“Great customer service”

Marina Inn and Suites
Ranked #183 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Came down with the wife for the last day of ComicCon. I found the people behind the desk very helpful. Especially John. I'd forgotten my ComicCon tickets so he suggested I email him the link so he could print them out for me. He was also very attentive and caught that one of the tickets I emailed him didn't have a barcode (which I needed), so I resent it to him and he printed it out again. The room was clean. And the location was great, being only a couple of minutes walk from the Harbor Front. This is essentially a small, two story motel, not a hotel, but it's a good one. It has your basic amenities, HBO, wi-fi, and a bare-bones continental breakfast - wrapped muffins, fruit, cereal and porridge, plus coffee and orange juice. The room was expensive, but it was ComicCon and every jacks up their prices for it. And it was actually the cheapest one I could find on Hotwire. So no complaints.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

There is nothing under $200 available for the week of Comic Con (7/21-7/25) in San Diego, we were pleasantly surprise to find this hotel with a kids' suite (bunk beds in a separate room) under $200 per night. Having two queen beds and a separate bunk bed was great for our sleeping comfort!
The hotel location was just right close to all the public transportation (trolley, Amtrak) and one block from the Comic Con bus route, which saves us rental car and parking money. You can hear the trains at times, especially when Amtrak honks its horn. However, we see it as a trade off of convenience and we would rather have the convenience. So overall, it was not a problem for us.
I read the reviews by other customers beforehand and remembered John was mentioned as the most friendly staff member. Indeed, he was the one greeted us when we check-in and every morning. He made us feel right at home.
The continental breakfast was sufficient for us to do a "brunch", there were muffins, coffee, OJ, milk, cereal etc., the best was the hard boiled egg. It was served at their very compacted lobby area, but everything was clean and well-presented.
Probably the only thing I would comment is the newly painted kid's suite still has the paint smell, and it could become bothersome if you have the window closed. If you do not open all windows (3) in the room, sometimes the ventillation gets bad.
This is not a Marriott or Hilton (can't even get in this week, or at $400 a night), however, very much a true-to-value stay for our travel. Will recommend for stay.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

This motel is located minutes from downtown and the gaslamp quarter, and seconds from little italy. The rates were reasonable, and the rooms were clean, but it was the service that stood out for us. Emily at the front desk was very helpful in recommending a place for us to dine that evening, and my husband and I ended up having a lovely and romantic first night in San Diego.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My wife and I went to San diego this past weekend and we stayed
at the Marina Inn and Suites. My wife is very particular about where
she stays but she loved this place. The hotel was great, offered many amenities,
close to the airport, and the rates were reasonable in comparison to other
hotels in the nearby area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Had a great stay here. Emily fixed a registration error in a matter of minutes and John was helpful when it came to directions and suggestions for places to visit.
I was busy during my stay, so I was tired at night; planes, trains, and automobiles had no effect on my ability to get sleep.
The only suggestion I would make as a change to the room is more comfortable pillows.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Great little inn, walking distance to the waterfront, downtown etc. Friendly staff (Manager John and the housekeepers). Great value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2010

First we cancelled a reservation from (Harborview Inn & Suites) that was horrible so we left before we even got in and unknown if we will be getting our money back from that one at this time. We were very glad that we did not let the first place ruin our vacation. We drove around and found this hotel and were welcomed by "John" he was very friendly and helpful. The location was in a busy area but convenient. Right by the Harbor and Ferry as well as the ship Museum that we all enjoyed. This was also close to a variety of Restraunts.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family