“Nick and Dime you all the way”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #194 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
baltimore
“Nick and Dime you all the way”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I stayed at the town and country for a conference in March 2010. First let me say this hotel is way over priced. They charge 149/night with a discount. The hotel is located fairly close to the airport and does have easy access to the trolly so getting around is easy. I would say that is the only good thing about this place. The hotel has extra charges for everything. The use of their little gym (not many pieces of equipment and gets very hot) was 10/day, parking was $14/day, and internet access costs $9.95/day, and finally a tiny bottle of water in room was $1. The should each be free with price tag on the room and all the hotels in the hotel circle area provide these things. I would have changed to one of these hotels but I was on company time and orders so I had to go where they provided me a room. The room I had got very warm at night and had no window to open and no air conditioning. My final day I had to be at the airport early and took a shower with no hot water. This place was horrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Very old and outdated!

2 Thank nnjrunner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Polish first
Sacramento
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Once again, we were not disappointed with our stay at the Town and Country Hotel. Everywhere we went, the staff and other guests were smiling and in a great mood! When you're traveling through the hustle and bustle of airports, car rentals, and crowds, the hotel staff is welcome change! You are never left to feel like you're waiting and waiting to be served.

The breakfast meals are hot and the staff frequently stops at your table to refill coffee and ask if they can serve you. The gardens this time of year are absolutely beautiful!!! Walkways are clear accessible to everyone and there are pathways for pleasant strolls in every direction. Restaurants and a fabulous mall are within easy walking distance from a pathway from the hotel and we've heard the golfing is always exceptional.

No matter where we went, guests and staff were cheerful and checking in and out was efficient. To companies looking for places to hold staff meetings or conferences, we highly recommend this location!!! We look forward to our next visit.

Orlando
Reviewed March 25, 2010

This hotel is just okay. The absolutey flowers are breathtaking. My room faced the pool which meant heavy traffic--at al hours. If someone was whispering outside I could hear it. The staff was not the most cordial that I have ever encountered. When I checked in the women gave me my key--no map nor did she explain how to get to my room at this very large complex. Internet is 10 bucks a day...ouch!

On a more positive note I found the main restaurant to be quite nice and there are lots of things to choose from as far as cafes and such on property.

My company paid for the room but I woud not come back if I was paying on my own.

DC
Reviewed March 15, 2010

This place was just ok. Very overpriced. I stayed here for 9 days. My room was $147/night at the conference rate, but the TV was super small (25") and there was no fridge in the room. This place nickels and dimes you for everything ($10/night for internet, $5/day for parking, etc). This place is on Hotel Circle, so there are lots of other similarly priced options, including a Crown Plaza that apparently was much nicer.

That said, we had a waitress at this on location restaurant called the Trellises. Her name was Angelica and she was awesome. She was very professional and was actually the highlight of my trip. If her supervisor reads these reviews I recommend she get a raise, because having her wait on us for breakfast was a good way to start the day.

saint petersburg, florida
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I stayed at the Town and Country for seven days during a conference that was being held there. Before I left for my trip several colleagues mentioned that it may be best to look elsewhere for accommodations, but I decided for the convenience aspect, I'd keep my reservation. Big mistake.

My (first) room was in the Regency Tower. Stepping off the elevator at my floor I noticed the smell of urine (!!) and walked past fresh gum on the carpet which also looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in a week. The decor was awful - who's idea is it to add blue carpet, a scary picture of a little girl on the wall (this picture was also in my second room in the Royal Palm tower) and curtains that date back to the 70's? After one night in this room I requested a move to the Royal Palm Tower, similar decor but a step up nonetheless.

I thought about switching to one of the other hotels in the circle (there are MANY other options), but was told that it I would be charged $50-75 PER NIGHT of my unused stay if I wished to cancel. This made no sense especially since the hotel was at capacity and was even turning folks away due to lack of roms. I've never been at a hotel that enacted such a policy. Ridiculous.

Be aware that this is 'nickel and dime' CENTRAL! Everything is extra so be prepared to pay for the gym ($8-10/day - only open until 8pm and the air was stagnant, no A/C or fans) and to use the internet ($9.95-12.95 per day).

