“Margaret Kennedy - True Gem”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #189 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Temecula, California
“Margaret Kennedy - True Gem”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed at your beautiful property on New Year's Eve and I must say that this ranks one of the best stays I have ever had. The place is gorgeaous and convenient. The most important thing that I look at when I visit properties is the service and Margaret made me feel so welcome and her hospitality is top notch. I will defintiely refer your property to everyone I know when they visit San Diego. Service makes a HUGE difference and Margaret just went above and beyond that. Have a wonderful New Year. Hope to visit really soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thanks so much for ringing in the 2014 with us, we hope you have a wonderful New Year as well! Thanks for letting us knopw about your stay and the service you received from Margaret. We have shared your comments with her and appreciate your time. We'll see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Polish first
Inglewood, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I attended the Transition Alliance Seminar On Dec. 2 to 4, 2013. It was a large conference perhaps over a thousand people. I had a great time, the service, food and venue was excellent and beautiful. If I can afford I would come and stay there and definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
We appreciate your coming to the Town and Country for the CA Transition conference. It was our pleasure to host your group last month and we would definitely like to have you back in the future, whether for business or for pleasure. Thanks for taking the time to write your review.
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I rarely stay at hotels that score below 80% on TA, and the less than 65% satisfaction rate with this property made me nervous. We had decided to spend Christmas in San Diego with our daughter, son-in-law and grandson. Having decided to skip a traditional Christmas, I hoped we would not be staying in a gruesome hotel.

I was, therefore, absolutely thrilled when we drove onto the immaculate grounds of this resort. It is just amazing to find such a park-like atmosphere in the middle of a town. Our rooms did not disappoint us. They were what I call "old-world elegant". Perhaps a younger person would describe them as out-of-date, but rich brocades in jewel tones always make me feel good. Everything seemed very new to us from the lovely drapes to the soft carpet.

Our room, in addition to offering lovely decor, was immaculately clean. The flat screen TV offered plenty of choices,, and the bathroom was lovely, with thick towels and top-of-the-line amenities. There was a bit of a hiccup with room service on Christmas Day, which we could easily forgive. It was discouraging to experience the same lack of service on the following day, but a telephone call brought the necessary items to our room immediately.

We spent the entire week in this lovely hotel and saw only one other guest. In addition to being a great hotel it seemed as if we were in our own private world. This changed on the afternoon before we were scheduled to leave. It is obvious that this property is designed to accommodate huge numbers of people, and were I hosting a convention I would certainly find many advantages to using this facility. On the afternoon before we left, the hotel was filled with teen-agers. the parking lot, which had been empty, was so full we could not even find a place to park. "Our" parking spot near the elevator, had been taken along with 75 other more convenient locations.

I could understand that when this property was full the sheer density of numbers could create problems just based on the large number of people housed there. I do have to recognize that even though the children seemed very active and excited, we did not hear them after we entered our room, and they did not disturb our sleep.

My only other concern about this property is that the rooms are all accessed through exterior corridors and/or doors. I generally avoid this type of construction because I believe it decreases the security of the room. We did not have any issues with the open corridors. The institutional concrete was not in keeping with the elegance of the rest of the property, but certainly forgivable.

We ate one meal in the only restaurant that was open on the property. We all ordered steaks. My son-in-law's steak tasted as if it had been over-aged, but the server did not charge us. The meal was a bit more than adequate, and seriously over-priced for what we received, but it was convenient and since we were the only people in the place, there was no wait. Our only complaint with the restaurant, apart from the ridiculous prices, was that the double doors had been left open, and it was very cold outside, making the inside of the restaurant too cold for comfort. Once the doors were closed and the room warmed up it was pleasant. The service was personable and attentive.

One final comment about the location.....this hotel is in the middle of everything. The parking lot is the only separation between a guest and the public transportation system. One block beyond that puts you inside the nicest mall in the city. You can reach the zoo, Old Town, Sea World, and downtown San Diego in just a matter of minutes.

I do not know if I would find this property so delightful and charming when every room was occupied with four teens, but when we were staying there it was a lovely experience, and exceptionally economical.

