“Good Motel not a Hotel”

Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina
Ranked #129 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I was not looking for a luxury hotel, I was trying to find a clean cheap motel on the higher end (meaning better than motel 6). I think some people fail to distiguish their ratings of a motel or resort. So in comparison to motels I give it a 3 because I have stayed at Quality Inns and Extended stays that are better (and worse) the Vagabond is right in the middle.
PROS- Allow dogs and there are plenty of walking paths to walk the dog along the docks. You don't even have to cross a street to get to the docks and the walking path goes all the way to Liberty Station which has a HUGE off leash dog park. Also clean microwave and clean fridge although I couldn't get it past cool. They have ice machines. Rooms are big (@lst ours was) we stayed in 115 and were able to fit our bikes easily in the room. Bathroom is not tiny although you can't get ready at the same time it ok do your make up at the big vanity instead. Shower is tube/shower and the remodel is a thurogh improvement meaning not just new faucets the tile is all clean and tubs have no stains. Every light worked which is more than I can say for the Hyatt I stayed at a month ago. Also compared to the other hotels this location on a quieter street than Rosecreans is the best I don't regret picking this one almost souley base on the street location and light walking path by the marina. There is a little sandwich place along the marina where we picked up sammy's on our way to Liberty station dog park for a picnic.

CONS- WiFi didn't work (refer to picture). Comforter had a hole right on top probably someone smoking burnt it. The furniture is chipped along with some wear on the wall paper. Ceiling is popcorn and we could get the door to lock so we only used the latchy thing. The sofa chair had a couple tears and looked 2nd hand meaning I wouldn't sit in it, but it did give my little dog a place besides the bed. Parking loat was full when we got back from dinner so we had to drive around the block and walk. The spots are small so my car did get hit, I saw it from my window and went over to see if their door left a mark but it didn't so I said it was ok. There is a bar across the street which is the latest night life within 4blocks kind of a dive but this isn't downtown.
TIP- if you can pair your stay with a concert at Humphreys by the Bay you can walk. The Point Break has $2 pints everyday 4-6:30. Bring your bikes if you can, because you'll get to enjoy more of the trail sin Liberty Station. And easy ride to BevMo down the street.

Room Tip: 115 is under the stairs next to a small planter big enough for a small dog to go potty and away from...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank khart55

Reviewed October 11, 2011

I got there late at night and got help right away. I was happy with my room and the cleaness of the room. I had a good nite stay there and was happy with the customer service there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Dirty, old, small & overpriced. Run in the other direction. The only reason we stayed here was because it allowed dogs to stay- with $10 extra fee.
When we arrived the desk clerk was on his phone on a personal call and took him a few minutes to help me since he had to finish his call first. Then the hotel keys didn't work.
The site advertises "newly remodeled rooms", however the rooms are old, small and dirty. Beer bottle caps found on floor in the room & someone else's hair in our unused towels. My husband and I wondered if the sheets were changed between guests. The TV picture was messed up.
Very Noisy- you can hear anything from people flushing toilets to talking or watching tv in the next room. We were woken up at 2 am by a crowd of people yelling in the parking lot- one of them bragging about everything he had stollen that day. Called front desk, but noise level continued.
The hotel offers free parking- but good luck finding it. There are limited spots in the crammed parking lot- my car was hit while parked there.
The hotel site advertises heated pool- too cold for us! Site also advertised free breakfast which we were told upon arrival was a muffin and cup of coffee.
On a good note: Decent location near- not on the water, Very close to the Airport, and only about 10 min to get to the Gaslamp Quarter.
As far as dog friendliness- not very many places to walk puppy to do his business.
I wouldn't pay more than $40 for a room here. BUT if you do stay here- stop by Mitches seafood for dinner. Very good fish!! And only a short walk away.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank awalkr
vagabondinnpl, Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Sorry to hear about your experience here at our inn. We use the most advanced chemicals and equipment for cleaning our rooms, This a very rare issue and we will take matters so it does not happen again. Please contact me so you can give me more details I would like to hear them. Thank you for your review it was very helpful in making our rooms better.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

This hotel is perfect for those taking a fishing charter for a day or a week. The rooms are decent and comfprtable and there is very little noise on a Saturday night. Beds are decent bt the decor, TV, etc., are dated. A very average room but perfect for the money. The best thing is proximity to charter boats and the continental breakfast. Best Tip: the parking lot is small, but you can pay to park overnight if fishing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Rooms were average, kind of on the small side. Lobby was tiny and this is where they served continental breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This hotel is a nice place to come and relax. The room is very spacious and beds are comfortable. The rooms have a couch, mini- kitchen with a stove for you to cook breakfast. It is less than 10 min from Sea World and Old Town San Diego. I was very pleased with our room. I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2010

One of the constant problems with reviews on TripAdvisor is that some reviewers seem to forget that they are paying for pot roast while expecting prime rib. The Vagabond Inn at Point Loma falls into the "pot roast" category - which can be great as long as you are expecting it. We stayed there for a couple of nights in early September and we found it entirely adequate, which is what we were paying for. here's what we got: 1) a clean, renovated bathroom - a bit small, but we didn't have any bathroom parties planned, so it wasn't a disappointment; 2) a smallish room with a view of a parking lot (but the bed was big and comfortable, and there was room to sort out our stuff - again, we didn't expect to be playing touch football in there); 3) a hard-working but functional refrigerator; 4) a television that probably worked but it didn't matter since we never turned it on; 5) a decent location close to the things that we wanted to see and do, with plenty of coffee shops, convenience stores and restauraunts within easy walking distance; 6) a pleasant desk attendant; 7) the "free" breakfast that you would expect - fruit, pastries, coffee and juice; 8) free parking; 9) a pool that we didn't use but which seemed clean and would have come in handy if it the weather had been hotter (we missed the heat wave by a week).

Are there downsides? You bet. The room smelled damp and clammy when we arrived, but it improved when we turned on the A/C to get some circulation. The decor is somewhat dated and might come across as shabby, but it was clean and neat. The room WAS smallish, as I said - and with two big suitcases plus peripheral stuff we had to be judicious in how we spread ourselves around. That said, it was as big as most European hotel rooms that I have ever been in. The hotel is wedged between a busy fish market and the street, and the pool is street-side. But people were using and enjoying the pool, and the high fence between the pool deck and the street offers security if not privacy. Even though it seems like it would be a noisy place, it wasn't - at least, not when we stayed there.

Don't go to the Vagabond Inn if you are looking for a high-end hotel experience. You won't get that. But if you are looking for a place that offers basic accommodation at a reasonable price, the Vagabond fits the bill.

I'll have the pot roast, please.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business