“Comfortable Older Hotel”
Review of The Westgate Hotel

The Westgate Hotel
Ranked #51 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I enjoyed my weekend stay at Westgate. For the $139 per night I paid, it was a bargain. Yes, the rooms will remind you of your grandma's decor, but they're very large and comfortable. My room was very quiet on the 7th floor. I appreciated the free bottles of water and the turndown service with chocolates. The hotel is just a short 3-4 blocks to Gaslamp which I walked alone and felt perfectly safe. The people were helpful at the front desk when I had questions. The $28 per day valet parking charge was a ripoff, but I knew it before I booked. I would stay here again for this price.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank PK6
Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed September 26, 2009

The grand dame has seen its day and she needs an update. We booked on hotwire and got a killer deal. The location was said to be in the “glasslamp district” but its not. Its on the train tracks in the center of downtown San Diego across the street from Horton Plaza. The hotel looks like an office building and when you walk into the lobby, it feels like it should smell of old lady roses bath salts with classical music coming from the baby grand right inside the doorway. The staff, if you could find someone, was nice but not helpful with recommendations on where to dine, where to park, etc. There was no one on duty we were told when we asked about valet parking and or baggage assistance. The room was big and clean but OLD. Very old glam chintz floral on top of floral on top of floral – reminded us of an old out of date European hotel in a medium size city.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ascavecreek
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Stayed at the Westgate after getting a supurb rate on hotwire. Hotel is located with easy distance to the Gaslamp quarter's many restaurants and bars. Shopping is convenient with HBorton Plaza on your doorstep. A seven eleven is two minutes away to stock up on drinks and snacks. There is a bus stop outside the hotel which we used to transport us to and from the zoo and Coronado.
Check in was a breeze and receptionist was extremely helpful. Room was large and offered excellent views of the city from a very wide but narrow balcony. The room's desk was placed in fronmt of the panoramic window. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was clean and refined. Had just stayed in the Venetian 5 star in Vegas - this hotel was far superior in terms of refinement and customer service. would highly recommend and would stay again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ballymoneykaz
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This was a beautiful, classy hotel in a fantastic location. The rooms were huge and very clean. We had a nice bathroom with a separate sink and vanity area. There was a sliding glass door that allows you to squeeze out onto a very small balcony, but we had a great view of the Coronado bridge and downtown.
The staff was very nice. They let us check in hours early with no problems. There is only valet parking at $28 a night (with in and out privileges), however they let us go to a late breakfast for a few hours the morning we checked out and did not charge us for a second day of valet.
The hotel is right in downtown- a block away from Horton Plaza and a few blocks away from tons of restaurants and stores. Inside the lobby are huge chandeliers, a piano, and a nice sitting area. The hotel has a high tea for $28-$32 in the lobby (make reservations) and a restaurant on site. It has a small fitness room, but does not have a pool.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Milly113
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Pros:
Cost, we bid on Priceline with a recommendation from biddingfortravel.com and got a rate of only $71, a STEAL for Labor day weekend.
Room, large, luxuriously appointed, serviced well and regularly (turn down service), and they even placed our daughter's stuffed animals on the bed as if they were going to sleep.
Location, right across the street from the mall, a block from the back end of the Gaslamp
Customer Service, everyone was very friendly, from valet to front desk, to concierge, to security (we left two items behind in the room, and they searched for them and are sending them back)

Cons:
Parking, valet only, and is a bit expensive at $28/day, however, after paying $71 a night I wouldn't complain much but would be if I were paying a rack rate.
A/C, even though engineering came when called, we could never seem to get the A/C cold enough until the temp outside actually went down
Restaurant, fare was too complex for our simple palate, and was the only option
Gift shop, wasn't manned or open, a sign said to see front desk if you wanted anything (but there is a 7-11 across the street and a CVS nearby at the mall)
No pool, it would have been nice to have been able to take a dip in the unseasonably hot San Diego weather, but we knew this going into it.

Overall it was a quiet hotel, but a very nice stay. If you are a business traveler, might be your best bet.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank christyankrom
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel is very nice and clean, but for me not a top-notch property. It's like staying at a Wyndham or similar hotel. It would be nice to have a coffeemaker in the room and a fridge would be nice. There is a mini-bar, but you have to call room-service to unlock it. I would like to have a place to keep a chilled bottle of wine or soda. My other beef is with the valet. The hotel's lot fills up and can't accommodate all the guests' vehicles. I took my car out in the evening and asked the valet if I would have any problem when I came back later in the evening and he said "you shouldn't." Well I know I shouldn't, but when I returned at midnight the valets were gone and the lot was full. I found an employee to take my car, but he was looking around like he was looking for a place to park it on the street. Not acceptable when you're paying $28 per day just to park your car.

The hotel is right across from Horton Plaza, so shopping and restaurants are nearby. (Don't miss the St. Tropez bakery/cafe across the street for breakfast). Unlike most hotels whose windows only open a crack, all the rooms have sliding glass doors that open, which is great to get the fresh air. But overall its published rates are outrageously high for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2009

The only thing that stops me giving this one 5* is that they only have valet parking (ie. no self park) and they charge $28 per day which I think is highway robbery.

Apart from that, this hotel is simply lovely. Beautifully maintained, excellent service, huge rooms, and fantastic location in the heart of San Diego, one block from the restaurant precinct, and right in front of the Westfield (which I think is a crappy mall, but apparently it's the best in SD).

I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo