“Fantastic accommodations and excellent service!”
Review of The Westgate Hotel

The Westgate Hotel
Ranked #29 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Arizona
“Fantastic accommodations and excellent service!”
Reviewed February 15, 2008

Having just recently returned from a business trip in San Diego, I felt compelled to send in my review of The Westgate Hotel and my fabulous experience. The rooms were beyond my expections in comfort and decor, meals and service excellent and, to top all of this, the Bell Captain, Sergio, went above and beyond in providing service. Specifically, after the taxi called for us left us at the curb, Sergio directed us into the shuttle and personally drove my co-worker and me to the airport. We were totally impressed with his attitude and service and he is definitely an asset to your establishment.

1 Thank SophieArizona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I joined my wife who was there for 2-days worth of work meetings and we had a great time! Pleasant experience from the moment we entered their lobby and checked in until the moment we left. The word elegant has been noted in several of the reviews and that is just what you'll experience. If you are looking for a chain property that is cookie cutter or cutting edge this isn't for you. Yes, some of the fixtures look a little worn and, no, they don't have flat screen TVs, but with everything else going for them we didn't miss those items a bit. Old world charm abounds from the lobby's ornate marble, amazing wood work, furniture and fixtures through to its unusually large-sized rooms that you just don't see anymore in the chain properties. Marble in the bathrooms, glass doors on the showers and a huge king bed made this a great experience. I'm a stickler for the staff/customer service component and this was a memorable experience in that regard too. Everyone greeted us pleasantly and even looked us in the eye whenever we came upon them in the lobby, elevators, front desk, etc. They actually held the front doors and elevators for us. You just don't see that anymore. Only hitch, my wife needed Internet access and due to a problem with their SBC connection she couldn't use her laptop for the Web. We ended up in the business center where a wonderfully friendly staff person, Linda, let us use one of the desktop PCs without cost and continued to push the property's IT dept. to fix the problem for us which they did. The lower concourse has the gift shop/business center, gym and parking. Gym was nice-sized and quiet so no trouble for me getting time on the equipment. We didn't have a chance to try the bar or restaurant, but would definitely do so on our next trip. The hotel caters to high-end receptions and has a great roof-top deck with fountains that our room overlooked.

As for the hotel's location, it's right downtown so great to venture out and see the sights. Ample fast food around and a huge mall, Horton Plaza, just across the street with a great food court, movie theatre and tons of shopping. Just a 10-15 minute walk down Broadway in front of the hotel to the harbor and all its atractions.

Would definitely go back - highly recommend!!

Stayed January 2008
5 Thank Sailguy
New York, NY
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Overall I really loved this hotel. Concierge and staff were terrific - very helpful. Wonderful food at the restaurant and a lovely bar. My only complaint is that despite the high floor, my room was very noisy. I heard a lot of street traffic noise - trucks, drunks, and car alarms.

• Stayed January 2008
1 Thank carpinkly
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 13, 2007

I stayed at this hotel when i managed a conference for one of my clients. I found it to be truly on par with many luxury european hotels i have visited. The decor throughout the hotel is decadent, and the rooms are reasonably sized and well planned. I had the pleasure of working with the entire staff, who were for the most part very accomodating. Gabor (banquets) and Shraddha (concierge), were extremely knowledgable and went out of their way for myself, my colleagues and our clients. The catering director, whose name i have regrettably and embarrassingly misplaced, was just as excellent. The sales staff, however, left something to be desired. Though personable enough, they did not seem to be very experienced in hosting a large event.
The hotel restaurants are fantastic, serving upscale California fare, and room service was impeccable. The location is not a great one for the tourist, as it is in the business district of the city. I was able to find some excellent restaurants and nightclubs nearby, though. And it was not a far walk from the trains, trams, buses, or ocean! On the whole, my company and our clients were very pleased with the event and our stay there.

• Liked — decor, food, room, staff
  • Disliked — location isn't wonderful
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank alouisemcg
LA
Reviewed November 19, 2007

To celebrate my fiancé’s birthday we decided on a weekend getaway to San Diego. I booked a hotel through Hotwire, based on star rating and location in the Gaslamp quarter, and was pleased to find out we were staying at The Westgate.

Despite a bland outside appearance, the interior architecture and decor of The Westgate has a European, and distinctly French, charm. The location to Horton Plaza and the restaurants/shops of the Gaslamp Quarter is certainly one of the main attractions to this hotel. (We even walked about 15 minutes to Petco Park for a baseball game).

During check-in, we found the desk staff friendly and helpful. They upgraded us to a room on a higher floor. I was initially excited, but disappointed to step inside and have the NBC building directly across the street blocking much of the harbor view.

The room itself was comfortable. Our bed was plush, with soft down pillows and a comforter. Two nightstands with marble tops were adjacent to the bed. In front of the sliding glass door to the balcony was a leather-topped work desk with complimentary Internet access. (Wireless is only available in the restaurant and bar). Also in the room were a chair and ottoman, television, DVD player, minibar, and phone with 2 separate lines. A bucket of ice was left during turn down service and a morning newspaper was delivered.

The bathroom contained a vanity and an over-sized square-shaped marble shower/bathtub. ***The sides of the tub were very high and may not be suitable for those who have difficulty climbing in and out of a tub.*** Gilchrist & Soames toiletries were available as well as a hairdryer, two robes, an ironing board/iron and a vanity. The bathroom, although clean, felt run-down. The hotel really should repair the peeling wallpaper and consider better lighting.

Valet service was quick, but the $24/night garage fee was ridiculously high, esp. for a hotel of this caliber.

The other drawback to The Westgate is the traffic noise. Despite being in a room almost to the top of the hotel, the traffic noise on the street below was constant.

With the many hotels in San Diego, I'll probably try elsewhere during my next visit.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Traffic noise!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank love2traveltheworld
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Just returned from a great stay at this charming hotel, Great staff, lovely large but cozy rooms. Very convient to downtown activities. Close to the Civic Center, and many fine restaurants and activities. We were there 5 days and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The Concierge was very helpful in directing us to activities that fit our style and time. There was a shuttle service to and from the airport. Also got a free ride to the Harbour to go on a tour. There was no coffee pot in the room, but there was a small room set up off of the lobby with coffee and tea for guests every morning. Also had breakfast at the hotel one morning and it was reasonable and enjoyable. We found St.Tropiz restaurant just a block away. This was even better for breakfast or lunch. A little French Bistro in the heart of the city. Horton Plaza was a block away with great shopping and activity. Gaslamp was within walking distance, and for longer runs the Trolly stop was just behind the hotel. There was a 3rd floor veranda where you could sit and enjoy the city. The entire staff was friendly and accommodating to us from the get go. We look forward to staying there again. Dmcbhoover, Indianapolis, IN

• Liked — Larger room, but cozy overall
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything I didn't like
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Dmcbhoover
ojai, ca
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Over the years we have visited this hotel at least 10 times.
The guest rooms, the public rooms, the restaurants are superbly furnished and decorated. Beautiful pieces of furniture everywhere. Quality Persian Rugs on shining wood floors.

The personel are friendly, helpful, and forthcoming. They are moslty young western European men and women who seem interested in your comfort.

The guest rooms are spacious. Each room has a good TV and DVD/CD player. The plumbing is efficient. Quiet is the rule. mattresses are firm and comfortable.

The exercise room is well equipped. The garage is handy and the attendants are helpful.

Location is perfect. Across the street from Horton Plaza and 5 minutes from Balboa Park and all of its attractions. The restaurants in the hotel are first class; and there are dozens of top restaurants within walking distance.

I am not associated with the hotel; I just think it is a great place to stay.

• Liked — quality everything; accomadating personel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple