“Palatial elegance”

Ranked #30 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Temecula, California
“Palatial elegance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed one night for Valentines day and had dinner in the hotel. From the outside you would think this is a modern stylish hotel. However you enter into a palace! I wanted to take all the furniture, paintings and rugs, even curtains home! Wow! The lobby is furnished with antiques and very high price silk upholstered chairs, beautiful rugs that go with the décor all in a spacious area. There is a business center off in a corner room with rounded corners trimmed in moldings and fabric. Every aspect to the hotel is elegant.

We had an adjoining suite, both rooms large with plenty of light and all the modern amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The beds were comfortable: in one room a king and the other two full beds. They had feather pillows, which are great for some people but I am a bit allergic to them. However I slept well. (Love the bed spread) The TV worked fine and offers a lot of channels and movies. There is a radio/music player that can play ambience music - new wave ocean waves etc. The bathroom has a shower/tub but the tub is small. It has an antique feeling to it, being not so big, but with a dresser by the closet. I loved the furniture in the rooms.

As this was a gift to me I don't know the cost but imagine that the room rates are high. It is wonderful for a romantic get away.

We did not use the gym or other facilities, but we dined in the main dining room downstairs. What a fabulous place! The meal was wonderful. I have not had Cornish hen in some time. It was wonderful. The first course was also beautifully prepared and presented. The décor again was out of a Louis XVI atmosphere.

The location is right down town near the Gas Light area and theaters. I think that San Diego is a city that needs to be pulled together in a style and flow. I find it to be disjointed. Certainly the area was nice near a park now being renovated. I love the street cars.

If you don't plan to stay here at least have lunch or dinner. They have wonderful Sunday brunches that are ample - on the mezzanine level in a wonderfully decorated room.

Of course the service was excellent as well.

Room Tip: We were in adjoining corner rooms on the 8th floor. They were large, comfortable, elegant, light and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I can't compliment this hotel enough,gracious in every respect from the old world grandeur and elegance of the lobby and public spaces to the comfort of the rooms.No generic hotel this,although the immediate opulence may not please those who prefer modern lines,it's bold style and furnishings must surely command a big ' wow '
I found the staff charming and helpful and the food in the lobby restaurant excellently presented and very fairly priced.Spa in transition to being a very decent facility although a little limited at the moment.
Overall - incredible and a place where one can indulge in the style of a long gone era.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Lovely lobby. The staff was attentive and helpful. Storms in Atlanta caused us to stay an extra night. San Diego or Snow and Ice? The manager provided a great rate for the extra time spent at the hotel. The service was excellent.
I know the Brass in the bathrooms was extremely hard to clean, but it was beautiful after each cleaning.
Will defintely return with my husband for a romantic extended weekend.

San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights. We checked in around 11 PM on a Friday night. No valet or lobby greeter, deathly quiet. The Front Desk agent was not unfriendly but a bit distant. This was a common experience with the staff. The lobby is beautiful but a little overkill with the tiger lillies. I am allergic. The room was nice and spacious. Very heavy cleaning powder or spray was noticeable. We enjoyed the pool area and hot tub, very nice.

I thought the room rate and room service charges were very fair.

Our feeling was we did not feel "welcome" here. It felt very cold. Because of this feeling we were not interested in trying the restaurant, tea or Sunday Brunch.

Unfortunately, we would try another hotel next time we visit San Diego.

3 Thank BulldogMatt
GAHotelsandResorts, Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Bulldog Matt,

I would like to thank you for informing me about the service you received during your stay with us. I would like to express my sincerest apologies for the level of service that you received. We pride ourselves on the level of service that our guests have come to expect while at The Westgate Hotel and can assure that we take your comments very seriously. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in person regarding your recent stay, please feel free to contact me directly at 619-557-3619.

Sarah Gunter
Director of Operations
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I spent a 2 night weekend there in January 2014. The hotel is beautiful. The décor in the lobby and rooms was first class. Every staff person that we had contact with was excellent...best service ever. The hotel is well located in Gaslamp Quarter - easy to walk to the harbor as well as many fine restaurants and bars. The pool and spa on the 3rd floor outside were just beautiful. The only negative comment I have is that the whirlpool was much too hot so we only stayed in for 5-6 minutes. As we were coming in 4 people were leaving because it was too hot. But that is the only negative. Food and restaurant staff were wonderful as were the bartenders, front desk, room service, housekeeping, maintenance, bell captain and valet.

They are rated as a 4 star hotel, but in my opinion they should be a 5 star. I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Get a King room on an upper floor. Excellent views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cremona, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We arrived 28 December without any reservation and the hotel staff, despite the hotel was very busy, they have done the impossible to find us a suitable accommodation.
Location in the city is strategic, close to gas lamp and all other roads full of restaurants and attractions.
Room was very clean and comfortable. Shower is great as well as all the small details that make the difference in the bathroom and in the room.
We have been accommodated at 12 floor where the view was special, up to the bay.
Special mention to the pool at the third floor, with jacuzzi with direct view to the surroundings buildings. In the same premises also the treadmill let you train with a great view.
Valet parking very efficient at reasonable price.
Business or leisure, MUST BE THERE.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

This hotel is an older hotel that is undergoing renovations over a period of time. It is located downtown so you are in walking distance to 5th avenue restaurants. The down side is that as an older hotel, the walls are thin so you can hear your neighbors. The hotel staff probably needs more training. Everyone was friendly but staff does not communicate with each other. So messages left with the front desk, parking lot, concierge, and house keeping are not shared. If you need something you need to speak to that dept directly.You may or may not get what you want.
We arrived at 11 AM. Rooms were not ready but that was to be expected. We left our bags and returned at 4:00 PM. Rooms were still not ready and no one could tell me why (house keeping would not answer the call from the front desk). I was moved to a different room after waiting a while.
The upside is that rooms were clean and updated nicely including the bathroom. They have new workout machines and a great pool. Got a good rate from Hotels.com. I would tray another place next time if the rates were over 125 a night.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms have a better view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends