“Bait and switch”

Ranked #194 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Michigan
“Bait and switch”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Booked a "garden room with patio or balcony" a couple months in advance.
Given a 1970's motel room with a view of a wall. The wall did have some ivy growing on it.
Nickel and dimed every time you turned around.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Polish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed at this Hotel because my company made arrangements for an excellent conference. I enjoyed my stay very much. I stayed in the Royal Palm Tower. It was a spacious room with a very comfortable king size poster bed. The bathroom was ample but had an extra sink and vanity area to dress after bathing. Tile/wood/carpet flooring No stains. No odors. Very clean. Housekeeping very polite and clean the room perfectly. I had a beautiful view of the pool and jacuzzi area. Lighting on the buildings and the beautiful roses, flowers, palms,and landscaping made my balcony view breathtaking.

Meals at Trellises were wonderful. I ate there almost everyday for under $13.00. Excellent service. Angelica and Patricia were especially nice waitresses at the restaurant. I hope Town and Country is aware how these two ladies bring enjoyment to the dining experience. I can not say enough kind words about these two people. "Bless both of you"

The shops on the hotel site are nice. A bit pricey. Personel staffing shop were terrific too.

Conference room was good. Good lighting. Audio and slides were effective and conducive to learning. Snacks and beverages were delicious. Staff was very quiet setting up the tables. No distractions from staff while listening to speakers or lectures etc..

Only disappointment was arriving the night before conference on Sunday, June 5th, 2011 was the young man at the front desk. There was a mix up with billing and he basically told us we had to do what he said or find elsewhere to stay. He also stated we were taking too much time and needed to hurry up. We were an inconvenience to him. VERY RUDE FRONT DESK CLERK!! The Manager stood at far end of desk and did not assist us and allowed this young man to speak to us in a very inappropriate way.Needless to say, our company sorted all the discrepancies and I never had to interact with that young man again. Check out was fine Staff polite and professional.

I would stay again and perhaps might do so this summer for leisure. Hotel close to local transportation, high end mall, and nice eateries outside hotel resort .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank CSmitthRN
SanDiegoHotel, Director of ECommerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
DearCSSmitthRN, Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Please let me take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for your experience at check-in. We are looking into the matter at this time. I am so glad to hear that you did enjoy the rest of your stay. I have sent your positive comments on our employees to them and their managers. You will not be surprised to learn we receive many excellent comments not only on the employees you mentioned but on many of out staff members. I am so glad to hear that on your return visit to San Diego you would choose to stay at the Town and Country. Hurry back!
California
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I imagine in 1965 this was the place to stay, but in 2011 not so much. There is a multi-story building and also many bungalows. We were there for a convention and the first night we stayed in the multi-story building. While they claimed it was newly remodeled it didn't look it. The carpet was 80's Dodger blue with blue floral bedspreads on a low, very flat mattress. It was pretty clean except for the random hairs on the bathroom floor. The biggest problem is the old sliding glass doors that would not close completely. This allowed for noise and cigarette smoke to come into our room. Not at all pleasant. After an uncomfortable first night we moved our room to the bungalows which were a big improvement. The room, although still had the ugly blue carpet, it did have a better bed and more attractive furnishings. The grounds are also nicer and most importantly, quieter.

Room Tip: Only stay in the bungalows.
2 Thank Goldtress
SanDiegoHotel, Director of E Commerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear Goldtress, Thank you for your candid review here on TripAdvisor. While we strive for complete guest satisfaction we sometimes miss. We are very sorry that we at the Town and Country did not meet or exceed your expectations. Please do give us another try on your return visit to San Diego.
Terry Sobkowiak
Director of E Commerce
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Came to this hotel for a business conference, as I guess do 90% of other visitors. As the other reviews show it is firmly stuck in 1981. The grounds are very pleasant, and it not a bad place to spend an afternoon in the sun. Bars and food on site are pretty average, and that being generous. The room was pretty substandard. Had a ground floor room in one of the blocks of rooms, and there was a pretty nasty smell the whole time. Water backed up in the bath, and the WC flushed only occasionally. Asked for maintenance, who did visit, but didn't make the situation much better, Since I was only here for three days, couldn't be bothered to repack and move rooms.
Not that I'm a shopper, but the place is very conveniently located for a big mall opposite, that you can safely walk to (footpath via the back of the hotel).

Overall, I can't imagine anyone coming here of their own free will!

2 Thank acl1495
Stevenson Ranch, California
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for a convention and it was very comfortable. Located in Hotel Circle, there are two types of accommodations: those rooms whose door face the hallway and one that face the street (like a standard motel). I stayed at the latter type of room. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were kept clean. There are rooms that are suites, but when I stayed there, our business used these suites as meeting rooms.

There are several places to eat on the property. I tried the steak house and it was very good. Overall, this was a good hotel to stay at. The staff was very friendly and it's good value for the money.

1 Thank Stephanus S
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I recently returned from a weekend trip to the T&C, and like usual everything was great. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly front desk agent. We were quickly checked in and while we were checking in I had some questions about the San Diego marathon, they were more than willing to assist us with every question we had. The grounds were awesome, we would spend our mornings and nights lounging in the pool or in the courtyard relaxing to the sounds and smells you experience here. We ate at the steakhouse, the service and food was good. I spent a couple of nights in the sports bar, cold beer and the bartendar and chicken wings were great. The location was perfect, we utilized the trolley, as well as the easy access via highway to beaches and downtown. Everynight was a great nights sleep, the rooms were nice. Anytime I am in SD I stay at the T&C.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank KPE317
DearKPE317, First all congratulations if you ran the Rock n Roll Marathon! Thank you also for taking the time to post such a positive review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate it very much. We are so glad that we could offer to you such a relaxing and enjoyable stay at the Town and Country and that you were able to take advantage of the many amenities on property. We thank you again and look forward to your return to San Diego and the Town and Country.
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Rude people in every department from sales (promised things he didnt deiver) to Trellises manager. Ghetto. Disgusting filthy rooms (roaches), tasteless food, outdated decor, uncomfortable beds with scratchy bedspreads, ugly flowered patterns everywhere you turn, musty smell, loud noise outside and paper thin walls. Should I go on? Overpriced rooms, charges for net, gym, fridge, food should be free for the horrible quality. Seriously would rather sleep on the street than stay here again. This place will not survive much longer without a few million to tear it down and rebuild. Oh and, dont let them fool you into thinking you will get a flat screen tv in your room. They are very deceptive.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank welltraveledgirlus
Dear welltraveler, Thank you for your candid review here on TripAdvisor. We'd like to get some more information from you so we can address your stay. Please contact our Guest Relations Manager, Susana Weber at 619.291-2232 ext.7272. We look forward to hearing from you.
Terry Sobkowiak