“Clean, Good for the price.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina

Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina
Ranked #138 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Glendale, Arizona
“Clean, Good for the price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel was great for the price that we paid. The hotel was clean, but the carpets could use a nice shampooing. This was the only thing we found wrong with the hotel not being clean. The rooms are small but well worth the price. The location is great - 10 minutes from Mission Beach. The only issue we had with our stay was parking. If you do not arrive at the hotel early at night, you may not get a parking space. Also, the parking spaces are extremely small. It was very hard to fit our truck into a spot without being inches from the other cars. The second night of our stay, we did not receive a parking space. When we notified the front desk, they made arrangements for us to park under the carport or we could also park across the street at the barbershop. Other than these two things, the stay was worth the price. This hotel is a good example of you get what you pay for. The breakfast was okay - yogurt, pastries, 2 kinds of cereal, and oatmeal. The pool was rarely occupied. We were approximately 10 minutes from Seaport Village. Also, beware that there is contraction going on right next to the hotel right now. I presume that this is not always the case, but it was during our stay during the last week of JUNE. Overall, not a bad hotel. I would stay here again for the same price.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room and loved it. There was a view of the harbor out our bathroom window. Also...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments. My staff and I strive to satisfy every guest with our service, cleanliness, and property. We are pleased you enjoyed what we have to offer. We will take your review to heart and build on our success. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I had read mixed reviews of this hotel but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was small, but very cozy, comfortable, clean and quiet The two fellows in the office, Hector and Joshua, were very helpful and polite. Breakfast included fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, juices and coffee---completely adequate.

The location is fabulous---close to the marina and walking trails. public transit, and restaurants. It was an excellent place to spend a couple of nights. We'd stay here again

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happycamper642014
Thank you for staying with us. My staff and I are very pleased we could make you a 'happy camper' for a few nights! We appreciate you sharing your experience at our property and look forward to another opportunity to serve. We are grateful for your business.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was a great place to stay. It was a great location for walking to nice restaurants and Shelter Island. It was also a good location for getting access to main roads to the zoo and SeaWorld. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and what made the stay very good. Although our room was next to the ice machine the noise of it wasn't bad and only really heard it in the morning when people were using it. The facilities and breakfast were great and although we didn't use the pool it was well used by other guests. Definitely recommend staying here and would consider staying here agin if back in San Diego. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Nothing is more rewarding to my staff and I than knowing our guest checked out satisfied and will return. We are pleased you stayed with us and are grateful for your comments. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience at our hotel, we hope to see you again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed here for a yacht regatta. Not my normal choice, but since the boat owner was paying and the wife was not around, there was no problem.

Rooms were clean and looked newly renovated. Beds looked well used but were comfortable and clean. Maids changed sheets and towels every day.

A/C worked great and I slept peacefully.

Room Tip: I had an upstairs room, only two floors. Worked fine. Slept with window open and felt secure.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
My staff and I are grateful for your business and your comments. We appreciate your views and will use them to improve how we operate and provide service. My housekeeping staff will be pleased to know that their hard work does not go unnoticed.
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I needed a place to crash because I came in late and didn't want to take that 2 hour drive to LA. Someone had claimed that the hotel appeared decent so I took their advise. Well it appears to be another hotel with the same name that is suppose to be nicer then this. The room on the picture wasn't accurate. In fact it's a motel that entry leads straight outside, unlike the photo. When the taxi arrived I was hoping it was a mistake but it wasn't. The lobby area looked like a scene out of an old movie. The room had been slightly updated but part of the furniture looked as though it was found curb side. The room looked dated and as if they tried to update it with a low budget. My room was on the main floor beside the ice machine. Noisey. And the bathroom window didn't lock. Needless to say when my early car service had arrived I was up showered and ready to go. Since all I had ate for over 24 hours was part of a pack of twizzlers and part of a snack bag of pretzel, I was starving. So I got 2 mini pastries which made me physically sick and made my trip to LA quite memorable. And allowed me to tour many areas of Orange County and their restrooms that I may have never would have seen any other way. The best part was the mattress, comforter and comfy pillows. Either way, I would never, ever stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrea F
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience Andrea. Given the details, my staff and I would have liked an opportunity to offer you a room in another location of the hotel. While we are an exterior entrance property, my staff and I are confident in the safety and security of our guests and the cleanliness of our rooms and property. We prefer to address the needs and specifics of all our guests during their stay. My staff and I appreciate your comments and will do everything we can to improve the points you touched on, but it is challenging when your review is over 3 months after your stay.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We recently went here for the weekend and found it to be a great location and price. We have been looking for a repeat place to stay as we frequent San Diego quite a bit. Found it. We will most definitely stay here again. The rooms were nice, bed comfy, all things you could need. Minus hair dryer and bathroom fan. Being a desert dweller the humidity in the room stayed in a comfortable position with their new air/heat units. The only drawback that we had about this place was the bar across the street. Not friendly to outsiders by my guess as we sat at the bar for five minutes just being gawked at. Not to mention they are cash only. If you want a rude experience try out the Club Marina bar. I would think for being so close to multiple hotels they would be a little more accommodating to tourists for their revenue flow, but what do I know I'm not in the business of bar ownership. The hotel is a win, if you are considering this and want to see the marinas, the ship museum, seaport village, little Italy this is a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor for views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for staying with us Chesha. My staff and I are so pleased you found us to be a great hotel in a great location for you. We hope to serve you again in the future and really appreciate your comments. I don't know about our neighbor, The Marina bar, but we appreciate our patrons. I will drop in and let them know about the rewards of true hospitality.
Borrego Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

We chose Vagabond Inn-San Diego Airport Marina because of its easy access to the airport where we had to pick up/drop off visitors twice in recent weeks. It is really good value considering the location. The second floor rooms overlooking the marina are very pleasant, with big windows that fully open. There is no elevator, so if you think you might have difficulty carrying luggage up the outside stairway, you may want to ask a staff member to help you--which in our case, the manager was most obliging to do so. This is an older style property, but the rooms have been renovated with sparkling white bathrooms/towels, very comfortable mattresses with comfy white duvets and pillows, and flat-screen HD TV's, good-size fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Point Loma Seafoods (highly recommended!) is a one-miinute walk out the back entrance on the marina. And we could drive to the airport in under ten minutes. We will unquestionably stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room overlooking the marina
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wahzah
My staff and I are pleased you will stay with us again. Thank you for sharing your experience. It is comments like your that motivate our team to provide the best service.