It is absolutely a place I would stay in again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for spending your holidays with us. We're so glad you that enjoyed your room, the beautiful grounds and everything else. The group of teenagers were all a part of a church group so they were well behaved. One other thing I would like to point out is that some of our rooms are accessed by inside corridors vs. outside, so if this is more comfortable for you we have that choice. Thanks again for visiting our beautiful city over the Christmas break.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great place, I would always come back again. Location is great itself and a huge mall in walking distance. Rooms are gorgeous, Service perfect and I love the enormous amount of palms everywhere at the huge resort.

• Stayed January 2014
We have over 2,000 palm trees on property and some of them are "royal palms", which is why we use that name around property. They are very majestic and look gorgeous in the San Diego sunshine. So glad you had an "excellent" stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Corona, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Not happy - our company booked a conference at the hotel. Told us to call and get a special price on our room when we gave the name of our company conference. Other people in our party just went online and got a better rate - $30 less and someone else paid $44 less.

When I went to the front desk to tell them - they did not honor the price. Our company brought over 2,000 people to their hotel and so much business with rooms and food. I was very disappointed and felt taken advantage of.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Vikki D
Thank you for your review and for staying with us for the conference. When a meeting planner books a function with us a lot of time it includes not only guestrooms, but meeting space, food functions and sometimes other amenities. They sign a contract for a specified number of rooms and it's important for their attendees to book within that block so they get credit for the bookings. We try to keep the rates similar in all avenues, but sometimes there are rates that do get unnoticed. We regret that you were unhappy and do hope we get the opportunity to serve you again.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We rented a room for one night online, New Year's Eve since we were attending a party there. I specifically requested for a King bed since I did not like having two beds in the room. Our friends, who requested the same type of room invited us to their room and we saw how nice their set up was. I was excited to check in to see the same accommodation for us. The Front desk only had one attendant and there were about ten of us checking in. I was with our friend so the wait was bearable. The lady at the counter was courteous and pleasant. The hallway carpet leading to our room had seemed to have been wet at some point then dried then wet again. There were chairs stacked outside the rooms as if we were thrown to the back storage area. When we got to our room, there were two queen beds. Yes, a nightmare, right? I thought since we were only staying for one night, that it shouldn't be an issue. The response I got when I called the desk was "That was just a request. We don't have any more rooms with King beds." Well, I did not insist, it was a new year and I didn't have to stay there anymore ever again, so I let it go---but not after taking horrible photos of the place! We drew the curtain in the morning only to see the back side of another tower where utility and hospitality personnel were walking back and forth. Had to draw the curtains closed since we couldn't tell if they can see us. There were stacks of construction materials, parked golf carts in view and it was not a resort site to see. The lack of attention to detail and poor response may have been due to the large (very) hotel/casitas they manage that we were but only one customer out of many who unknowingly believe all that they read on their website. I love the central location and that was it. I would rather stay elsewhere. It was disappointing, but we made the most of it.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We do thank you for staying with us over the New Year and regret that your requested room type was not available for you. We do apologize. I hope that 2014 has continued to get better for you.
Tubac, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed during the Christmas holiday week 2014. We had great service, excellent meals - breakfasts and dinners, and happy hour in the bar. Christmas is the off season for the hotel so there were no crowds except at the nearby Fashion Valley Mall which is within walking distance and is a beautiful mall. We loved the central location, golf course and mall accessibilities.
The rooms are adequate in size and nicely furnished. We changed rooms after the first night once we were familiar with the surroundings and it was no problem. Each and every hotel employee was exceptional. There are two types of rooms, the tower and the single level rooms. The towers have been updated but not so much the single story room - although charming - and our favorite location. The gardens are beautifully maintained and lush. The weather was so nice we couldn't resist spending an afternoon by the pool with appetizers and beverages. All is charming. The fitness center and spa have everything you need and are immaculate. Its a lovely resort. We will stay over and over again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We appreciate your spending your Christmas break with us enjoying our hotel, restaurants, bars and pool. We did have beautiful weather over this time and we're glad you were able to enjoy it. Thanks also for pointing out that Rez and the other Trellises employees were especially helpful to you during your stay with us. See you again soon.