“A bit quirky but admirably efficient for a business meeting”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #180 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This place is a bit odd on first arrival, a conglomeration of buildings varying from rose garden cottages to 1960s style high rise in concrete. Rooms could use some major updates. However, numerous swimming pools and a convention center onsite make it a great destination for conferences and families. While it doesn't exude the atmosphere of a luxury resort it is difficult to fault anything specific and it certainly serves its purpose well.

Room Tip: Ask. They provided exactly the kind of room I asked for
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,710)

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I recently organized a meeting of the board of directors of a small non profit group. I contacted Town and Country who then provided rooms, a meeting facility, and golf reservations.

My groups plans changed repeatedly but the staff dealt cheerfully with each change and made the whole weekend a seamless affair.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful--mature tropical vegetation and flowers everywhere. The pool area and retaurants arre lovely.

The participants really ejoyed tho eir tower rooms. The meetingt rooms are light , airy , and well stocked.

I would recommend this resort to business travelers, organizations, and families.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Bottom line, as a manager you have one job, take care of customer issues. This place had no concern for the guest. Out of the 8 rooms booked, 5 had issues with the type of room. Non smoking put in really bad smoking rooms. When we confronted the manager, we were greeted with, "that's a request, not a guarantee.". Poor customer service.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is my first time staying at this hotel. Our first encounter was at the front desk checking in. We were appalled to notice in plain sight (at the check-in counter) a 16-page document detailing names of hotel guests along with their room numbers and parking locations! When we let the staff know, she picked up the document and proceeded to move it to a different part of the counter (still in plain view). We finally had to ask her to remove it as it contains confidential information (!) Our room was outdated, with a tiny bathroom that contains a chipped tub, dirty caulking, and rusty toilet. The TV is old and has poor reception. $10/day charge for WiFi. The pool area is small and fenced in (think apartment complex swimming pool) which made it uninviting Not at all the "resort" it claims to be.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank SammiKat
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed for two days and purchased the buffet breakfast with our room. We called the front desk because we couldn't find information about the breakfast. The clerk informed us that we could only get the breakfast through room service. We ordered and our breakfast arrived on time and as ordered. We ate in a rather warm room as the AC stopped working in the middle of the night. It was cool enough that it wasn't too bothersome until morning.

Day two the breakfast arrived on time, but they forgot part of the order.

At check out, I followed the signs at the lobby and parked where I wouldn't block the drive, but 3 other vehicles were blocking the drive. After waiting in line, the bell hop had me move my car. I mentioned that I parked correctly, that the other 3 cars did not. He replied that some people just don't follow directions and he couldn't do anything about it (but he had me move). Slightly irritated, we went to check out and we mentioned the breakfast to the clerk. She immediately said that the breakfast was ordered through room service and she had "nothing to do with it". They were charging us for the room service and for the buffet. The clerk explained that the buffet was different. We argued that it was their clerk that gave us the bad information. We had to describe the clerk in detail and another clerk at the desk finally said who they thought gave us bad info. The clerk helping us was now thoroughly irritating me and I asked to speak to the manager or a supervisor. She informed me that she was the manager, but didn't even have a name tag on. She tried to explain her position, but lacked the necessary language skills to properly convey her ideas to us. We argued some more and she started taking off charges, had to get information from the other clerk at the desk that I would think she should have known, and then informed us that we were responsible for paying the tax and delivery charge on the room service meal. We argued more and she would not relent. FINALLY, i just paid the bill, but it turns out they MISCHARGED us anyway and we need to argue some more with them.

Up to that point, it had been an enjoyable stay....the quietest hotel stay that I've ever had.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LEDETCoastie
SanDiegoHotel, Director of E Commerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

Dear ledetCoast, Please accept our sincere apologies for what appears to be a series of miscommunications from our staff here at the Town and Country. It is our top priority to make sure all of our guests experience the best in customer service during their stay, and I apologize if you experienced anything less.

I'd like to invite you to contact our Guest Relations manger Susana Weber at 619-291-2232 ext.7272 to discuss your stay with us and rectify any billing issues you still may have.

We are glad on the other hand that we could offer to you peace and quiet during your recent stay.
Warm Regards,
Terry Sobkowiak
Director of E Commerce

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I've stayed at the Town & Country Resort many times since the 1990’s for our annual Soo Bahk Do national tournament. In the past, my hotel experience was very pleasant and enjoyable. The front desk staff honored my 12 pm arrival and accommodated my request for late check out. It was much appreciated.
However, during my last several stays, I've noticed the level of service, food quality and room decor deteriorate. I agree with other reviewers that the rooms are outdated and in need of renovation. I always stay in a Tower room (which was very clean). However, the king size bed and pillows were uncomfortable and the bedding old and worn. The TV, which is not a flat screen, had horrible reception. My first night there I ordered room service (Chicken tacos). The dinner arrived cold and didn't include the rice and guacamole as indicated on the menu. I called room service and was told that they were out of rice and guacamole. Really? How can that be and if so, why didn't they call to let me know so that I could have chosen another meal? I asked for a discount on the dinner and was told that they couldn't accommodate that request. They offered to send me soup or dessert free of charge. I chose a cheese cake, which wasn't very good. I would have preferred the discount.
The food of the breakfast buffet for each four mornings that I ate there to be lukewarm. Aren't there food temperature laws in California? The selection wasn't as good as in previous years. Also, there was no toaster available to toast the bagels, etc. How about bringing back the toaster as part of the breakfast buffet? The coffee, supposedly Starbucks, was absolutely watery.
The Sunshine Deli, with its friendly staff, had a good selection of cold salads, but the lettuce wasn't as fresh as it could be. For the prices charged, the food quality and coffee served there should be better.
The first night (Wednesday) of my stay Charlie's was closed. Why?? We went to Kelly's for a drink and found the bartender and staff friendly and the drinks and appetizers good. However, the restaurant was really like stepping back into the 1960's. With a little bit of upgrading, it could be a great place instead of appearing old and sad. You can't exactly attract a younger crowd of people with that ambience.
On Saturday night, our convention group went to Charlie’s to celebrate. They tried to close the place at midnight despite that fact that we have a contract which that stated that they are to stay open until 2 am. We had to produce the actual contract to get them to stay open. Even then, there was some grumbling by the staff about having to stay open for a handful of people. We tried to order food before midnight and was told that they kitchen was closed. A group of us had to order delivery pizza to get food at that hour. Poor business. At least have the staff let its customers know that the kitchen is about to close. The general atmosphere at Charlie’s is not friendly.
As in the past, the grounds are beautiful and well maintained and the pools are clean. The Spa is excellent. It wouldn’t take much to have the Town and Country Resort a four star accommodation rather than a three star. It is the little things that make or break a hotel. Some attention to detail is needed to make it the great place that it deserves to be.

1  Thank gb333
Reviewed July 11, 2011

great time nice rooms fair rates the food was excellent and the kids loved the pool and free saturday night movie highly recommend

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
SanDiegoHotel, Director of ECommerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Dear Dmello, Thank you for taking the time to submit a review to Trip Advisor, we appreciate it very much! Sounds like you had a great time. We have just started our free movies on the lawn on Saturday's at the Town and Country and with our perfect summer nights they are quite popular. Hurry back!