“Two night stay on way home from Hawaii”

Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina
Ranked #130 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Hamilton, Canada
“Two night stay on way home from Hawaii”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I had read mixed reviews of this hotel but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was small, but very cozy, comfortable, clean and quiet The two fellows in the office, Hector and Joshua, were very helpful and polite. Breakfast included fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, juices and coffee---completely adequate.

The location is fabulous---close to the marina and walking trails. public transit, and restaurants. It was an excellent place to spend a couple of nights. We'd stay here again

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happycamper642014
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. My staff and I are very pleased we could make you a 'happy camper' for a few nights! We appreciate you sharing your experience at our property and look forward to another opportunity to serve. We are grateful for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was a great place to stay. It was a great location for walking to nice restaurants and Shelter Island. It was also a good location for getting access to main roads to the zoo and SeaWorld. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and what made the stay very good. Although our room was next to the ice machine the noise of it wasn't bad and only really heard it in the morning when people were using it. The facilities and breakfast were great and although we didn't use the pool it was well used by other guests. Definitely recommend staying here and would consider staying here agin if back in San Diego. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Nothing is more rewarding to my staff and I than knowing our guest checked out satisfied and will return. We are pleased you stayed with us and are grateful for your comments. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience at our hotel, we hope to see you again.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed here for a yacht regatta. Not my normal choice, but since the boat owner was paying and the wife was not around, there was no problem.

Rooms were clean and looked newly renovated. Beds looked well used but were comfortable and clean. Maids changed sheets and towels every day.

A/C worked great and I slept peacefully.

Room Tip: I had an upstairs room, only two floors. Worked fine. Slept with window open and felt secure.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
My staff and I are grateful for your business and your comments. We appreciate your views and will use them to improve how we operate and provide service. My housekeeping staff will be pleased to know that their hard work does not go unnoticed.
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I needed a place to crash because I came in late and didn't want to take that 2 hour drive to LA. Someone had claimed that the hotel appeared decent so I took their advise. Well it appears to be another hotel with the same name that is suppose to be nicer then this. The room on the picture wasn't accurate. In fact it's a motel that entry leads straight outside, unlike the photo. When the taxi arrived I was hoping it was a mistake but it wasn't. The lobby area looked like a scene out of an old movie. The room had been slightly updated but part of the furniture looked as though it was found curb side. The room looked dated and as if they tried to update it with a low budget. My room was on the main floor beside the ice machine. Noisey. And the bathroom window didn't lock. Needless to say when my early car service had arrived I was up showered and ready to go. Since all I had ate for over 24 hours was part of a pack of twizzlers and part of a snack bag of pretzel, I was starving. So I got 2 mini pastries which made me physically sick and made my trip to LA quite memorable. And allowed me to tour many areas of Orange County and their restrooms that I may have never would have seen any other way. The best part was the mattress, comforter and comfy pillows. Either way, I would never, ever stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Andrea F
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience Andrea. Given the details, my staff and I would have liked an opportunity to offer you a room in another location of the hotel. While we are an exterior entrance property, my staff and I are confident in the safety and security of our guests and the cleanliness of our rooms and property. We prefer to address the needs and specifics of all our guests during their stay. My staff and I appreciate your comments and will do everything we can to improve the points you touched on, but it is challenging when your review is over 3 months after your stay.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We recently went here for the weekend and found it to be a great location and price. We have been looking for a repeat place to stay as we frequent San Diego quite a bit. Found it. We will most definitely stay here again. The rooms were nice, bed comfy, all things you could need. Minus hair dryer and bathroom fan. Being a desert dweller the humidity in the room stayed in a comfortable position with their new air/heat units. The only drawback that we had about this place was the bar across the street. Not friendly to outsiders by my guess as we sat at the bar for five minutes just being gawked at. Not to mention they are cash only. If you want a rude experience try out the Club Marina bar. I would think for being so close to multiple hotels they would be a little more accommodating to tourists for their revenue flow, but what do I know I'm not in the business of bar ownership. The hotel is a win, if you are considering this and want to see the marinas, the ship museum, seaport village, little Italy this is a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor for views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for staying with us Chesha. My staff and I are so pleased you found us to be a great hotel in a great location for you. We hope to serve you again in the future and really appreciate your comments. I don't know about our neighbor, The Marina bar, but we appreciate our patrons. I will drop in and let them know about the rewards of true hospitality.
Borrego Springs, California
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We chose Vagabond Inn-San Diego Airport Marina because of its easy access to the airport where we had to pick up/drop off visitors twice in recent weeks. It is really good value considering the location. The second floor rooms overlooking the marina are very pleasant, with big windows that fully open. There is no elevator, so if you think you might have difficulty carrying luggage up the outside stairway, you may want to ask a staff member to help you--which in our case, the manager was most obliging to do so. This is an older style property, but the rooms have been renovated with sparkling white bathrooms/towels, very comfortable mattresses with comfy white duvets and pillows, and flat-screen HD TV's, good-size fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Point Loma Seafoods (highly recommended!) is a one-miinute walk out the back entrance on the marina. And we could drive to the airport in under ten minutes. We will unquestionably stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room overlooking the marina
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wahzah
My staff and I are pleased you will stay with us again. Thank you for sharing your experience. It is comments like your that motivate our team to provide the best service.
Mexicali, Mexico
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Rooms are very comfortable for two adults, I stayed in a room with one King Bed and we were very comfortable in every moment. The locations is just great, you will be able to find great restaurants nearby within walking distance, such as Point Lome Seafood (just awsome), and also fast food such as Jack in the Box. Downtown is a few minutes drive away. The surroundings are very quiet so you will be able to sleep very comfortably. Great Hotel just to go and sleep there.

Room Tip: Make sure your refrigerator is well plugged in and that every appliance in the room works correctly.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Salvador M
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you. My staff and I are pleased you enjoyed our property and location. We hope to get the opportunity to serve you again.