“Not a 4-star”
Review of The Westgate Hotel

The Westgate Hotel
Ranked #44 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel is very nice and clean, but for me not a top-notch property. It's like staying at a Wyndham or similar hotel. It would be nice to have a coffeemaker in the room and a fridge would be nice. There is a mini-bar, but you have to call room-service to unlock it. I would like to have a place to keep a chilled bottle of wine or soda. My other beef is with the valet. The hotel's lot fills up and can't accommodate all the guests' vehicles. I took my car out in the evening and asked the valet if I would have any problem when I came back later in the evening and he said "you shouldn't." Well I know I shouldn't, but when I returned at midnight the valets were gone and the lot was full. I found an employee to take my car, but he was looking around like he was looking for a place to park it on the street. Not acceptable when you're paying $28 per day just to park your car.

The hotel is right across from Horton Plaza, so shopping and restaurants are nearby. (Don't miss the St. Tropez bakery/cafe across the street for breakfast). Unlike most hotels whose windows only open a crack, all the rooms have sliding glass doors that open, which is great to get the fresh air. But overall its published rates are outrageously high for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed August 29, 2009

The only thing that stops me giving this one 5* is that they only have valet parking (ie. no self park) and they charge $28 per day which I think is highway robbery.

Apart from that, this hotel is simply lovely. Beautifully maintained, excellent service, huge rooms, and fantastic location in the heart of San Diego, one block from the restaurant precinct, and right in front of the Westfield (which I think is a crappy mall, but apparently it's the best in SD).

I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This hotel reminded me of the Waldorf. Very elegant and European feel. I personally would prefer a hip W type of hotel, but this hotel was still very nice. Nice comfy robes. Large bathroom and sink area. My AC was not working when I first checked in, and someone came to fix it within 30 minutes. Great location as well! Right in the middle of downtown SD and by shopping.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed for two nights using Priceline ($72/night with help from Biddingfortravel site.). The parking fee is a little steep, but can't beat the convenience. Overall it's an old fashioned hotel, very refined and had nice features (you can you're in a hotel in Paris with the linen and upholstery). The rooms are a little odd sized, fitting the continental Europe model. There's a little too much empty space that is not used. Great views of the San Diego bay though and close proximity to all the major sights around Downtown, very convenient.
One negative is soundproofing is very poor. There was some type of Mexican night club or music down the street and the music was booming until 1 AM! Fortunately it was quiet after that, although you do hear all of the police sirens in the neighborhood (we stayed in the higher floors too).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2009

This is a lovely hotel, not far from the Convention Center (but still a bit of a trek). While over-priced, I had no fault with the staff or room. The staff was pleasant and helpful, and the manager wore the most beautiful saris every day. There is a work-out room.

One of my friends and I had the afternoon tea, which was delightful and surprisingly filling. A harpist played while we ate. It was very pleasant and relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend with our 5 year old son and my mother, sister and neice (8). We had two rooms which were on the same floor. We were worried about the service when we called to say we would be late checking in because we were lost. We were offered reassurance that all was being held for us but no offer was forthcomming to help us find our way there. Once we got there the hotel redemed itself with the swift assistance to our rooms. By the time check-in was complete we arrived at our rooms to find the bell man waiting with all of our luggage. He took our key opened both sets of doors and set our luggage into the closet. He pointed out the ammenities and left. Very efficent.
The room was wonderful. Very comfortable. We were starved when we arrived and it was almost 11pm but we ordered room service. We were supprised that it arrived in 20 minutes cooked to order. i did not catch the waiters name but he seated us like we were in a resturant. I almost forgot i was in a bathrobe! The food was quite good. The monte christo was tasty with 4 choices of jam and the burger was cooked perfectly. I enjoyed the Free starbucks coffee downstairs in the lounge in the morning. We chose not to have breakfast there but oppted for the Hob Nob Hill Cafe Ask for directions. Wonderful place!
the children loved spending time here and we had to drag them away to Sea World. The only thing that would have made it perfect is a pool.
We were able to get this amazing place for $85 a night on Priceline. It was an amazing steal. The gracious hospitality and the beautiful suroundings make it a place I would love to return to.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the Westgate for four nights in early August. We were in San Diego for a family wedding. Many activities were planned all over the San Diego area. The Westgate, located in downtown on the edge of the Gaslamp District, proved to be a very convenient starting point for all of them. I never had to drive more than 15 minutes to get anywhere.

Our room was just beautiful. It was large, really large. I loved the dressing room that was separate from the bath. The shower had a seat, which is always a nice touch. The 2 queen beds were comfortable, the turndown service included two bottles of water and a full ice bucket as well as the usual chocolates on the pillow, the furnishings were well upolstered and plush. We could open our sliders and step out onto a narrow balcony (big enough to stand on but not big enough to accomodate a chair or table) with a lovely view of downtown, with the harbour visible in the distance. I found everything to be very clean. Another poster commented on the interesting "suite-like" configuration wherein there is a main door from the hallway that opens onto a foyer for two rooms across from each other. It certainly helps keep things quiet. Also, there was free, high-speed wireless internet in the room, which is something upon which I am becoming increasingly dependent when I travel.

I had no problems with service. Check-in was smooth and we were directed immediately to our room in spite of having arrived several hours prior to the posted check-in time. Upon arrival in the room, I found that the airconditioning was not working. I called housekeeping and a repair person was in and out of the room within half an hour, and we had no further difficulties. I have never stayed anywhere with more efficient valet service. Even on weekend evenings when there are events at the hotel, I never waited more than a minute or two to take the car out. Rather than pulling up in front of the hotel, I always just drove the car down to the garage and left the key with the valet so there was never a wait at drop-off.

The Westgate's style is definitely on the old-fashioned side in terms of style and furnishings. It is not in any way faded or run-down, but there are crystal chandeliers and gilt and embroidered upolsteries...think French Provincial. If modern, streamlined, less-is-more surroundings are more to your taste, then you may not like this much. Other family members (male) who also stayed there found it, while comfortable, a bit "stuffy."

The hotel is not quite a luxury hotel if the Georges V is your standard. There is the little something extra that the very best hotels offer mising here, but at $179/night for three (Thurs., Fri. and Sat.) nights and $209.00 for one (Sun.) night, it felt pretty darn luxurious to me! I should mention that there is a $28/night fee for parking. But even with the parking it was cheaper than many less well appointed properties. In all honesty, it was a steal! If I had a tour of the accomodations in advance and was asked to guess the price per night, I would have guessed in the $350-$400 range.

I would most definitely consider staying at the Westgage on my next trip to San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family