“Not Bummed Out By The Vagabond!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina

Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina
Ranked #138 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
REAL-E-REAL
“Not Bummed Out By The Vagabond!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

We liked the Vagabond very much!

The Vagabond is a nice little inexpensive place to stay while checking out San Diego attractions. I was drawn to it by some reviews I'd read, the location and the price.

The staff is easy going and friendly. The room was clean, beds were comfortable. Our room had a desk, T.V., refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and free wi-fi.

The free breakfast consisted of coffee, fruit, muffins and pastries. Coffee was always available in the lobby.

There isn't an on site laundry. There's a coin op laundry about four or five small blocks away but it was closed while we were there. I drove less than 2 miles to another coin laundry called Ocean Breeze Wash & Dry. Its address is 4745 Point Loma Ave, San Diego, 92107. It was very nice and I folded my clothes while looking out at the ocean. I was there at around 9 am on a Saturday morning and had no trouble getting machines.

One thing that I though would be a good reason for staying at the Vagabond was the Fish Market next door where you can get fresh sandwiches, tacos, crab cakes etc.. I was less than impressed by the food and the prices were very high.

We had a fabulous dinner at Filippis Pizza Grotto (address 1747 India St, San Diego, CA 92101). Filippis is in Little Italy, about 4 miles from the Vagabond.

Other things that are next door is a Whale Watching boat trip company and fishing trip service company. I wish we'd had time for those.

I'm sure I'll be visiting this Vagabond Inn again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review our hotel. See you next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2009

OK, so this isn't the Waldorf Astoria...it's not supposed to be. But the location is PERFECT for anyone heading out on one of the vessels at the Landings right there practically in the parking lot!

The rooms were clean, roomy and just perfect for the night! If you're heading out do do some deep sea fishing from H&M Landing...this is the place to be!

I had called after making my reservation to change it to a handicapped room, as I had to bring my daughter at the last minute, and they were very accomodating. The hadicapp room was perfect for us!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our location I hope we can serve you again in the near future.
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2009

We chose to stay at this motel due to its proximity to the San Diego Airport. My husband had booked the room online, and said it had gotten fairly good reviews, and since we were only going to be in the room for about 12 hours, a budget motel should be o.k.

Upon first glance inside the room, everything looked 'o.k.' When I went to check out the bathroom, however, that's when my heart sank a bit. There was a bunch of hair stuck in the bathtub train, clearly visible, leading me to believe the room hadn't been cleaned. There was a yellow stain on the bath towel. I also was slightly horrified that there was a window at eye level in the bathroom, facing directly into the motel walkway. Now, this window was "frosted", but I could clearly see people when they would walk by, so I'm sure they could at least see me to some degree--very uncomfortable.

There were stains on the walls; the carpet looked like it had not been vacuumed in a decade, and worst of all, when I went to go to bed, there were a bunch of dark hairs on the sheets. I made my husband go down to the front desk to ask for new sheets. He offered to move us to another room, and apologized, but our two kids were already asleep in bed, so we just got new sheets.

The shower took forever to get hot water (like 10 minutes), so I had to just settle for washing with a washcloth that night. In the morning, I felt so dirty from being in that bed/room that I did decide to take a shower and take my chances.

I was never so happy to check out of that place. My husband asked for a refund in the morning, but the manager said he couldn't do that. The only pro to this place is that it's close to the airport. Unless you are really financially strapped and don't mind dirty disgusting rooms , I would not recommend staying at this motel. I felt dirty just being in that room, and kept praying that I didn't contract any diseases from being there.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — the disgusting bathroom and sheets
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jweldy
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, January 28, 2009
Im sorry that you had a bad experience here with us. This is the first time I hear about this matter. I will see in to the matter and make sure it does not happen again. Here at the Vagabond Inn we strive to please all of our guests. I would like to hear from you and get more details.
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

This place is excellent, they really go the extra mile as soon as you walk in the door. Rooms are clean and mattress real comfortable.
The evening clerk even printed my boarding passes for free. I also had free wi-fi. Nice heated pool. Over all I had a great time, Cant wait to come back.

