“Not bad, better choices elsewhere”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #180 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 15, 2010

This place was just ok. Very overpriced. I stayed here for 9 days. My room was $147/night at the conference rate, but the TV was super small (25") and there was no fridge in the room. This place nickels and dimes you for everything ($10/night for internet, $5/day for parking, etc). This place is on Hotel Circle, so there are lots of other similarly priced options, including a Crown Plaza that apparently was much nicer.

That said, we had a waitress at this on location restaurant called the Trellises. Her name was Angelica and she was awesome. She was very professional and was actually the highlight of my trip. If her supervisor reads these reviews I recommend she get a raise, because having her wait on us for breakfast was a good way to start the day.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,710)

Reviewed March 12, 2010

I stayed at the Town and Country for seven days during a conference that was being held there. Before I left for my trip several colleagues mentioned that it may be best to look elsewhere for accommodations, but I decided for the convenience aspect, I'd keep my reservation. Big mistake.

My (first) room was in the Regency Tower. Stepping off the elevator at my floor I noticed the smell of urine (!!) and walked past fresh gum on the carpet which also looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in a week. The decor was awful - who's idea is it to add blue carpet, a scary picture of a little girl on the wall (this picture was also in my second room in the Royal Palm tower) and curtains that date back to the 70's? After one night in this room I requested a move to the Royal Palm Tower, similar decor but a step up nonetheless.

I thought about switching to one of the other hotels in the circle (there are MANY other options), but was told that it I would be charged $50-75 PER NIGHT of my unused stay if I wished to cancel. This made no sense especially since the hotel was at capacity and was even turning folks away due to lack of roms. I've never been at a hotel that enacted such a policy. Ridiculous.

Be aware that this is 'nickel and dime' CENTRAL! Everything is extra so be prepared to pay for the gym ($8-10/day - only open until 8pm and the air was stagnant, no A/C or fans) and to use the internet ($9.95-12.95 per day).

Several of the front desk staff were incredibly rude (When asked about internet my companion was told - 'Please wait until I'm finished and I'll answer your question'). I frequented the Terrace Cafe for breakfast and lunch and several times sat for 10 or more minutes before anyone came by to take my order or refill my drink. To avoid this, I would stop next door at the Deli to grab a Starbucks-type coffee and each morning the line was so long that it would take 15-30 minutes of standing in line to get a drink. (I blame the management for this one since they only had 1 staff behind the counter between 7am and 11am).

If I were ever in the area again, I would stay at the Courtyard Marriott where the rooms were cheaper, the gym was free, there was hot complimentary breakfast, and you received $20 in coupons per day good for any food/drink at the hotel - and it's only a 5 minute walk to the Town and Country. A colleague of mine stayed there and was very pleased with his accommodations.

Overall, this hotel would get a 2 out of 10 stars.

1  Thank traveler21fl
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I stayed at the Town and Country for 3 nights for a convention that was held at the hotel.

While the grounds and landscaping are absolutely lovely and well maintained, the resort is sprawling and does, indeed, have a 1950s feel to it.

On the plus side, the convention center had nice facilities for the exhibition, including lots of restrooms (not always a given). The hall was well lit and ventilated.

The main pool was heated and the jacuzzi was very large and worked well. I do wish parents would not dump their young kids off at the jacuzzi.

Town and Country sits on Hotel Circle, and is very convenient to San Diego, the trolley line, a large mall, and Old Town San Diego.

I don't mind paying $170/night for a room. I DO, however, mind being nickel and dimed for every extra cost, including: $14/day for parking; $10/day for internet access; $8/day to use the fitness center (and I'm pretty sure that was a discounted rate because I was there with a convention); and 95 cents to use my calling card from the room. There are so many other hotels on Hotel Circle where I could have gotten all of these amenitities for free and at a lower rate per evening. And I could have gotten a free breakfast.

The room itself was very clean. The bathroom was tiny, and not particularly well lit. As a female traveler, I absolutely hate outdoor access to rooms (as best as I could tell, none of the rooms had controlled access through a security door or indoor corridors). The balcony was OK, and fairly private (I could not see either of my neighbors, which was nice). However, I did see some rooms at the ends of the corridors where their balcony stared straight out to a brick wall. Just a weird configuration. No flat screen TV, either. How is that possible in California?

I ate two dinners at Charlie's, the sports bar. The food was OK, but way overpriced ($11 for a hamburger?). The service here was somewhat surly.

The landscaping and cleaning staff all seemed to go out of their way to make me feel welcome. One of the cleaning crew even hustled over to open a door for me when I was lugging a carton into the convention center. Otherwise, the service was unimpressive.

I would not recommend this place for the business traveler, especially if you are only staying one night, since the grounds are so massive, it takes forever to get a feel for the lay of the land. I saw one guy wandering aimlessly at 6:00 a.m. looking for the registration desk to check out while I was on my way to the gym. I finally was able to catch up to him and help him with directions. There are too many other business hotels (Courtyard, Residence Inn) on Hotel Circle to pick this place.

Even for a resort destination, you can do better. I had some free time Monday morning and was hoping to use the spa. No dice. The spa is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

And how in the 21st century, can the fitness center not have any ellipticals? Fortunately, the bike and stair master that I used worked well. The weight equipment was also in good shape.

Reviewed March 9, 2010

This hotel has some good features, but beware depending upon your expectations. The good features are: fantastic location near mall, train line, freeways to get to all parts of the city. Also good are the incredible landscaping and outdoor settings with pools, patios, trees, foliage, and beautiful scenery on the property. The beds are fantastic -- some of the best sleep of my travels. The bad is that it looks like its best days were in the Frank Sinatra era. Also, the showerheads in the bathroom are at chin level for short people (I was contorted to wash my hair and I'm not tall), and the walls are so thin you can hear every activity of your neighbors. Worse are that the TVs and cable reception are from the 50s too. Finally, we found the service atrocious. They seem to have lots of people about in front desk, bellhop, restaurants, but they don't seem to be intent upon service. I would only recommend this hotel if you are wanting a gorgeous location but don't care about quick service or idiosyncrasies of an older property. I'm recommending this as "no" overall, but it might be good for families or those who have different expectations.

Reviewed March 7, 2010

If you have AAA you can get a great discount. They also offer 2 adult passes to any attraction in San Diego. This is a great benefit. The package also includes a buffet breakfast for the entire family. The service was not so great at the buffet but what do you expect for free.

Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Not a bad hotel, just way overpriced. They charge for everything and no complimentary breakfast was included. Service was ok. Try across the road at the vagabond for better service at half the price.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Kiwi_traveler101
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Kelly´s steak house and Trellises restaurant are delicious. The service from front desk is excellent, "mainly miss Terry NG" is helpful. The room is very comfortable and clean and cozy. The staff are friendly. The weather is nice in San Diego. We will come back to stay here in the future for vacation.