“Disgusted”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #194 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Disgusted”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Rude people in every department from sales (promised things he didnt deiver) to Trellises manager. Ghetto. Disgusting filthy rooms (roaches), tasteless food, outdated decor, uncomfortable beds with scratchy bedspreads, ugly flowered patterns everywhere you turn, musty smell, loud noise outside and paper thin walls. Should I go on? Overpriced rooms, charges for net, gym, fridge, food should be free for the horrible quality. Seriously would rather sleep on the street than stay here again. This place will not survive much longer without a few million to tear it down and rebuild. Oh and, dont let them fool you into thinking you will get a flat screen tv in your room. They are very deceptive.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank welltraveledgirlus
SanDiegoHotel, Director of E Commerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear welltraveler, Thank you for your candid review here on TripAdvisor. We'd like to get some more information from you so we can address your stay. Please contact our Guest Relations Manager, Susana Weber at 619.291-2232 ext.7272. We look forward to hearing from you.
Terry Sobkowiak
Director of ECommerce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I stayed with my wife at the Town and Country Hotel last weekend. The Grounds are impeccably maintained with the most beautiful roses you will ever see in one place.
The Food and service at Trellises steak house was outstanding. Robin's staff was on top of their game and every detail to attention was there.
The beds were very comfy and rooms spacious.
Breakfast at the Pool cafe was very good and service was prompt.
Hope you enjoyed it like we did.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank thedom1234
SanDiegoHotel, Director of E Commerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear thedom123, Thank you for your wonderful review of the Town and Country Resort Hotel, we appreciate the positive comments on our beautiful grounds, pool area and restaurants.
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! Hurry Back.
Terry Sobkowiak, Director of ECommerce
California
Reviewed June 5, 2011

...I was quite worried about staying at the hotel I "won" on Priceline. Many of the good points were very good, including the lovely landscaped grounds and flowers. Parking was not an issue for me, but I did see folks driving around asking if anyone was leaving a space. Check-in was efficient, but coldly so. The lady checking me in just would not recognize that a person was standing before her. Yet the check-in person next to us was warm and friendly, even offering a discount on parking to a couple checking in. My person made no such offer.
The room was clean, although dated. The shower was fine with plenty of hot water. However, it was exceptionally noisy, being near the parking lot and the freeway. Loud parties were heard as late as 2 am. The room had louvered windows, which made no sense with the noise issues so prominent.
Parking attendants were universally friendly, and I enjoyed the short walk to the mall. I did take the number for Susana Weber (see responses to reviews) with me, but I doubt that I could reach her late on a Saturday night to see about a quieter room.

Room Tip: I don't have one!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank guyinca
SanDiegoHotel, Director of ECommerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Dear Guyinca, Thank you for posting your candid review of the Town and Country on Trip Advisor. We apologize that we did not meet or exceed your expectations during your stay. Please know that we do not all of the comments we receive from guests seriously and that all comments and suggestions are reviewed by all department heads. Please do give us another try the next time your travels bring you to San Diego. You mentioned you did take the number of our guest relations manager, Susana Weber. Please do not hesitate to contact her at 619-291-2232 prior to your next visit to San Diego.
Warm regards, Terry Sobkowiak
Newburgh, Indiana
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The grounds of the hotel are spectacular. When you first arrive, you honestly feel as though you're arriving at an upscale, 4 star resort. However, the workers at the front desk quickly dispel those thoughts. They are rude and very unhelpful They behaved as though they were doing me a favor to let me spend my $125 per night there. Then, they informed me that the room I booked was not available, and that it was a "first come, first served" basis on the rooms. Believe me, that was not stated up front. Anyhow, the room I checked in to was dated with 1970's Queen Anne style furnishings, complete with a little 25" square TV. The carpet is royal blue, and there were enough stains on it to make me believe it had once served as an oil change shop. I will say, though, that the rooms were clean. I promptly asked to be moved to a balcony room, which became available the second day of our stay (2 of 5 nights). My teenage son loved the heated pool, and the meeting rooms were very nice. So, overall...the grounds and the meeting space was great. The rooms are terribly outdated, and the customer service sucked. The location of the hotel is very good, and very convenient to the mall, restaurants, and the Trolley.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank STLCardinalFan
Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I just returned from a stay at the Town and Country Resort. We were placed in a garden room facing the parking lot. The room itself was small, the bathroom miniscule. There was hardly enough room to put your toothbrush on the bathroom counter. The corner of the countertop dug into my back everytime I used the commode and I am a petite woman! The room did have a small table outside the bathroom to use for your toiletries. That was the first issue we had with the room.
The second issue was lighting. The room was very dark, it had one lamp on the nightstand, a small overhead light over the table and a candelabra style fixture mounted on the wall near the bathroom. The sheers could not be opened, making the room even darker. I could not do any work in the room due to the low level of lighting. I would have to sit on the doorstep, with the door open to be able to see my work.
The third issue was the in room internet which we paid extra for its use. The connection was painfully slow and many pages would not load.
The decor of the rooms is very dated. The carpeting was a dark blue and the bedspreads a loud floral.
The hotel did have its pluses. The grounds are stunningly beautiful with thousands of flowering rose bushes and plants. It was a pleasure to take walks every morning on the property. The pool areas were attractive and well maintained, We enjoyed being able to sleep with our windows open and loved the cool weather San Diego was experiencing during our visit.
Within a five minute walk is a very large mall with a food court and sit down restaurants. San Diego's light rail system is also located at the mall and is easy to use. We took the trolley to Old Town for $5 round trip.
The hotel could really use a major overhaul of its decor, keeping in mind that they are a conference center and should address the issues that may prevent guests from performing work tasks in their rooms.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank wanderinggreek
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I don't use the term "dump" lightly. This place has many different buildings...good luck if you get stuck in one of the older ones. If you are under 55 and travel at all, you will be disappointed. Some of the words I'd use are old, tired, outdated, unkept and in major need of an overhaul. Who charges extra these days for things like wifi and the gym??? Only places that are in danger of going belly up is the answer.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Kzootravel
SanDiegoHotel, Director of ECommerce at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear Kzootravel; We have read your response and are very disapointed to learn you did not enjoy your stay at the Town and Country. Please accept our apologies. We do have many bulidings and we are speread out over 32 beautifully lanscaped acres. Our gym amd health club are extensive so we do charge a nominal fee along with a small daily fee for interent. i have passed thease comments along to the approiate department personal for their review. Please know that we do review all of our guest commnets and do apprectaite them.
Terry Sobkowiak
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Like scene from a 70s flix. Kinda creepy if you stay alone. The art on the wall with the girl is trippy.

• Stayed May 2011