“Rough but Fair”

Marina Inn and Suites
Ranked #184 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 22, 2005

Nobody is perfect, and when you are booking a $100 per night hotel in San Diego you get what you pay for.

The service isn't sterling, but it's not outwardly rude either. The Keepers are simply functional in their job duties so if you keep your expectations level you won't be dissapointed.

The room was probably a bit below average. I'd measure it at about 10X15 and was very average in it's appointments. The bed was large and fairly comfortable, there was no microwave or coffee maker, but they did give me an iron and board for my entire 5 day stay. Basically the room was cramped but not uncomfortable.

The location has it's ups and downs as well. Planes land less than a mile away and the train runs about 100 yards in the other direction. Pacific Blvd is never quiet and the neighborhood isn't upscale. That said - I never felt as though my sleep was interrupted or that I was in a particularly seedy part of town.

The bottom line here is that if you book this place you have no business expecting top tier appointments and service. It's a $100 motel in San Diego. I enjoyed my stay knowing that the extra C-note per night was spent on enjoying my time in one of America's best cities.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Marina Inn and Suites

Clovis, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2005

The staff was rude on the phone and they hung up on me when I called to confirm my reservation (they reserved the wrong room type). In person, the staff was very unfriendly and cold. The room was badly in need of repairs. The smoke detector cover was missing and there was no battery attached. The list goes on. The only reason I stayed here was that the San Diego Marathon was going on and so there were no hotels available for 20 miles. In hindsight, I should have stayed 20 miles away.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2005

Our room was in serious need of renovation, had a strong stench of smoke even though it was a no smoking room, burns in the curtains and TV screen, and black mold almost covering the entire bathroom floor, extreemly tight parking, and train crossing nearby.

• Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank marcmalano
Twenty-nine palms, CA
Reviewed March 14, 2005

I made a reservation on Jan. 15, 2005 to stay one night on Jan. 27. The website quoted one price, the hotel called me back and wanted to charge me an extra $10 for the same room. I received a confirmation e-mail for Jan. 27 for what the website quoted as the price. I cancelled the reservation on Jan. 18. I looked at my credit card bill and noticed a charge to the Marina Inn & Suites on Feb. 28, 2005. I called and spoke to the owners and they insisted that I had a reservation on Feb. 27! I had no proof of this reservation, and they will not help me out! I'm cancelling my credit card. This establishment is very untrustworthy and practices very shady business deals.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Netherlands
Reviewed February 3, 2005

As a visitor from Europe I've never seen a dump like this before. Outsmoked rooms, forgotten underware of the last run away guest in the closet, and a rude, cheating porter who rips you off your money ($145 a night)
people beware, there are better and cheaper places to stay in SD.
If you are suicidal this is the place to be, Noisy from the front by heavy trucks and from the back by amtrack (blow the whistle boy).
Tear this place down please
(I moved over to the Bristol hotel after the second night -- it was 3 stars better and cheaper)

• Stayed: December 2003, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed May 14, 2004

If you are looking for a mold-smelling bathroom (an attempted paint job to cover it up on the bathroom ceiling), a large rusty ring aroung the bathtub drain, dingy white towels, a bathroom door that has to be slammed in order to close it, a desk chair that will fall apart when sat in, claims to have free phone calls which was advertised on their website, however, I was charged $0.50 per call, then this is it. I would NEVER recommend this establishment to anyone!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed April 26, 2004

Stayed for 1 week, good service and good location at a great price. Some noice from trains and street traffic. Close to marina, downtown, busses and trains.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member