Several of the front desk staff were incredibly rude (When asked about internet my companion was told - 'Please wait until I'm finished and I'll answer your question'). I frequented the Terrace Cafe for breakfast and lunch and several times sat for 10 or more minutes before anyone came by to take my order or refill my drink. To avoid this, I would stop next door at the Deli to grab a Starbucks-type coffee and each morning the line was so long that it would take 15-30 minutes of standing in line to get a drink. (I blame the management for this one since they only had 1 staff behind the counter between 7am and 11am).

If I were ever in the area again, I would stay at the Courtyard Marriott where the rooms were cheaper, the gym was free, there was hot complimentary breakfast, and you received $20 in coupons per day good for any food/drink at the hotel - and it's only a 5 minute walk to the Town and Country. A colleague of mine stayed there and was very pleased with his accommodations.

Overall, this hotel would get a 2 out of 10 stars.

1 Thank traveler21fl
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I stayed at the Town and Country for 3 nights for a convention that was held at the hotel.

While the grounds and landscaping are absolutely lovely and well maintained, the resort is sprawling and does, indeed, have a 1950s feel to it.

On the plus side, the convention center had nice facilities for the exhibition, including lots of restrooms (not always a given). The hall was well lit and ventilated.

The main pool was heated and the jacuzzi was very large and worked well. I do wish parents would not dump their young kids off at the jacuzzi.

Town and Country sits on Hotel Circle, and is very convenient to San Diego, the trolley line, a large mall, and Old Town San Diego.

I don't mind paying $170/night for a room. I DO, however, mind being nickel and dimed for every extra cost, including: $14/day for parking; $10/day for internet access; $8/day to use the fitness center (and I'm pretty sure that was a discounted rate because I was there with a convention); and 95 cents to use my calling card from the room. There are so many other hotels on Hotel Circle where I could have gotten all of these amenitities for free and at a lower rate per evening. And I could have gotten a free breakfast.

The room itself was very clean. The bathroom was tiny, and not particularly well lit. As a female traveler, I absolutely hate outdoor access to rooms (as best as I could tell, none of the rooms had controlled access through a security door or indoor corridors). The balcony was OK, and fairly private (I could not see either of my neighbors, which was nice). However, I did see some rooms at the ends of the corridors where their balcony stared straight out to a brick wall. Just a weird configuration. No flat screen TV, either. How is that possible in California?

I ate two dinners at Charlie's, the sports bar. The food was OK, but way overpriced ($11 for a hamburger?). The service here was somewhat surly.

The landscaping and cleaning staff all seemed to go out of their way to make me feel welcome. One of the cleaning crew even hustled over to open a door for me when I was lugging a carton into the convention center. Otherwise, the service was unimpressive.

I would not recommend this place for the business traveler, especially if you are only staying one night, since the grounds are so massive, it takes forever to get a feel for the lay of the land. I saw one guy wandering aimlessly at 6:00 a.m. looking for the registration desk to check out while I was on my way to the gym. I finally was able to catch up to him and help him with directions. There are too many other business hotels (Courtyard, Residence Inn) on Hotel Circle to pick this place.

Even for a resort destination, you can do better. I had some free time Monday morning and was hoping to use the spa. No dice. The spa is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

And how in the 21st century, can the fitness center not have any ellipticals? Fortunately, the bike and stair master that I used worked well. The weight equipment was also in good shape.

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed March 9, 2010

This hotel has some good features, but beware depending upon your expectations. The good features are: fantastic location near mall, train line, freeways to get to all parts of the city. Also good are the incredible landscaping and outdoor settings with pools, patios, trees, foliage, and beautiful scenery on the property. The beds are fantastic -- some of the best sleep of my travels. The bad is that it looks like its best days were in the Frank Sinatra era. Also, the showerheads in the bathroom are at chin level for short people (I was contorted to wash my hair and I'm not tall), and the walls are so thin you can hear every activity of your neighbors. Worse are that the TVs and cable reception are from the 50s too. Finally, we found the service atrocious. They seem to have lots of people about in front desk, bellhop, restaurants, but they don't seem to be intent upon service. I would only recommend this hotel if you are wanting a gorgeous location but don't care about quick service or idiosyncrasies of an older property. I'm recommending this as "no" overall, but it might be good for families or those who have different expectations.