the food was great! We loved the fresh halibut served over crispy spinach so much we asked them to call us the next time it's on the menu, can't wait!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed one night at Lafayette. We loved the old style charm the hotel had. Our room seemed to be newly renovated. Really neat wallpaper behind the bed. Everyone was super friendly and made us feel at home. The hotel seemed to have a "haunted mansion" feel, but it made for a fun time! Planning on staying again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hayley G
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I would not recommend Layfette Hotel to anyone. Staff was very rude and unprofessional. I will never stay here again and was a waste of money. We stayed in a 2 beroom bungalow that was run down looking and nothing like the website pictures. I did like the pool area at night. I could go on but will run out of room!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the 2 bedroom bungalow #1!!!! The pool side rooms nice from the outside.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tami b
Drew H, Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Hello Tami-
First of all let me apologize for not replying sooner, I have only been at the property for a little over a week. I am disappointed that our vintage bungalow did not meet your expectation. Each our bungalows have been restored to its former glory, keeping many of the historic and traditional features from when they were built.
If you have any further comments or feedback about the staff, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at drew@lafayettehotelsd.com