“Horrible , Old , Musty , Beware”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #177 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 29, 2009

This hotel was a recommended pick for a business conference.

I looked at the web site and decided to sign up for Town and Country Resort’s Preferred Corporate Program. I travel to San Diego several times per year and thought the web site looked nice and am always willing to try something new.

The area is well known to me, having stayed across the street ( really freeway) several times at the Sheraton and the Marriott.

I was surprised when a rep. from the hotel called me and regarding the Preferred Club. The woman indicated the “club” wasn’t offered for “convention people.” Should have been my first clue.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and found the outside of the hotel to be clean and well kept with a “country village” type atmosphere. There was plenty of parking . Inside the Lobby , a line of about 15 people were waiting to check in, there were 2 front desks clerks.

A booth for “VIPS” was in the middle of the Lobby , with another clerk talking with a fourth clerk. Neither of these people assisted with what I thought to be quite a long line of travelers waiting to check in. It took 25 minutes to get thru the line.

Hotel $ 147.00 a night
Internet Fee $10.00 a day
Parking fee $ 14.00 a day
Fitness Center $10.00 a day
Local calls $ 2.50 each
Occupancy Tax $ 15.44 a day
Change in reservation $50.00

Ok still with me.. Did I mention upon check -in a young person with a back pack sign-ined with an $85 dollar a night rate ..

My first room was in the 3300 building, this hotel must have a thousand rooms. It looks like a few 50 year old country motels , with a high tower and a some random buildings. It is quaint, the flowers are nice and there are cute streets and welll …

So I get to the two story building, no elevators. But its all good, I don’t need one. The hallways are inside and dark, first floor is filled with students -the doors are open and its LOUD. A woman is screaming at them to hurry up. ( oh no I’m thinking)

My room is on the second floor. A well dressed older European couple and I offer wary looks. I open the door to the worst MUSTY - OLD carpet smell. The carpet is blue and probably really old , the fabric on the bedspread thread worn. The smell is overwhelming. I phone the front desk. Oh she says , yes some “people complain about that building “

Back to the front desk , back in line and a new key. < I did hear one woman exclaim to another about her four poster bed in the room - I was hopeful) My next room is set at the end of the property . There is an alley way leading to somewhere near the freeway which I can hear very plainly. The out side is kinda funky cute, well worn white paint cute terrace of flowers. I can do funky , even thread worn if its clean..

Inside the room with two double beds smells like old unwashed clothes. Gross. The carpet is really stained , a white chalking smear is on one of the bed covers. A glass on a plastic tray is shining sticky. The fabric lampshades are whiteish grey and dusty. There is a dead bug enclosed in the picture frame directly over the bed. Looks like a tic. I pull back the covers and a black curly hair is laying on the sheet. The other bed looks clean so I fold away the cover and wash my hands. I wish I would have had my camera.

On a happy note the bathroom is clean. Except for the wall next to the toilet where there are some dried brown drips. I’m thinking a spray bottle of cleaner , paper towels and buying some sheets will get me thru the week.

In the middle of the night I hear the freeway and the guy next door snoring. Ho hum .

I have read the reviews of this place and maybe if you are a VIP , there are better rooms. The Town and Country is a dump as far as I am concerned. Do not stay here if you can help it. If you book rooms for someone - do them a favor and book somewhere else.

Right across the street are the Hilton, residence inn , Sheraton , double tree ..

I will never recommened this place to anyone. In fact I suggest they stay away. The management is fooling themselves if they think business such as this will carry them thru. I spend about 60 nights a year in hotels and this is the worst i have ever seen.

2  Thank venturarose
Write a ReviewReviews (3,720)

Reviewed April 29, 2009

my biggest complaint about this hotel is with the internet service. they charge if you want internet access in your hotel room, but this is not at all worth it. the service has gone down both mornings i have been here, and there is barely a signal during most of the day - worse than dial-up. it was impossible to even check my email in my room. they have free internet at the restaurants at the hotel and you are probably better off using that. if you do have problems with the internet, you should complain to the front desk. i was told that 'they do not know that the internet is bad because no one ever complains about it'

1  Thank erinmarie121
TownCountryTerry, Director of E-Commerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2009

Thank you very much for staying with us and for voicing your displeasure with our internet provider. First of all I do apologize that the internet service at the hotel was less than ideal. We are in fact aware of the poor service of our current internet provider and we are in the process of switching to a new provider. This process should be completed by mid August. Thank you again for staying with us at the Town and Country. On your next trip to San Diego this situation will have been corrected.

Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed at the T & C during the holidays and had a wonderful time. We loved being right across the street from a fabulous mall. Since we were there during the "off" season most of the restaurants were closed so having a mall across the street was very convenient. We did order room service one night and were very impressed. The food and service were great. On the down side we were woken up early one morning by a work crew removing wall paper right outside our room. We also were a litle freaked out by the painting of the girl in the blue dress that is in every room and in many hallways. Her eyes follow you no matter which way you move. We finally had to put a towel over her picture so she would quit watching us sleep.
Over all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Service was excellent at Trellis' Restaurant. Her suggestion for breakfast was supurb. Service was excellent also.

Melody provided excellent service and advice on the menu at kelley's Steak House - also don't miss the Piano Bar.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Besides the reunion (Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association) we attended @ the Town & Country, having Pati Muklevicz serve us @ the Trellises Restaurant was the most enjoyable part of our stay. She was very attentive, friendly and provided several enjoyable food combinations not found on the menu. We looked forward to having "breakfast with Pati."

Reviewed April 15, 2009

Have stayed many times and always excellent service, friendly staff and convenient food service choices.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Belllmen and Front Desk staff were incredibly helpful and supportive when we (a conference) came to the hotel. They went above and beyond their normal duties. Without their support and assistance I would not have been able to have our event operate so successfully. Thank you for their friendly service and personal touch!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business