“Wonderful Hotel - You'll Love It.”

The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
Ranked #63 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Wonderful Hotel - You'll Love It.”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Lafayette is in a class of it's own. It's a beautiful, classic, hotel, with an interesting history and friendly staff. A wonderful place for both family and business travelers. We stayed in a two room, two bath Suze suite and loved it. The Olympic size pool is outstanding. Location is terrific. Very nice neighborhood,with good restaurants and only about 5 minutes by car to the Maritime Museum, Balboa Park, Zoo, Old Town and airport, 10 minutes to Coronado Is., Mission Beach and Convention Center. Forget the run of the mill hotels and stay at a place you'll always remember. As a world business traveler I have stayed at some of the most expensive hotels, and I must say that this is on the top of my list. On our next trip to San Diego, we'll be staying at the Lafayette !!.

Kurt B - Flagstaff, AZ

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Suze Suite for families. For business travelers or couples, the rooms overlooki...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My family and I choose San Diego for our summer vaca. We rented the suite with bunk beds for our daugther (too cute!). There isnt a concierge but the front desk agent was sooo helpful. I loved the charming hotel lobby. We stood for 4 nights- housekeeping did a wonderful job. The pictures do not do justice for this hotel. Next time were thinking of renting one of the bungalow's that have a kitchen to save us money on eating out. Defin recommend to family's looking for a great hotel to stay at. Loved the pool. :)

Room Tip: Suite with BunkBeds are good it it's a short period stay. Fr longer stays look into the bungalow...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I travel a lot for business and I have had my share of bad experiences. I usually find myself going to my meeting and coming back to the hotel room to sleep without using any of amenities. However this time upon check in I heard the front desk talking to other guests about what the hotel has to offer. Front desk was nice enough to give me a breif history of the hotel and told me I should really go take a look at the hotel. I was so suprised how big and clean the rooms were. After getting settled in I decided to take a tour around the hotel and I was really fasinated with the history and detail in this hotel. I had no trouble getting internet access and this is a huge plus when I work from my laptop. Hopefully I get sent back to San Diego soon..

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the pool...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My visit to San Diego was enhanced by the Lafayette Hotel. The accomadations were great and the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms and lobby bring back the hotel's history and charm having been a popular resort for Hollywood personalities and wealthy Americans during the 20's and 30's. The pool is spectacular. Large and a challenging lap pool for those who want to really get some exercise. You can imagine the rich and famous lounging by the pool with Mai Tai's and Martini's.
Transportation is very easy as the location is simply a taxi or short bus ride to downtown San Diego, Balboa Park and the Airport.
I will visit again and enjoy the stay...I hope you do too!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Eric M
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My brother and I came to San Diego due to our Moms illness, So coming from Boston, there was a lot of stress involved. By chance I found this hotel on line..so happy I did! I looked forward to going back at the end of a very emotional day to TTF this great hotel..the rooms were Beautiful..clean and comfy! The staff was terrific! And the price was good, if you complained about this place...you must find something to complain about with everything!! Going back to see my mom in January and I am definitely staying there again!!

Room Tip: I moved to a balcony pool side room! So quiet and relaxing to sit out there at note and the room wa...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank donnamck555
Midland
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Would recommend this place in a heartbeat! My sister and I drive to San Diego for a last minute weekend trip to see the zoo! The hotel staff were wonderful, the hotel was clean and full of Style and atmosphere. There was underground parking included, free wifi and a list of addresses to local beaches, restaurants and grocery stores. The location was great and everyone was accommodated. The rooms were recently remodeled and roomy and CLEAN! The morning we went to the zoo we caught brunch in Imig's, the diner downstairs, and the staff and food were awesome! It was a great relaxing stay for a quick getaway! The price was AWESOME too!

• Stayed November 2012
Redlands, California
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here for my birthday and it was a lovely hotel. It had been renovated and the rooms are huge and ours was just a regular room so the suites are probably really nice! First of all, very nice parking lot below and no charge for guests. Walking into the hotel lobby, you feel like you have gone back to old Hollywood 75+ years ago but of course it is completely updated, smells nice, lots of seating in lobby and the guest check-in was quick. Each of the rooms have a name of them of an actress or actor. They say Bob Hope was the very first person to sign the register when they opened in the 40's. One think I liked was they had a large screen tv in the room and it was during the Olympics in England so it was nice to come back and watch them in full vivid color. I would recommend this hotel and if we had time, we would have gone swimming as it is out of the 40's with cabanas, live music and wood chaise lounges. Just a great experience and we found a 2 day package on-line for half price. Convenient to go to the SD Zoo and Old Town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
miami001, General Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. This warms our heart - especially after our recent makeover of the hotel.