“5 star hotel”

Ranked #31 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Slough, United Kingdom
“5 star hotel”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights last week. The lobby is opulent and reminded me of The Ritz, London. There is a harpist playing soothing music. The reception staff are not only very friendly and helpful but they are genuine and laid back. My room was huge and felt like a small apartment. I loved the layout and it felt very luxurious. I can't wait to return to this great hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank danielavinci

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 nights at The Westgate. The rooms are huge, everything functions well and the place exudes quality -if from a bygone era! There is a lovely bar area, restaurant and outside pool area -as well as basic gym facilities. The staff and service were excellent. When it was built in the early 80's, it was the best hotel in San Diego. If you like chandeliers, elegant furnishings, a sense of opulence and vast bowls of fresh flowers -you'll love The Westgate!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is stunning when you go into the reception, staff are very friendly, helpful and approachable. It's in a great location to get to anywhere you need to. Rooms are spacious and well decorated. The room service I received was brilliant and for the price I was very impressed for the large portion sizes. Overall a top class hotel with top class service I would definitely stay here again, The staff are all happy and cannot do enough for you which I think makes the hotel special.

• Stayed March 2014
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear thegroove -

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay on TripAdvisor. We are especially humbled by your kind words about our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westgate Hotel in the future. Until then, we remain at your service.
Milan, Italy
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Westgate Hotel: it is centrally located and walking distance from the San Diego Convention Center I needed to visit every day. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious, breakfast is delicious and offers a really good selection. There is a free wi-fi, both in the lobby and in the rooms!
The staff at the front desk is very helpful and kind, as well as the doormen. My special mention goes to the Chief Concierge Shraddha Carlin, on whose assistance and lovely manners I could count during my stay. Spending a good part of my day at a welcome desk in the splendid lobby, I could see her dedicating herself to all the guests with competence, friendliness and grace, always smiling. An unforgettable stay, indeed!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed 5 nights at the Westgate. The doormen were wonderful. Always ready to open a door or run down the street to get a cab. The concierge, Shaddha, was excellent. She greeted us upon arrival and gave us a map highlighted with places to eat, transportation, and things to visit. She even walked us up to our room. The hotel is beautiful and within walking distance to Seaport Village, the ferry to Coranado, Horton Plaza, and dozens of restaurants. The trolley tour picks up in front of Horton Plaza and there is a nice breakfast place there called St. Tropez. Delicious chocolate crepes with bananas. Another great place with breakfast 24 hrs is Brian's 24 next to Ramada. Pancakes are huge, the size of the plate, so order a short stack. Dinner, try the Cheesecake Factory, 33 different kind of cheesecakes for dessert. All of this is within walking distance. We are 2 senior citizens and had no trouble walking day or night. The hotel pool is nice for swimming and the Jacuzzi is nice after a day of sightseeing. Our room was nice but you do hear traffic in the morning. You are in a city. We stayed on 9th floor with a view of Coranado Bridge. I don't think the turndown service is worth 15 a day. If you are in your room they won't come and you have to pay anyway. Beds were a little to hard for me. I am used to my pillow top. Bathroom was spacious and clean. I would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Coranado are quieter because the trolley runs on the other side.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank waverunr
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently for 6 nights whilst on business. I originally looked for something closer to the convention centre, but everything was massively expensive due to a fairly late booking. This was well priced and had good reviews/looked nice. Overall the hotel, staff, service and food were excellent and I'd definitely return. The lobby was beautiful, the rooms a good size, with lovely square bath, Juliette style balcony and big comfy bed. They offered a full turn down service at which water was also replenished and ice offered. There is a good size safe, ideal for a laptop and once you work out how to use it (using your credit card which is not charged) it worked a treat. There is a good selection of TV channels and pay per view movies and the internet was excellent.
The breakfast is great and I'd say very reasonably priced for what you get. I opted mostly for room service, which was delivered in good time and always hot! Usually with some extras not on the menu too.
Location is excellent, right by the Horton plaza, 10 minute walk to convention centre and a trolley (aka tram in England) stop outside. There are some great bars and restaurants around, and the Gaslamp district is 5 mins walk.
The only minor "complaints" I had (bearing in mind it's hard to fault this hotel) are relating to the gym facilities and the noise. Firstly, I visited during storms and the gym facilities on the third floor deck near the pool are open plan. Understandably due to health and safety they were closed at that time. However, the gym in the basement has one treadmill and one x-trainer. At 6am, there were 6 of in there all clearly waiting for the cardio equipment. There is a good selection of weights though. Towels were sparse in this gym too and no fruit as advertised. When the deck did reopen, the two extra treadmills were great and a lovely addition to the hotel. The pool was excellent too. But no weights on this deck as advertised, but there was fruit. For me however, the size of the hotel warrants more equipment that can be used all the time. I also only remembered once I got my bill that there is a $15 per day 'facilities charge' which I believed to be towards the gym. I wouldn't pay to use the lower floor gym. I gave feedback on the facilities and got a shrug of the shoulders. This wasn't typical of the service though so I let it go.
Only other point is the room I had was on the same side as the trolley stop which ran quite late and started early. It honks a horn before it starts it's journey - loudly! Maybe I'd suggest a room on a different side of the hotel?
Overall though fabulous stay and still worth 5 out of 5, if the gym can be sorted it would possibly be the best hotel I've stayed in and then I'd really rave over it!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Can't fault this hotel, from the wonderful grand entrance to the spacious rooms, wonderful selection of food at the Sunday Brunch, rooftop pool and hot tub, outdoor treadmills and a great location!! We visited in February for my Husbands Birthday and we received an upgrade on our room upon arrival. Wonderful, friendly staff and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple