“Walk into a Hollywood Hotel of the 40's and Enjoy”

The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
Ranked #60 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here for my birthday and it was a lovely hotel. It had been renovated and the rooms are huge and ours was just a regular room so the suites are probably really nice! First of all, very nice parking lot below and no charge for guests. Walking into the hotel lobby, you feel like you have gone back to old Hollywood 75+ years ago but of course it is completely updated, smells nice, lots of seating in lobby and the guest check-in was quick. Each of the rooms have a name of them of an actress or actor. They say Bob Hope was the very first person to sign the register when they opened in the 40's. One think I liked was they had a large screen tv in the room and it was during the Olympics in England so it was nice to come back and watch them in full vivid color. I would recommend this hotel and if we had time, we would have gone swimming as it is out of the 40's with cabanas, live music and wood chaise lounges. Just a great experience and we found a 2 day package on-line for half price. Convenient to go to the SD Zoo and Old Town.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
miami001, General Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. This warms our heart - especially after our recent makeover of the hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is a gem in the midst of motel sprawl. Hip and stylish with a sense of humor. The hotel maintains it's history with 1940's touches - deco lobby, b&w photos, even a Boom Boom Room! The front desk is uber friendly and efficient. This is a a cute boutique hotel with kitschy period decor . The beds are comfy with crisp white sheets , bathroom big and clean with good toiletries, free Internet and parking - hip neighborhood. The lobby is large, with a grand piano and speakeasy banquettes. There are surrounding courtyards, and a beautiful pool. This is the ONLY place to stay in San Diego. Love this place !!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jayne T
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very friendly staff! Food was great! Really enjoy seeing an old Hotel being brought back to such a beautiful place! Sorry we missed the movie pool side, I was looking forward to that. The pictures and stories of the early years make the experience even more enjoyable. Thanks for a great stay.

1  Thank KCJ1983
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I had great hopes for the Lafayette based on TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed there two nights. The room was very large. The beds were pillowtops, but not very supportive. The bathroom was clean and large. The room was quiet. I did not appreciate that we came home from a day of sightseeing at 4pm to discover that no one cleaned our room. I called to the front desk and they sent someone up. However, by that time, I had to get ready for an event so she was only able to change the sheets. Upon checkout, I was asked how I liked my stay. When I mentioned this, they said that their staff had to turn over 100 rooms that day. This surprised me. Isn't this a hotel? Isn't this what they do every day? I did not try the pool, but it did look nice, as did the lobby area. There is no concierge and the front desk lady was unwilling to help us find restaurants. Instead, she handed us a preprinted sheet. I've had better experiences.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJ B
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel is absolutly fabulous!! we enjoyed every day that we stayed there!
Its very clean and smells very good!
The housekeepers are very nice.
The meals are delicious. The waitresses are amazing!!
The location of this hotel is just perfect for guests, walking distance to restaurants.
Very close to shopping, like the mall and groceries and entertainment locations.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I needed a central location and a close restaurant (in house) for a business trip to San Diego. What I received in the Lafayette was a great deal, great restaurant, pool and atmosphere that helped my trip turn out relaxing and so incredibly enjoyable! The decor is classic old Hollywood and the rooms perfectly sized. The staff appeared so happy-smiling and greeting me always. I saw a ballroom-the Mississippi -downstairs and it is where I will be booking my company Christmas party. The whole place is full of little 'discoveries' to find..details..courtyards, giant chess set, pool, outdoor spots, indoor spots..little surprises that kept my stay delightful. I am completely in love with this place! What a great find indeed! Eat at the Imig's restaurant and you will never want to leave...comfort food with zing. It's crazy-good!

Room Tip: Get a pool-facing room if you want to really enjoy the atmosphere to the fullest!
1  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The last time I stayed here I had a horrible experience because they were in the process of renovating their rooms but they have definitely redeemed themselves.

I stayed in the Presidential Suite for 1 night and my boyfriend and I did not want to leave at check out. The room is HUGE! Easily the size of a 1 bedroom apartment. The bed is a CA King I think and there is a separate shower/tub which is cool. Plenty of closet space and seating. The living room portion has 2 comfortable couches and its really spacious.

You're able to open all the windows which is a plus because the room was really hot and stuffy when we got there like it hadn't been ventilated in awhile.

I'm really pleased with the renovation of the rooms and will be booking here again.

Room Tip: Live music Friday nights between 6 and 8, not sure if this is only during the summer.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nicoledenise
miami001, General Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you nicoledenise. We are glad you visited us again and look forward to your future stays. We currently have Live Music every Friday evening from 6:00pm-8:00pm as well as a live Jazz Trio Neo from 5:30-7:30pm Thursday's. Enjoy!