• Liked — Cookies in the evening
  • Disliked — Could not stay longer
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, September 23, 2008
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel and your experience. We always enjoy hearing comments from our guests to let us know how we are doing. We really appreciate the beautiful pictures you posted of our lobby and pool.
va
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

This place looked a little sketchy and had few amenities, but when you arrive at 2:30 AM (late flight) and leave at 6:30 AM for some diving (with nearby shop - Dive California) then it serves its purpose. A small but clean room to crash in for a few hours. Very close to the airport which is nice when your plane arrives after the rental car companies close!

I honestly thought they were joking about the breakfast. If you enjoy standing while you eat a muffin next to the front desk, then this is the place for you.

The once positive though was, as I mentioned, the room was clean. Oh and the price was very affordable.

Stayed June 2008
Sandiego, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, August 8, 2008
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, hope that your give us another opportunity to serve you and for your stay to be longer so you can really enjoy all of our ammenities, that include Free Continental breakfast, fresh baked cookie snack time, free 24 hour fresh coffe in the lobby, free wi-fi and our heated pool. And to also have use of our in room ammenities that include free use of a refrigerator and microwave , in room coffe maker and free cable and HBO.
Los Angleses
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

I have to say that this Hotel was one of the Best Hotels that me and my family have ever stayed at. The price was reasonable for the weekend and for all of the extra perks that it had to offer. We asked for directions to Sea World and the morning clerk was so helpful and even printed out our directions for us. It made our weekend so relaxing. They even gave us a coupon for a Free Appetizer at this little Mexican Restaurant down the street which we gladly accepted and used. My kids loved the cookies at 3:00pm and the pool was nice and refreshing.

The only thing I wish was the rooms were a little bigger, with us being a family of 4, you need the extra space.

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — The size of the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sandiego, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, June 14, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We always love to hear how we are doing. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I will let the hotel staff know how great they are doing. One of the greatest comments we get is on our cookie hour. Most guest look forward to having a refreshment when they check-in and we enjoy giving it to you.

Fort Pierce, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

While this hotel definitely has some strenghs, there are some significant disadvantages. Weighing one against the other, we cannot recommend this property.

First, the positives. The front desk crew is terrific. Want recommendations for restaurants? No problem. Need the wireless computer system rebooted? Sure thing. Looking for directions to the Gaslamp District? Thats' easy. These guys are friendly and courteous and go the extra mile. They are easily the best thing the Vagabond has going for it.

The location is also a plus. It's in Point Loma, right near the fancy boats and within walking distance of a number of good restaurants, including the iconic Point Loma Seafood, which is right next door. The hotel is a short drive from Ocean Beach, our favorite in SD, and an easy drive to Old Town and the Gaslamp District. It's not on a touristy street -- right across from the hotel is a bar advertising "semi-live music," whatever that is -- but the location is good.

This is not a new hotel at all, but it is kept very clean. The bed was firm but not a pillow-top. Okay,but nothing fancy. The rooms have wireless access. Our refirigerator was decently sized and, unlike those in most tourist hotels, was icy cold.

Now, the problems. It all starts and ends with the thin walls that let all sorts of sounds in. Others have complained about the sounds of airplanes and traffic. We had an inside room, so we did not suffer those problems. Instead, our room was next to the housekeeping room. We were awakened one day by the maid's cart rattling by...and again...and again. The next day my wife, trying to sleep late, was awakened by staff members standing outside the housekeeping room holding a three-way discussion with no concern that people might be in their rooms on either side. We could hear traffic out on the street, but it was not much of a bother. For people on the other side of the building, it might be a problem.

The hotel has a heated pool that seems clean. We didn't use it because the weather was cool, but we would have been willing to.

We paid about $100 a night on a holiday weekend, which is not bad considering SD's inflated prices.

In all, this place has some advantages to recommend it, but the noise and noisy staff are disadvantages that, in our opinion, outweigh them.

• Liked — Front desk staff
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tomcat33333
Sandiego, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, June 3, 2008
First I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments on our hotel. I would like to personally apologize for the noise caused by our housekeeping staff. I assure you it is not a regular occurance and I have taken action to ensure that the staff will be more courteous in the future. We do appreciate your business and hope that you will return so that we can give you a better quality of stay. We appreciate you letting us know what we need to work on and as a hotel that strives for customer service we take all comments as a way to improve. I hope that you will give use a chance to make your next stay with us a pleasant one.