“Not a personal experience but...”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #179 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotell is a convention hotell, not a hotell that will give you personal experiences. I stayed at this hotell in October when I attended a conference for 4 nights. My husband and our 15 months old toddler went with me. As being a parent and staying at this hotel, the greatest pros was the garden room we were given. The room was in a one storey building, facing a small garden with a lawn, chairs and sofas. There was only a small step from the room to a one stair step out to the garden areas which was great when you have a toodler! The largest con was the lack of a refridgerator in the hotellroom. IF there would have been a refridgerator, I would probably give the hotell one more star. Now, we stored fruit and some toddler food in the icebucket which was really inconvenient,
But above that, the coffee machine worked good, the soap held good quality and we liked the towels in the bathroom. Sure, the room and the bathroom was a little bit outdated, but it was clean. The laundry service worked just fine and the people at the frontdesk when checking in and out were very nice and helpful. We tried the food in all the restaurants and they were children friendly at all the three places. It actually worked gret to bring a child to the fine dining option, the Trelises. We went to the diner with sports theme one night, but I would not recommend that place if you have children. It is extremely noisy, not very nice at all, but the food was ok.
The beds were of good quality, not too soft. A crib came without extra cost but be sure to bring some extra blankets and a pillow for your child.
Parking is really easy, there are alot of parking spaces, but still organized so that our garden outside the room was not right on the parking spot, which felt nice as a parent.
The hotel can easily be reached from the highway, is close to Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo. The shopping mall Fashion Valley can be reached through a path from the hotell, it's only 5 minutes away, and there you have different department stores, restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for the three stars, but we could have received four! Refrigerators are available upon request so one could have been provided for you and we would have gotten our extra star! Please note this for future as we'd definitely like to have you back again. Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,720)

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here twice before more than 7 years ago. Nothing has changed. Great service all around. Lush gardens and clean rooms. Multiple venues, unique pools and fountains and restaurants. Great conference areas. Great location with quick access too everything. Rooms are spacious but outdated. 80's luxury decor that seems out of place.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EIZABETHTucson
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for being a multiple visitor to the Town and Country over the years. We appreciate your kind comments about our great service, rooms, gardens, restaurants and conference areas, and also your feedback about our decor. We look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is predominately a convention hotel. Good but limited amenities. Central location to highway mall and dining, helpful staff, rooms were outdated but clean. Parking could be a huge problem when there is a convention. Food was fair, nice sports type bar. Far from beach but next to nice golf course. Price was fair but varied by date. Parking fee high and no way to avoid. Would prefer name brand hotel but you could do a lot worse.

Room Tip: Ask for updated room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate your mentioning that we are a great hotel for conventions. We do have the largest convention center, second only to the one downtown, and are very centralized as you also mentioned. There is extra parking around property, including the underground (below the convention center) and a three-tiered parking structure next to the Regency Tower. We also are located right on the trolley line so guests can use the trolley to get to various places, including downtown, Petco Park for baseball games and Qualcomm Stadium for football games, just to name a few. I hope we have the pleasure of your company again.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was only here for a couple of nights for business. I had never been to San Diego and this was a welcomed introduction. The hotel staff as I checked provided me with every type of information to make me comfortable in the new town, give me multiple options of dining, and ensured that my questions were answered prior to me stepping foot in my room. The hotel / resort itself was an all inclusive "campus" of amenities. The breakfast buffet, although a tad pricey, was well worth it and a wait-staff that was extremely courteous and gave you what you needed then left you alone to enjoy your meal. The buffet was amazing, everything was fresh and had not been sitting under a heat lamp. And then the room, comfortable, quiet, with a view of the hills and palm trees to make the resort complete. A great stay and I am very glad I had to opportunity to be here. Will stay here every time I go to San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the upper floors, 7th or 8th. And although I did not get a chance to try i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for staying with us on your business trip to San Diego. I do hope you were able to enjoy not only our hotel, but our beautiful city too since this was your first visit to San Diego. We appreciate your taking the time to post your review and can't wait to have you back with us again for perhaps a longer, more leisurely stay.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was very pleased with the 4 days that my wife and I were at Town and Country. Upon our arrival, we were greeted at the front desk by a very pleasant employee who signed us in and explained everything we needed to know about the facility. The room view that we had was excellent, over looking the pool. We ate at two of the three restaurants and found them to be very reasonable. But what I thought stood out was the staff. They were so friendly and attentive to any questions that we had. The grounds are incredible. There just aren't any other places like this anymore. In reading over some reviews of Town and Country, I can not at all agree with their negative opinions. I am one picky guy and my wife is worse.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor over looking the large pool
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for coming to visit us with your wife. We appreciate your comments about how friendly and attentive our staff was and are so glad you enjoyed your accommodations and our "incredible" grounds. We look forward to serving you both again in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here for a Women’s Conference that was being held on the property. By looking at the pictures online I was excited about where I was staying. When I got there, the first thing I saw was the huge sign & thought “ug, that’s the sign?” Not a good first impression (looked outdated). I was able to take a golf cart to my hotel, which was toward the back. I did walk from my hotel room to the front desk the day I checked out & for everyone complaining how far it was, honestly, it wasn’t that far (and I had a backpack & 2 suitcases to maneuver).
I shared a 2 queen bed room with 3 other ladies. I was disappointed in the size of the room. I stay a lot in hotels when my family travels, and we get 2 queen beds to accommodate my husband & 2 kids, and this has to be the smallest I’ve been in. Like others, it is very outdated, which obviously wasn’t shown in the website pictures. Also, the bathroom: ok, I did like that there was an extra sink outside the toilet/shower area, which was nice when trying to get ready with 3 other women, but the door, oh my, it annoyed me the entire time! They put a up/down handle on a sliding door! Each time I tried to leave I tried pulling it up/down since that’s what you usually do w/that type of handle. I’ve never seen a poorly designed door!
The conference area was nice, had enough room for our large group (about 850). Plenty of outdoor seating areas when we just wanted to chill during free time.
They do have a gift shop, but I paid almost twice the amount for a bag of potato chips.
I did visit the spa, I had an appointment for a massage & facial. I liked the lockers w/key so I could leave my clothes in there w/o worry, they had a shower so I did that before my massage since I had just flown across country that morning. There was a nice quiet waiting area & I had a wonderful & professional massage & facial! The only downside is that if you weren’t having a service done the fitness area was a charge per day, so that was a turn off.
We checked out the night before, which was a nice feature. The front desk lady was very gracious in splitting the room charges since all 4 of us were paying separately and since I didn’t stay as long as the other 3 ladies, we were able to figure out how much each person owed.
It was a nice place for our conference, but I wouldn’t stay here if my family was coming. I’ve been to other places that are called “resorts” & Town & Country doesn’t fit the resort title to me after staying at other resort hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for staying with us for your conference. We do have varying sizes of rooms so perhaps another room would have been more comfortable for 3 women, although we do appreciate that our extra outside sink was a plus. Our renovation crew has been copied on your review to look into the door handle situation, sorry this was an annoyance. We have also passed along your positive comments regarding the spa and front desk and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The entire staff was wonderful! Rooms were clean, the bed was fine, flat screen TV, but the bathroom was from the 80's. The ice machine was in the middle of the building and my room was on the far east outside.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate your comment about our "entire" staff being wonderful! We will be sure to pass along your comments. We also will take your other comments under advisement and they have been shared with management. We do appreciate your input.