“Great Place!”

Ranked #29 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Edmonton
“Great Place!”
Reviewed September 3, 2007

I recently spent 4 nights at the Westgate with my wife and two teenage boys. The first thing you notice as you enter the lobby is how tastefully it's decorated. It is a very classy look. The room was very spacious although queen sized beds would have been a little more comfortable than the " oversized doubles ". I advise you to stay as high up as possible as the view of the downtown is spectacular and the traffic can get a little noisy. The hotel offers a very convenient shuttle service to and from the airport and to attractions like the zoo and seaworld. The location is close to the Gaslamp district, Horton Plaza and is adjacent to the train system. All in all a great experience.

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank yikes1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Glendale, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Stayed one night at the Westgate. They were very full due to weddings and conferences, but they still upgraded our room, gave us a quiet, upper floor and treated us like royalty. Also got free shuttle service to the Old Globe Theater and back. We'll stay there again for certain!

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the way the rooms are configured, you will hear your neighbors coming and going
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank D-co
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I was very impressed with the Westgate Hotel. The entire area of the hotel and its double door entry way was impressive (security). My bedroom overlooked the Skyline of San Diego, which was just beautiful. However, my Chargers back pack was stolen out of my room. There was only one person who could have taken the backpack and that was the maid.

Now ask yourself one many simple questions. 1. If the remote control to the television set was placed at the foot of the bed before we went shopping. Why on earth was it at the head of the bed on the floor where it could not be reached. I had to forcibly place my arm between the bed and floor to retrieve it. 2. Why did the maid know where the remote was on the floor at the foot of the bed. Answer: My Chargers backpack was in the vicinity. 3. Most travelers know, when a remote control is found by the maid in the room. They place it back on the entertainment center, not the head of the bed on the floor. 4. The investigation by Law Enforcement standards was weak. The fact that they (management) were more concerned about not being liable than locating my backpack was really disappointing. In all my medication, camera, jewelry, passport, address book and other miscellaneous items were taken without consent.

No question in my mind the Hotel is beautiful and quaint. However, the lack of cameras in the hall way. The double doors leading into the rooms shield any wrong doing by its workers. You are suspect to being ripped off and management won’t care. I am pretty sure I am not the only person to stay at the Westgate Hotel to be ripped off. However, being a native of San Diego and being ripped off by a green card holder or illegal alien really ticked me off. Therefore I suggest you stay elsewhere. Make sure you lock all your baggage away before you leave your room.

Good Luck . . .

• Liked — The Bathroom
  • Disliked — Bags being stolen and the lack of concerns by management
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank Netranger808
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Great experience! I booked a room at the Westgate at the last minute for a July 4th overnight. We arrived, dressed *very* casually, in their elegant lobby, and were treated well anyway. Concierge was most helpful in identifying spots to view fireworks.

Room was lovely, great view, no traffic noise. Parking valets were efficient and polite, and we took the car out several times during our short stay.

Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2007
2 Thank coasttocoast2
London
Reviewed June 12, 2007

I loved the Westgate hotel and thank you to San Diego expert who posted a reply and advised me about the Westgate when I was looking for a hotel in San Diego. The Sunday brunch was one of the best I have ever encountered on my travels. Staff were helpful although the doormen were a little dour. I would throughly recommend the Westgate Hotel.

Stayed May 2007
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2007

The Westgate is a lovely hotel no doubt about that. It has wonderful decorations throughout the hotel. My room had me feeling like royality. It is an upper class, elegant hotel. My problem w/ the hotel was when I arrived the parking was full and no one tried to help me w/ parking my car. I was told to park it on the street but get up early to move it by 6:00am or drive around and see what you can find. This was at 12:00am and I am a female, in downtown, in a not so nice area! I tried to explain, but got the "thats your problem" attitude. Thank goodness I have a brain and ended up going to a close hotel asking to park in their garage. On the way walking back two men started CHASING me I ran into the hotel and told them and they started to laugh and did nothing. I come to San Diego yearly for business, this year I stayed at the Sheraton and had a much better exprience. It is not all glitzy as Westgate, but it is SAFE and that is whats most important! This hotel is in a bad area and they do not even try to help their guests, shame on you Westgate!

Stayed May 2006
4 Thank ExplorerNyc
elk grove, ca
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Just returned from a two night stay at the Westgate. Staff was friendly and helpful. We asked for the large birthday cake we brought to be refrigerated, was immediately handed a claim check and told it would be taken care of. It was. I asked a clerk at the front desk for a plastic bag to hold ice to cool my knee after the marathon – she reached into a drawer and handed me one.

The location is excellent. The rooms are large enough and comfortable. Maid service and room service were first rate. Our picky teenage niece who joined us was very impressed with the whole operation.

Small complaints: Noise from the streets and parties below does slip through the sliding glass doors. We had to call twice for someone to unlock the door to our adjoining rooms. The complimentary coffee just off the lobby was barely warm. There is a nice shower with great water pressure, but no tub.

All in all, we really like this hotel and will stay here again.

Stayed June 2007