“Over priced”

The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
Ranked #64 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I payed 170$ for a hotel right in El cajon which is not the best and safest area. Over priced I believed. Overall though I must say the entire experience was great and rooms are very clean. Staff was great and I liked how there was security that was easily found.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I came into the hotel with a deadline problem I came in contact with during my stay at the Lafayette hotel. I immediately went to the front counter in the lobby and asked the hotel staff at the moment whose name was Melissa if should could assisit me with my problem. With a smile she did'nt hesitate to say she had the tools needed to help me and within a few minutes my problem was resolved. Even though it could be looked at as a simple task Melissa professionalism was very impressive. I would recommend anyone to stay at the Lafayette hotel just base on her service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Marisa F, Director of Sales at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for your review! We are so glad we were able to assist you with your needs. I will be sure to pass your positive comments along to Melissa, as I know she will appreciate them. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Lafayette 4 to 18 July, whilst visiting my son who was on a placement in San Diego. I found the hotel on the internet and did had mixed views after booking due to some of the reviews. However, the hotel was a fantastic place to stay and such a sense of history. We stayed in room 519 at the poolside and it was spacious and well furnished and the housekeeper kept it spotlessly clean. The public areas of the main building were spacious with lovely seating areas. There was a PC in the lobby for public use and giant draughts and chess boards outside. The poolside restaurant served fabulous meals - we had breakfast there on a number of days and Adam was the perfect waiter and looked after us well. It was also great to be able to sit on the balcony and eat whilst overlooking the pool. The pool is magnificent and was designed by Johnnie Weismuller and I was able to swim 70 lengths in it each day, often early in the morning so the pool parties did not affect me. The parties finished by 6pm each day (usually held over the weekends) and didn't affect us as we went out most days. The hotel provided complimentary tea and coffee all day long (until 10pm in the evening) and iced water was available at the poolside. The hotel was in a great location although not too many tourist attractions close by; however, this did not detract from its appeal and it was easy to get to all the attractions in San Diego (we hired a car). The hotel staff were always friendly and helpful and I will definitely say there again when visiting San Diego.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are well furnished and spacious
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LynSouthport
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Lafayette Hotel. My daughter and I stayed there while we spent a couple days enjoying the San Diego amusement parks. It's a short drive to Sea World and extremely close to the zoo, and about a 40 minute drive to the Safari Park. The lobby of the hotel is comfy and inviting with lots of seating, fun decor and an enticing aroma of lemon and sage (I think). The pool (designed by Johnny Weismuller) is located just beyond the lobby and is furnished with plenty of lounge chairs. You can also sit on the deck of the bar/restaurant and enjoy a drink or snack while taking in the view of the pool. We stayed in the middle of the week and didn't have any issues with noise or pool parties, though there were lots of families staying there. We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast at the restaurant. I highly recommend the huevos rancheros which came with pork and chile verde, eggs sunny side up, sitting on a crispy corn tortilla stuffed with melted Oaxacan cheese, served with delicious chorizo infused beans. My daughter loved the Grandmar's french toast made with brioche bread, grand mariner, cinnamon, maple butter and served with a boysenberry sauce. If I lived in the San Diego area I would definitely make a point to come here for breakfast on a regular basis. The only downside of the restaurant was that they seemed to be understaffed when we were there, thus the service was slow, though very friendly. The room we stayed in was perfect for the two of us. The beds were comfy and clean and were great for a good night's sleep. The bathroom was on the small side but clean, and the towels were thick and plentiful. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a day-time napper I would recommend asking for a room that does not face the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at the Lafayette in San Diego because it was listed in SunSet Magazine as a great place. It was a nightmare. You could not use the pool from 1:00- 5:00 p.m. because they had open pool parties to the public. All the young families with children staying there and my grandchildren had to get out of the pool because of all the party people and drinking and loud D.J. music . Also the totally inappropriate behaveior of the party people bumping an grinding on each other in front of the children and the make-out scences going on in the chaise lounges. We paid to be there and to use the pool but could never use it because of the open pool party!! Also, I was charged for two rooms when we only had one and it took me a week of talking to 5 different people to convinence them we only had one room!!. Then almost a month later I see a credit card bill from the hotel and called my bank for fraud and the hotel said I upgraded my room and they were charging me for an upgrade I never had a month later!!! The elevators never worked and when they did you were forced to wait everytime the maid had her cart, the maid would tell us wait for the next one and move her cart in front of us and take it. We also had the fire alarm go off and on one night 4 times. It was the worst stay of our week vacation!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Roberta M
miami001, General Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

I sincerely apologize for our shortcomings during your recent stay at the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club and Bungalows. We respectfully submit the following to you and other prospective guests: 1) We adhere to strict industry best practices for credit card billing procedures. Incidents are rare. 2) It has been a long standing tradition for San Diegans to visit the Weissmuller Pool. We continue this tradition by sharing our pool with well-behaved local patrons from 1:00-5:30 each day. We are popular on some days, others not so much. We invite hotel guests to take advantage of our reserved chaise lounge chairs during these hours. Warning: while public displays of affection are strictly policed, some parents may not be comfortable with the drinking during this time frame. For those, we encourage you to take advantage of our family swim hours before noon and after 5:30pm each day. 3) Yes our lone vintage elevator does require some patience….and for that we thank you.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Safe and comfortable: A warm staff who ensured we felt welcome. The weekend 12- 6 ish is crazy if you are looking to hang around a quiet pool forget it. We were able to venture out while the kids of San Diego took over the pool area. Upon our return it was if they were never there. For the money it was a homerun.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
1  Thank ravellim
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I booked a room for the weekend here for my boyfriend's birthday. We invited about 20 friends to come down and hang out at the pool with us on Saturday. After I booked the room, the hotel booked an event at the pool for that Saturday; the admission was $10/person. We didn't find out about the admission until that Saturday when our friends started showing up telling us that they were charged to enter.
Katlin, who was in charge of the event, was the best! She came over, talked to us, apologized for any inconvenience, gave us free wristbands for our guests and the day was awesome!
Melissa at the front desk was super helpful and great! We loved our visit and would definitely go again! Thank you to the Staff of The Lafayette!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple