“We had a great stay!”

Ranked #194 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Corona, California, United States
“We had a great stay!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We spent quite a bit of time in hotels last month (at least by our standards). Of the hotels we stayed at the Town and Country Resort Hotel was easily the best. Unfortunately for us it was the first hotel we stayed in on our trip and everything else paled by comparison. The room was big, and clean. The bed was comfortable, and my 3 and a half year old loved that he got his own "BIG BED." The pool was great and the grounds are beautiful. The location was perfect for us, we were going to the ZOO. The next time we head down to San Diego we will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
What a treat for your son to come to San Diego to visit the World-Famous San Diego Zoo! I'm sure he loved seeing all the animals and the new baby Panda. We're so pleased he, and you, also enjoyed your room here at the Town and Country, big bed, pool and all! Thank you for your review. We look forward to having you back with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Polish first
Orange, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

And not in a good way...

The worst of the 1970s. The attached photo of the bedspread has not been altered in any way. I'll do my best to describe the rest: similarly hideously-patterned plastic-backed pull-chord curtains, royal blue carpet, mustard colored blankets, heavy & ornately adorned faux-wood hutch, table and nightstand, 25" tube television, gold-colored "candelabra" hung from the ceiling by matching chain links, 4" white ceramic bathroom tiles, white formica countertop... Visit your local thrift shop if you can't quite picture the horror I'm describing.

The walls are paper-thin, allowing you to clearly hear your neighbors. The champions next door treated me to 3 games of bedspring poker at 1:30, 4:30 and 7:00am. The pillows are foam and do not resemble down pillows in any way. Now that I think of it, everything in the room was made of synthetic, man-made materials.

Aside from a pool and ice machine, there no extra amenities. They charge $8.00 for 24 hours of wifi (ethernet not available). Breakfast is buffet style and $12.00. I did not partake of either.

The front-desk customer service employees could benefit from basic customer service training. I went to the lobby on three occasions and not once did they eye contact with me. Perhaps they are charitably hiring workers that are on the autism spectrum. In one instance, Three of us patrons waited for 10 minutes while one person attempted to help a patient couple while one worker catatonically stared straight ahead the entire time and another shuffled papers for five minutes then took her purse and left on her break.

It is in the Hotel Circle area with numerous other hotel options. Save yourself some money and stay somewhere else at half the price. It's not near anything except the Fashion Valley Mall. You will have to drive and become familiar with the freeways if you want to see San Diego's sites.

Trying to put a positive spin on it, it might be useful for a movie location if the director needs a tacky 1970s hotel setting. Or it could be useful for renewing wedding vows, if the couple wanted to be reminded of how far they've come since being poor newlyweds in the 1970s.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Please know that all our rooms are not decorated the same and we are still in the process of renovating some of them so we haven’t completed our process to date. I do regret that you were unhappy with your accommodations. We do have 3 swimming pools, a Jacuzzi and various ice machines throughout the property, and are next door to not only the Fashion Valley Mall, but Riverwalk Golf Course and the San Diego Trolley, which is an inexpensive way to get around San Diego. We do apologize to you for the lack of customer service you experienced at our front desk and please know that this will be addressed and we appreciate your letting us know. We thank you for providing your input and please know it will be shared with management.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a fantastic 3 night 4 day family reunion at this hotel. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The 3 pools are clean and refreshing. The rooms are clean and cleaned by friendly housekeepers. The staff is what makes the hotel a great place for a reunion. They care about your experience there. It is an older hotel, but well kept up and the staff is responsive to your requests. It is in a great location close to many San Diego excursions.

Room Tip: The 3500s are peaceful and quiet with roses everywhere.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you so much for having your family reunion with us here at the Town and Country! We also thank you very much for taking the time to post your review to let us know how much you enjoyed your visit. It's always so nice to visit with family and, where else but San Diego would you want to be! Of course, I'm biased. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights while visiting the area. The hotel grounds are beautiful and well-kept. The resort is rather large and our building was towards the far edge of the resort. There were a few places to eat onsite, including a sandwich place near the main pool and a Starbuck's. There was an above ground parking garage for easy access. The room was clean and updated, but the size of the room was rather small, especially the bathroom which consisted of a shower and toilet. The mirrored vanity was separate and only had one sink. It was a very tight space for four people to get ready for the day. There was also not enough room for 3 suitcases on the floor (we had one in the closet).

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a friendly desk clerk who checked us in, but gave terrible directions on how to get to our room. We had to drive around to the back of the resort, go through the convention center parking lot (which meant we had to check in with a pass each time we entered. When we parked we walked around for a bit trying to find our building. It would have been much easier to find had the front desk person told us it was the building right behind the parking garage. A maintenance person directed us to the right place. I know we weren't the only ones lost because while I was sitting at the pool one evening, a man in a suit was walking around with his family also lost and trying to find his room. The buildings should be better marked.

My other complaint was that there were hundreds of high school boys basketball players staying in our building, and several were on our floor right next to our room. The first night of our stay was nice and quiet, but the next two nights after those basketball teams checked in were awfully loud. The boys were yelling in the hall at late hours past midnight, they were going in and out of each others' rooms slamming doors, pounding on doors, and chasing each other around. I felt like our building was so far away from the main building that there was no one watching over our building. Someone left a whole pizza on a table near the elevator with a note that said "free.' The pizza stayed there all night and was still sitting on that table the next day at 11:00 am when we checked out.

We would not have selected this place on our own (got the room on Hotwire), but it turned out to be fine. We were charged $8 per night to park and they charge for wi-fi in the room. Wi-fi in the restaurants is free though, and once you get the wi-fi code from the restaurant (free for the asking), we found that the code still worked in our room for the remainder of our stay. Just write the code down and hang onto it because after 24 hours you have to log in again. There is a mall right behind the resort with a Cheesecake Factory restaurant which was a great bonus!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We appreciate your taking the time to post your review and to let both us, and future guests, know a little about what we have to offer. We will address the issue with the directions. We do provide bellmen service to assist in getting to your room and pointing out places of interest. Regarding the teenagers, there should have not only been a chaperon watching them, but our 24 hour security as well. Our apologies that you were disturbed by their pranks. We do agree that the mall next door is a plus and love the Cheesecake Factory too. Thanks.
Vancouver
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of hotel circle so very close to the trolley and right across the street from the Fashion Valley Mall. However the location is not great as unless you want to shop you are spending time at the resort as there is not much around but highways and other hotels. The resort is old, outdated and in desperate need of a major renovation. If you are planning to stay here one night as you are passing through then maybe this hotel could work. If you are planning on being there for a length of time for a vacation or a conference then you must be warned. The rooms are extremely old with mouldy and cracked tiles on the deck and in the bathroom. The furniture in the room is very dated and showing wear and tear.The curtains are yellowing and overall the rooms feels dirty. The beds are hard and the bedding was old. As a group of us were there together we were able to see that not all rooms were alike so it would be difficult to request a room. It seemed like they had bought a mish mash of furniture at a garage sale to put into the rooms.
The resort itself is also very old. There was one very small heated pool and hot tub. However no towels are provided and the lounge chairs are also old and uncomfortable. The restaurant was also dated and dirty. The floors were greasy and the tables sticky, The food was terrible!!! Actually uneatable. We were there for four nights so were stuck eating there and each time the food was bad. If you go eat across the street at the fashion mall as there is restaurants there. Also do not spend the extra money on the breakfast buffet as all it consists of is bacon, scrambled eggs, stale pastries and hash browns and one drink of your choice.
San Diego is a beautiful place and there are so many other places to stay. Until this place gets a major overhaul this is not the place to stay!!!!

Room Tip: Ask to be in one of the Towers not the guest rooms!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AndieVan
We do thank you for your review and want you to be aware that we are in the process of renovating all the guestrooms. Also, there are 3 pools on property, and there should have been plenty of pool towels available, we will be checking on this. We will share all your comments with management and please know that all items will be addressed and we thank you for your input.
West Coast
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had a very nice stay at the Town and Country, in a newly renovated Deluxe King room, Royal Palm Tower. Check-in was pleasant and efficient, with Tom assisting me. Following Check-In, I was offered a ride back to the Royal Palm Tower in the bellman's cart, which I gladly accepted and appreciated, as the property is fairly spread out. Jeremy, the bellman, was very courteous, friendly, and efficient.

When I arrived at my room, there was quite a "pool party" with very loud, live music, taking place, as there was a convention there that weekend. Since I was not there with a convention and since I had an early business meeting in the morning, I was concerned about the noise and how long it would last. I called the front desk and was assured that the music would stop by 10:00 pm, or, if it did not, then security would go and make sure it stopped. Since I have heard that kind of a response many times and have not had that happen, I asked about other available rooms, which were sparse. However, bellman Alex came and picked me up in the cart, and drove me to look at two rooms which were available. Since they were in unappealing areas of the property and were not nearly as nice as my Deluxe King room, I decided to stay in my room and asked Alex if the hotel had any ear plugs, just in case the loud music continued past 10:00 pm. Alex went out of his way to radio the appropriate people on site, to locate some ear plugs, which were brought to my room by engineering. I was very impressed with the personal service.

After settling in to my Deluxe King in the RP Tower, I wandered around the grounds a bit. Lupe, the gift shop receptionist, was very nice and helpful. My favorite item in the gift store was the delicious Naked Juice products! I bought a few of them during my stay. I stopped by the deli, and, although I did not purchase food there that night, the young lady working behind the counter was exceptionally friendly and courteous. She was very welcoming and helpful, even though I did not purchase any food at that time. I did buy my breakfast there the next morning, but, she was not there. A nice young gentleman waited on me, and he was also very friendly and courteous. The deli food was average, but the deli service was excellent!

Room Comments: Although the room had been recently renovated and had luxurious furniture, the entrance door and the locks were terrible. The door did not even fit the door jamb, as light was let in all the way around the door, and when closed, the door jiggled, even when locked with the deadbolt, as if anyone could kick his/her way in, if he/she wanted to. It did not feel secure, at all. However, the room was very nice and the bed provided an excellent night's sleep. The hair dryer was absolutely terrible -- the worst I've tried to use in any hotel. I really wished I had brought my own travel hair dryer, as the hotels did me absolutely no good and I had to walk around the grounds the next morning to "air dry" my hair. Also, there was no "Do Not Disturb" sign provided (and I neglected to check for it and ask for one before retiring for the evening); so, housekeeping was knocking on my door at 8:30 am. Although I was up, it was an unwelcome knocking, as I had arranged for a late checkout that day. Also, there was only one, little garbage can in the entire hotel room, and it was in the bathroom.

Although I had been provided ear plugs, the loud music had, in fact, stopped around 10:00 pm and, surprisingly, all was quiet through the night.

After my meeting was over that morning, I went to check out with Donna, who was very courteous and helpful, as I requested two copies of my checkout folio, one for me and one for my work. She was more than happy to provide those copies, each in its own envelope.

Overall, I enjoyed my first stay at the Town and Country Resort and I was pleasantly surprised at the level of personalized service I received throughout my stay. Although I do not expect to be staying in that area again, if I were to return to the area, I would certainly stay at the Town and Country again.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid pool noise, including live bands, opt for staying in the Regency Tower or court...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your very detailed review about your visit to the Town and Country. We appreciate the extra effort you made to point out employees who were especially helpful to you during your visit and we will be sure to pass along your comments to them personally. We look forward to being of service to you again when next you visit San Diego.
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is great for the value. It was very clean and the service was perfect. It's location is also very good as its minutes from attractions, golf, shopping, dining and the beach. Our stay way amazing an we loved the room. I will stay at this hotel from now on when I travel to the San Diego area.

• Stayed June 2013
barbaraw387, Sales & Mktg. Coordinator at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review about your stay with us. We are pleased to be your hotel of choice when visiting San Diego and appreciate your comments on our accommodations, value, location and service. Thanks.