“Beautiful hotel, attentive service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westgate Hotel

The Westgate Hotel
Ranked #30 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Washington State
“Beautiful hotel, attentive service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

We ended up staying here due to the conference we were attending being held in this hotel. The hotel is beautiful, with many of the pieces of furniture and artwork in the lobby being imported from France. Everyone on staff was very courteous and professional. One of the issues we often run into in hotels is the A/C in the room. My husband likes it very cool, and in many hotels, the units are these eyesores shoved up under the window that don't cool efficiently, or are horribly loud. Our room in the Westgate had floor-to-ceiling windows. The central A/C was controlled by a small thermostat on the wall and was virtually silent, but dropped the temperature extremely quickly and effectively. The bathrooms are very nice - that antique French feel but with all of the modern amenities. They have a turn-down service every night which was a treat. The only complaint we had - and it's really a minor one - was that they have ice buckets in the room, but no ice machines in the building. You have to call down to the front desk to ask them for ice. It took us 2 phone calls and 20 minutes to get ice, which was a bit frustrating, and then there is the issue of tipping the staff member who brings up the silver ice bucket in his coat and tie. I'd be happy to run get my own ice for free... But in their defense, any time we called down for something, they would at some point soon thereafter call the room to ensure our request had been fulfilled. The prices for the rooms are a bit steep normally, but they were offering a deal due to the length of our stay, so it became fairly reasonable among the nice Gaslamp hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wife&Mom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

My first time traveling to California was a great experience. San Diego is beautiful and the Westgate Hotel was the best hotel I have personally visited. Everybody is super professional. There are so many personal touches to the hotel. I will not publicize all of the special things that they do for you during your stay, you will have to see for yourself. I became good friends with the Chief Concierge Shraddha Carlin, she took good care of me while I was on my trip. She had so many things to recommend me for my trip and everything she recommended was a great experience. I cannot over emphasize how much my stay at The Westgate Hotel and the helpfulness of Shraddha made my trip so memorable. The pool and food are amazing. The hotel is so beautiful that I could never describe it properly. actually extended my stay and changed flights because I was so pleased with the hotel and service. I felt like I was at home and had a new family there. I recommend everybody go check it out. I will be back soon and I cannot wait.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Carmichael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I spent a week at this hotel. From the moment the bellboy opened my cab door, I knew this stay was going to be luxurious. The foyer was jaw-dropping beautiful--huge fresh floral arrangements & European antique decor adorned the marble covered area. The reception staff were extremely welcoming & accommodating. The room was extremely spacious & beautiful decor/design. Nightly bed turndown service with Belgium chocolates added such a nice touch. I will be bringing back my family & friends for future SD visits!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Located in Downton Civic Center, near the Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego Westgate is a first class hotel.
The reception has a Louis XIV-style decor (or XV?). Rooms with wonderful bathrooms this hotel has heated pool and jacuzzi and fitness center on the third floor.

Close to several shops, troleys and bus stops and hundreds of restaurant and cafes.

Parking is expensive, U $ 8.00 per hour (do not know the daily price) as well as several parking lots nearby.

Special mention to indian style concierge (sorry I forgot her name) who welcomed us beautifully and gave us many tips about San Diego.

All receptionists were very attentive and received us very well.st in Downton Civic Center , near the Gaslamp Quartier Westgate San Diego is a first class hotel.

Green Features: This hotel is concerned about the water and energy issues in California
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank vagalugo
Assonet, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Walking into the hotel first of all was breath taking. I stood for a few seconds just taking in the beauty. Upon approaching the front desk we were welcomed by Rocky who was very friendly and gave us a brief history of the hotel. He then introduced us to 'Shraddha Carlin - the Chief Concierge"!!! She went above and beyond to make sure we were able to get to see all that we could in the three days left of our vacation. She made us feel so welcomed and comfortable throughout our stay. She recommended restaurants - wrote out our personal itinerary and placed them in seperate envelopes, dated with maps in each so we didn't have to put any effort into what we were doing - she did it ALL for us!!! Of course, we didn't want to leave but have peace of mind knowing that we will soon return to a newly made family!! The first room we checked into was beautiful - but Shraddha thought we should have another one with a better view. We were moved to a room with the view of the pool - which by the way was refreshing. Infused water and green apples were always available poolside.

Room Tip: I feel no matter where your room is - really doesn't make much of difference. Your taken up by...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Entering the lobby sets the scene for this wonderful, French-style, luxury appointed hotel. Brilliantly located near gaslight restaurant precinct. Room was beautifully appointed and very comfortable. Wasn't the best time of year for a swim but the pool area looked fantastic.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

My three teenage daughters and I stayed at the Westgate hotel, and we truly enjoyed our stay. The athmosphere starting with the lobby, restaurants and rooms is so nice you feel you are inside a french decorated castle; the rooms are large and pretty decorated, the bathroom beautiful and elegant, the sofas inside the room are so comfortable, and everything is very clean. It has internet and free water bottles. Prices in the cafe are reasonable and very good food. We also liked that is in downtown San Diego, very close to many restaurants, boutiques, bars and Horton Plaza that you can walk by, and the train stop is just a few steps. The pool is very nice (specially at night) it has warm water, there's an outdoor and an indoor gym, and an outdoor running track. But what I liked the most of our stay at the hotel is the excelent service we received from their staff, everybody very friendly and customer focused,they made us feel like home (actually I didn't want to leave), so next time we travel to SD we'll stay at the Westgate for sure!

Room Tip: Any room you choose is perfect
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family