“Great people and charm - couple of setbacks” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Horton Grand Hotel

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #59 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
boston
“Great people and charm - couple of setbacks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

The hotel is a well run smaller hotel that I favor over the larger ones. Very clean. It is a welcome break if you are dealing with a day at the convention center (very close by).

Although there is not a restaurant, there is a starbucks and good breakfast place within a block. And a good bar. The downside would be the noise from street level if you are on the Island Street side, and possibly from adjacent rooms. I had reservations at one of the larger hotels and the Horton. I am glad I kept the Horton.

Room Tip: The noise level was average for me, but again, I can see where it could be a problem. Stay away from...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Really nice staff - very accommodating. Shannon and Heather were SUPER!! A screwup with our booking organizatio was corrected by Shannon and Heather by upgrading us to a suite.
Great Botique Hotel. Great Location.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jan G
Colts Neck, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

My sister and I were very pleased with our stay at the Horton Grand. Its location at the edge of the Gaslamp District provided easy access to restaurants and bars with minimal noise, and the valet parking with in & out privileges made it extremely easy to use the car when we needed it (get the park & stay package for the best deal on parking).

This is a historic building with much charm and character. If you want a sleek, modern hotel this is probably not for you, but for the rest of us that appreciate a boutique hotel I think the Horton is an excellent choice. Below are the main pros and cons.

Pros: location, extremely friendly and accommodating staff, great lobby bar, spacious room with ceiling fan & working gas fireplace, comfortable bed, lots of drawer space, in room coffee machine and iron, decent water pressure, high end toiletries, excellent free wifi throughout the building, business center with computer & printer for guest use

Cons: virtually no hanging space (tiny armoire with 2 hangers), no in room safe, noisy A/C unit, noise on Friday night from Fluxx nightclub across the street (no noise on Wednesday or Thursday)

We had breakfast at a place on the next block that was recommended by the hotel (Cafe 222) which had all the options you could want. There was a small housekeeping issue with our room that I brought to the attention of the front desk: it was immediately taken care of with many apologies (to me that is the true test of good service).

I just read over the last few reviews for this location and was a little surprised by some of the negative comments, but I guess it's all a question of how you look at things: some people call it "scratched furniture" some called it "antique furniture with a patina"!

While this hotel is not perfect in every way, I would definitely stay there again and would not hesitate to recommend it to people who want the convenience of the Gaslamp District without the noise and congestion.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank scasci
Lombard, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The location is really great. That is the best part about it. If you do not like old then do not stay here. But the old didn't really work for me or bother me. The rooms are very small but it was built a long time ago. The water pressure is terrible. On the plus side, the staff is friendly. I think it was a totally average hotel stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The rooms are clear and tidy but the funature is old fashion one which has some scraches. The only drawback is that no breakfast offered with thins hotel.
The internet was good as well.
The staff were cooperative

Room Tip: No comments
1 Thank Yahya A
Travis H, Front Office Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Yahya,

We want to thank you for your feedback and kind words in regards to the attentiveness of our staff. You will be happy to know that we just opened our Ida Bailey's restaurant serving a grand breakfast buffet and will soon open for a decadent lunch and dinner hour as well. We are so delighted you chose to come and spend your time with us and we will hope to welcome you back when you return to the San Diego area.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

It's a trip to attend a conference in San Diego. my travel agent recommend and book this hotel for me to stay. I have told the frontdesk if they can find a room that it's not noisy and quite when I check in. However, the staff assign the room in the corner for me, in which a huge background noise like an engine keep makeing nosie all the day. I informed the front desk staffs and they are not pelased to provide assiatnce.......Gee......I have paied the price the hotel asked for, but it failed to reward you the minimal quality that a 3-4 star hotel can do.

Room Tip: it is to late.........you have alreday paied
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank alexander1232014
Travis H, Front Office Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
We apologize greatly for the less than perfect stay you experienced with us. We have certainly paid close attention to your comments and have followed up with our Management team in regards to them. We do our utmost best here at The Horton Grand to provide a very distinctive luxury experience and tend to all of our guests with close attention to detail. It sounds like we may have fallen short of that during your time here, but we truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back and exemplify that plush service so many of our guests have come to know and love.
Ontario, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

I recently stayed at the Horton Grand for four nights while attending a conference at the San Diego Convention Center, which is located just a few blocks away.

The hotel has a Victorian charm that will definitely appeal to guests who crave an alternative to the bland chain-type hotels. My "Grand Room" was extremely spacious and equipped with a gas fireplace (not terribly useful in San Diego's climate) and two ceiling fans (definitely useful). The room also had a very small balcony, which was not even large enough for sitting. The room was very clean.

While the location and the Victorian ambiance were pluses, there were several noteworthy drawbacks:
1) There was no restaurant on site or minibar in the room. There are certainly many restaurants in the local vicinity, but it's nice to have option of getting an in-room snack or onsite breakfast.
2) Noise. As mentioned by other reviewers, the neighborhood can be rather noisy, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. Outside noise was not a major problem in my room, which faced the quieter 3rd Ave. side. However, internal noise was an issue, as my ceiling creaked when the guests in the room above me moved around.
3) There was no safe in the room.
4) My room was strangely lacking in some small things that one expects to find in a hotel room. I had no hangers in the closet (these were eventually supplied by housekeeping, after two requests), there was no pen or pad of paper, no wastebasket in the bathroom, no hotel information booklet (the thing that describes the hotel amenities, etc.). Most of these things (except the clothes hangars!) aren't exactly critical to the hotel experience, but I found it curious and a bit odd that they were missing.

Overall, not an unpleasant experience, although it won't be at the top of my list when I return to SD.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Riobard A
Thank you kindly for your sincere comments and feedback. We are pleased to hear that the hotels charm was one the highlights during your stay. We have now opened our Ida Bailey's restaurant here on property which serves a wonderful breakfast buffet and will soon have a full service breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu. We are also in the process of finalizing our room renovations and your observations are surely beneficial. Thank you so much again for choosing to spend your time with us and we hope to host you again in the near future.