“Elegant but not stuffy, great location and service”
Review of The Westgate Hotel

The Westgate Hotel
Ranked #47 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Our three-night stay was disappointment-free. The hotel's location is superb, right at the corner of the Gaslamp area and right across the street from the very nice outdoor Horton Center shopping center. There are probably 100+ restaurants within a few blocks, many of which have amazing happy hour deals on both drinks and appetizers (we tried several).

The hotel is elegantly decorated, maybe a bit over the top like pseudo-European Versailles, but it worked. Staff are ultra-professional, uniformed, and friendly. We felt pampered.

The hotel itself is really quiet and there's not much hustle and bustle. The only downside is that it's on Broadway, and even 14 floors up, the hooting and hollering and sirens until nearly dawn on Sunday morning might bother very light sleepers (maybe ask for a room on the other side, but you'll miss an amazing view of downtown and the bay).

Rooms are very large, very nicely decorated, and with really large and elegant bathrooms (marble tile, big vanity with cushioned stool, oversized tub, big towels, bathrobes, etc.) Previous comments mention shower temperature and pressure, but both were amazing. The bed was really nice, although a notch below the heavily marketed fancy beds of some of the hotel chains. Our room looked exactly like the picture on the website. Loved the balcony!

Big plus: the hotel has free wireless Internet and the speed was excellent. Bravo! The fitness center was very well equipped, but despite the marketing, there really isn't a spa, just a treatment room apparently available only if you book a treatment ahead of time. There's no pool.

The dining room and bar seemed dead all the time (not a single guest in the dining room early Saturday evening), but afternoon tea looked like a lot of fun and it was pretty booked up. The concierge was very helpful, but not there all the time. You just get the feeling that not much happens at the hotel, which is a shame because it has so much going for it. On the other hand, you can get a good deal and enjoy a quiet and relaxing visit.

This was a great stay. Next time in San Diego, this would definitely be my first choice.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed at The Westgate Hotel to celebrate my wife's birthday in San Diego. We got a great rate and we were very happy with this hotel.

We arrived around 5 PM on Saturday night and we weren't able to find any valets in front of the hotel and when we continued up 2nd Ave a little bit we saw a couple well dressed gentlemen sending people away and saw signs that the parking lot was full. Not a great way to arrive but we circled the block a few times and eventually found street parking a few blocks away. The ease of parking leaves a little bit to be desired but when we got back to the hotel we saw that a wedding was scheduled at 5 and there were a lot of people to park so we gave the hotel somewhat of a pass on that but at that point we were a little nervous about our hotel selection.

We walked in to the lobby and immediately the room and the chandeliers gave us a flashback of the Hall of Mirrors from our trip to Versailles last year. The setting is very elegant and classy and I liked it but was kind of sad that my mom wasn't with us because she would have LOVED it. It is definitely a unique hotel in that aspect.

We were able to check in quickly and when we got to the room I had a little trouble with the key (an actual key, the first I've seen at a hotel in years but with an interesting design) but after a few tries we were able to get in our room which was very generously sized. We were on the 6th floor and had a view towards the Gaslamp district and the bay which we liked. The glass door opens to a small balcony where you can step out and enjoy the weather, which was a perfect 75 degrees the day we were there.

We had a king size bed which was very comfortable and the furnishings continued the French theme from the downstairs lobby. The bathroom was very large and had a vanity area, a large mirror that my wife loved, a closet, and a separate shower/toilet area. One of our only complaints about the room is that the drain in the shower was slow and the water tended to back up rather quickly. I guess our only other complaint is that the tube TV could use an update but not that big a deal. The entertainment center had a DVD player which we found rather fortunate since we had just bought a movie and we were able to watch it that night at the hotel.

We didn't have any meals at the hotel but we were close enough to walk to Ruth's Chris for dinner and then The Broken Yolk the next morning for brunch. The hotel is in a very centralized location close to a lot of restaurants, bars, and a Westfield Mall. The area can get somewhat sketchy after dark and I wouldn't venture out north of Broadway. There were a few panhandlers asking us for change out in front of a 7-11 next door but it's the type of thing you'll see downtown in any large city.

Overall, we had a great weekend at The Westgate Hotel and would happily return.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichaelRinck
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I booked my hotel through priceline.com
This hotel should be only 3 stars according to Priceline.com it's 4 stars
I think 4 stars are way way too much
Hotel is clean, decent staff, very old fasion and boring lobby, dead small bar and really old fasion old looking resutrant.
I think its a good choice for an elderly couple to stay there

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
lkarimiSanDiego, General Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

Dear Guest,

I was very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your recent stay. The Westgate is a classic hotel designed after the Palace Versailles adorned with many original works of art from the turn of the century. Our Plaza Bar offers entertainment week nights as well as on the weekends including the talented Gregory Page whom normally plays to a full house. The Westgate Room features the talent’s of Executive Chef Fabrice Hardel., recently named as one of San Diego’s top chef’s. Chef Hardel employs many of today’s more modern cooking techniques.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

Not in the best part of town, view from my room not good. I was there on a weekend night and was awoken by loud partying down on the streets well beyond midnight. My least favorite of the many 4* hotels I've stayed at in San Diego over the years.

At check out I was surprised to learn of a $28 parking charge as I did not have a car during my one-night stay. The charge was removed but reinstated to my credit card several days later. Subsequent emails about this have gone unanswered. A mistake in charging me for parking ( and correcting it) I can understand. Charging me again and not responding is unacceptable.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank vagabond_biker

Dear Guest,

I was very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your recent stay or of the lack of response to repeated inquiries regarding the parking charge. Please contact me directly I will ensure a credit to your account.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

Staff provided friendly excellent service. They deliver more than expected.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

Good thing I know San Diego and which sites to trust for reviews. This hotel is definitely 4 stars from the decor to the friendliness of the staff. We just spent a wonderful 2 days and the best part was the WONDERFUL BRUNCH with non-stop name brand champagne for only $42.00
Not to mention the caviar, lamb, sushi, real crab claw not watered down legs.
The sultry piano bar made the best "Vodka Gimlet". Yes, old school with style. I only go 4 star or above and this was really worth the trip.
Plus Free Wi-Fi a rare thing today...

I

1  Thank NoCamper
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Pros- great location, friendly staff, small balcony, great rate on priceline

Cons- uncomfortable beds, terrible shower, tacky decor, no pool or hot tub

Dear Guest,

I was very happy to learn that you enjoyed the services of our staff and the ease of which our location provided you access to all San Diego offers. The Westgate is a classic hotel designed after the Palace Versailles adorned with many original works art from the turn of the century. Including one of the first Steinway Pianos manufactured in New York. I can also understand your preference for a modern hotel.