8 people are viewing this hotel
$499
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Official Hotel
Expedia.com$480
Priceline$499
Lol.travel$528
1,172 results
All reviews shraddha carlin horton plaza gaslamp district beautiful hotel rooftop pool rooms are large light sleeper mini fridge fitness center concierge lobby parking valet trolley fees hallway conference
Selected filters
Reviewed May 3, 2015

I chose to stay here based on memories of staying here previously 10 years ago. It was every bit as beautiful as I remembered, although the room I had years ago had a larger bathroom with two separate places to shower/bathe (maybe a different type of room). The room itself is more spacious than in other hotels. The beds were soft, with hotel turn down service, so we found the bedspreads folded and piled on the side each night. Soft music is playing and there are chocolates on the pillow and a bathrobe laid out for you. There is a nice dressing area with large amount of counter space. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant was a good amount of food for the price. It is very close to Horton plaza, but there is some walking to do to get to the convention center (maybe the reason why it costs less). The rooftop pool is very nice. However, it is far enough away that the noise from the Gaslamp Quarter nightlife on the weekends is not too loud. Hotel staff make themselves available to you on arrival and are prompt for valet. I hardly saw the housekeeping service in the hallways, but I could tell they had replenished supplies in our room. Water is free, and ice is provided each night in the ice bucket. Refrigerator available in the rooms. Wifi functioned without problems!

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank JYEng1
Reviewed April 30, 2015 via mobile

I stayed at the west gate hotel about a year ago. I stayed there with my
Now fiancé and another couple. Stayed there to goto the horn blower and get engaged, It was great. Perfect place. We got our rooms next to each other. I liked how there was a door into our rooms making it some what like a sweet with our own hallway. The staff was nice and they rooms were beautiful.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2VJOHNSON9
Reviewed April 25, 2015

Much is said in the other reviews about the "Old World" appearance and charm, and I couldn't agree more, but the best part of the Westgate experience is the people with whom you interact. The staff, including the concierge, have always been wonderful. I have stayed here several times, and I am have reserved rooms again in May. The complaints about the sound, while sometimes true, would be the same in any hotel, if there is construction or unruly guests. The rooms are quite large, and the location is incredible. There was a complaint (bad news) about the trolley noise, but the (good news) is the trolley is directly behind the hotel, and you can take it all over the city. If you take the train to San Diego, you just cross the street and take the trolley two stops to the hotel - or jump on to go to the Padres games. It is right on the cusp of the Gaslamp District, with 16 + blocks of restaurants, and directly across the street from Horten Plaza Mall. I think it is the best choice for a San Diego stay. By the way, try the pancakes, they melt in your mouth, and definitely try Dobson's Restaurant across the street for the famous Mussel Bisque en Croute...

Room tip: Upper floors, facing the Bay
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank afser66
Reviewed April 23, 2015

I stayed at the Westgate last May while I was in town for the NAFSA San Diego conference. I must say I didn't really expect much because I knew it was an older hotel. I was pleased to find that the both the room and the service were still up to par. This hotel is quite elaborate. The lobby looks like a old world European hotel. The rooms however are large with excellent amenities. I had a nice view of downtown from mine.

I found the staff here to be super helpful. There was a woman working at the service desk who sat down with me on my first day and gave me a whole orientation of downtown, including all the details I needed for my conference. I liked the location of the hotel a lot, given that it is walking distance from the Gaslamp Quarter and (a little further out) the convention center, but is still a bit away from the craziness of all the bars and restaurants.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2015 via mobile

The Westgate is a nice, somewhat worn hotel. The staff is very friendly. Big room and good bed. The noise coming from traffic is enormous. From 5 am the trams are sounding their horns non-stop. This problem needs to be addressed- the winsows do not isolate for noise.

Trip type: Traveled on business