“Run for the hills! This place is horrible!”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #175 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 12, 2006

I have to say that I must agree with the terrible reviews of this place. It has got to be one of THE worst "hotels" I have ever had the displeasure of staying. Out of no choice of my own, our school district booked it for a conference that I was attending in July. (The conference hall, which is part of the Town and Country, is a step up from the rest of the hotel).

I'll begin with the total disorganization in the lobby during check-in... Granted, there were a zillion teachers and other guests swarmed in the lobby, but one would think that by now management would have implemented some sort of organized procedure for handling guests at such high volumes. No one seemed to know what was going on and the times we were told our rooms would be ready varied from one staff person to another.

As we trekked through the overgrown jungle-like walkways to get to a restaurant for breakfast, we landed upon a low-class version of a cafe. It looked like some sort of side of the highway Jerry's Restaurant from the 1960s. After standing in a line that went out the door, we were seated at separate tables (not a big deal, since there were 9 of us). However, after waiting forever I was hoping for a meal that was at least somewhat palatable. I'm not sure how you go wrong with a cheese omlet and potatoes, but they managed to. The potatoes were charred and the omlet was grey - everything tasted like a piece of charcoal! Yuck!! After two bites, I paid my twelve dollars and easily convinced the rest of our group never to dine here again. I've never paid so much for such a disgusting meal.

Several hours later we had a room. With all of the money that they get from ripping people off, I don't see how they can't afford to update the place. The rooms were dark, dirty, old, and just plain old creepy. They have this bizarre old Victorian thing going on as their decor. The bathrooms have peeling wall paper and the shower doesn't seem to have been scrubbed since they built the hotel. There were special hairs in my bed and on a few "clean" towels. Yes, the special kind that you keep down under. The toilet backed up even after having someone come in and "fix" it. The walls are paper thin. We could hear our neighbors brushing their teeth and unfortunately for us, we got to smell their cigarette smoke all night and morning while in the room. Haven't they heard of separating smoking floors from non-smoking floors??? I've read several reviews about the beautiful grounds and pools. Not true... Unless you consider gardens littered in trash and worn down pools littered with seedy characters everywhere beautiful.

This "hotel" couldn't have gotten things more wrong. They need to shut down and renovate every inch of this property. Perhaps back in the 1950s or 60s this place was of resort quality, but it has since been flushed to sewer quality. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. There are by far nicer hotels to enjoy while staying in San Diego. The only plus to this experience was that I didn't have to pay for my stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank vacationhereIcome
Write a ReviewReviews (3,739)

Reviewed August 28, 2006

I attended a conference at the Town and Country and thought this hotel was fine. My only negative experience was that I had to wait a half and hour for my room even though I arrived at 4:30. Much of this property dates from the `60s but it seemed very well maintained to me and my room was very nicely furnished. I liked the landscaping, my very large balcony and the overall atmosphere. I should say that had I driven I would not have been very happy with the charge for parking -- that's something I'd only expect to see from a hotel downtown. It does seem to be geared primarily to business people on expense accounts. I would have preferred something downtown but that's just a 15 minute trip using the adjacent trolley station. If you bring your car I suppose that it's located somewhat close to several San Diego tourist attractions.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank John D.M.
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We booked on Priceline and I was very suprised and concerned that we would get a non-brand name hotel. But despite calling Priceline, they would not cancel it.

When we arrived, it was just fine. We had a tower room. Clean, good size, two sinks, well designed bathroom. We also had a great view of the two pools which we enjoyed later.

Did not spend much time on the grounds, but overall, they were fine.

I was ready to write a negative review, but really can't. The place worked out fine for us. Very convenient to San Diego downtown, Seaworld, affordable restaurants, La Jolla.

We were traveling with two kids, grandma, etc.

I guess my only nits would be that the rooms could be better insulated for noice, but that could happen anywhere. The other would be the charge for parking.

Overall, a nice stay.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank newyorker88
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Stayed aug 13-17. 2006 Never again. Traveled with my husband & 8 yrs son. got elevator which got stuck, firedept all night, 700 teenagers, no cable changed room next night after a long day at sea world to a room with NO BED!! No cable. changed rooms again next day Hotel room had power cut off I was on the 8th floor with No elec, no elevator. mainteance guy told me the hotel knew! they were renovating. I wish someone told my family. fighting to get 1/2 my money back for 1/2 my vacation moving from room to room. poor front desk personal their manager ran out right when things got bad seen her with my own eyes just left them. managers name Brittney. so sad. so unprofessional. I will be writting the owner, he should know. If you want a hotel go else where this is a 1960's motel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank ricky1
Reviewed August 11, 2006

Your first look at this hotel will be a worn lobby that has been out of style for quite a while. The furniture is worn and the walls have scratches. I must say that they do have nice pools if you like to swim but the rooms need to be redone. If you like to swim this is the place but if not pass and look for something that is newer and it better shape.

3  Thank timsilver
Reviewed August 8, 2006

After staying in SD several times over the years at nice hotels, a friend convinced me to try this place. Going to SD for a convention and work, I booked their nicest room on the web site three weeks ahead, and confirmed it a week before on the phone.

My work has me traveling the world 100-200 days a year. After a long day’s work, and making it through the extra traffic to get there, I find they've sold my room out from under me. Explanation was "First come, first served." After doing a Seinfeld reservation routine with someone who had canned answers, I figured they really didn't care. As I made other reservations in the parking lot I heard there were a thousand rooms there. I guess quantity makes up for quality? Last time I go through the grist mill on hotel circle. Stay away.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank XRD
Reviewed August 6, 2006

My family stayed at this resort for 2 nights, 3 days. When we first arrived we cringed up because it was right near the highway. One member of the family thought that it was just a small motel but she was definitly wrong. It is a huge complex with many restuarants and 4 pools which are great. When we really got into the resort part it was amazing you couldnt even see the highway or hear it. It was like a little secluded place. The food was ok...not the greatest but a not horrible. There is a great spa which is very elegant inside. All the staff were very efficient. And worked in a fast manner to measure up to our needs. The grounds are beautiful with palms, bird houses and gorgeous gardens and gazebos. The only real turn off to me is that the trolley is right behind the hotel and just random people can get off the trolley and walk right into the hotel and use all their facielities. I thought there should be guards and key cards for you to get into the pools and buildings. Our san diego experience was very good....although it may be a little to much of a convension center it still made our vacation meet our expectations

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family